NEW to Firefox. How sort IE Bookmarks by Date Added?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Hypnotised

NEW to Firefox. How sort IE Bookmarks by Date Added?

Post by Hypnotised »

I'm a newbie to Mozilla Firefox. I got sick and tired of how freaking slow IE 7 and IE8 would take to load. It was ridiculous! It felt like I had dial-up!
So far I am pleased with Firefox. It loads much faster than IE 7 or 8. It loads as fast as my old IE6 used to.
I only have one problem. I imported all my IE Favorites using your import feature. I see you go to Organize bookmarks/View/Sort to sort by different configurations. The problem is, I can't seem to sort all my imported IE bookmarks by Date Added. That's how they were sorted in Internet Explorer, and that's how I know where everything is. After importing them over, they now only sort alphabetically A-Z. I see how you get to the Sort feature, but can't figure out how to sort the IE Bookmarks by Date Added. Can you do this??
Thanks.

Tom B.
sorta

Re: NEW to Firefox. How sort IE Bookmarks by Date Added?

Post by sorta »

you can view by Date Added but it's a session-only feature which reverts to the previous sort-order upon closing Firefox

click Views in the header-bar
click Sort, then pick your poison

Post by Guest »

click Views in the header-bar in the Organize Bookmarks page

Post by Guest »

for example

create a folder Feb 2009

sort bookmarks in Sort By Added sort
highlight & select your February bookmarks
in the header-bar, click Organize
click Move, and move them to Feb 2009

Post by Guest »

actually do not name the folder Feb 2009; the folders in that pattern will be scattered all over hello

something like this may be better; 2009 02 Feb, 2009 07 July

Post by Guest »

Thank you for all your extremely valuable advice. I should have been more specific. MY fault. I meant, to have my list sorted by date added in the exact same order as they were in IE! I see now that Date Added in this context, is only regarding date added within Firefox, not as it was in the previous browser before being imported. Oh well. Thanks anyway, though.
As long as I'm here, I do have one more problem in here. You know the links toolbar located in the lower right corner of your Task Bar? Next to the Notification Area? And you know how you click and drag your favicon from the address bar, or in this the Location Bar, to the Links Toolbar down below and drop it in there? Then you have the most widely used links at your fingertips down there? OK. Well, whenever I have attemped that in Firefox, the favicon that was in the Location Bar, doesn't appear the Links drop-down, or drop-up menu, in this case. It's that weird icon that looks like a white piece of paper with the upper right corner folded up. You know what I'm talking about? Why is this? How do I get this feature to work properly?

Thank you.

Tom B.

Post by Guest »

Oh! Also, when I do click on the weird piece of paper looking link in the Links toolbar on the Menu Bar, Firefox browser doesn't open! IE7 does! Weird, huh? I deleted IE8 after I installed Firefox. I didn't even think I had IE 7 installed anymore! It's certainly not in the Add or Remove Programs list. What's going on here?
Tom B.

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: And you know how you click and drag your favicon from the address bar, or in this the Location Bar, to the Links Toolbar down below and drop it in there? Then you have the most widely used links at your fingertips down there? OK. Well, whenever I have attemped that in Firefox, the favicon that was in the Location Bar, doesn't appear the Links drop-down, or drop-up menu, in this case. It's that weird icon that looks like a white piece of paper with the upper right corner folded up. You know what I'm talking about? Why is this? How do I get this feature to work properly?

Links Toolbar? this is the first time I've heard of that. :|

As for the weird icon . . . . I do have such an icon, but when I hover the cursor over it, it pops up a
"Drag selection here . . ." info balloon, and it's associated with the Clippings software.

Post by Guest »

Your Taskbar looks very different from mine. I'm running Windows XP Home on a PC.
You access the Links Toolbar by first right clicking on your Taskbar, click on Lock The Taskbaron the drop-down menu to unlock it, go to Toolbars on the Drop-down menu, and click on Links. Then this Links toolbar will appear in the lower right corner of your Taskbar. To place your favorite links in there, you drag the favicon at the beginning of your URL in the location bar, or address bar, to the the Links toolbar down below, and drop it there.
Some people have their Links Toolbar up top. I find it's too cluttered up there already. I prefer it on the Taskbar.
I attempted to paste a cropped Print Screen of my Taskbar with the toolbar for you, and also tried to paste a photo of it in my reply here, but it would not work! How did you paste that photo into your reply to me?
Thanks.
Tom B.

Post by Guest »

OK, got it, re the Links Toolbar.

Guest wrote:I attempted to paste a cropped Print Screen of my Taskbar with the toolbar for you, and also tried to paste a photo of it in my reply here, but it would not work! How did you paste that photo into your reply to me?
press the Prt Screen key to capture a "screenshot"
open Irfanview*, press Ctrl V (to paste), press Ctrl H (to sharpen focus)
crop the image as needed; save to a file
upload the file to an image-host website, such as Photobucket
copy the image-code from Photobucket, paste the code into a forum such as Mozillazine

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:Your Taskbar looks very different from mine. I'm running Windows XP Home on a PC.
I think what we're seeing is the status-bar of Firefox; the Taskbar was unwittingly hidden by the popup info balloon.
Hypnotised

Post by Hypnotised »

"copy the image-code from Photobucket, paste the code into a forum such as Mozillazine"
I tried all that but got stuck in Photobucket trying to narrow down where exactly the "image code" was. I went to View on the Menu Bar in the browser and viewed all the code, but don't know enough about code to narrow the image code down. Unless there's a way to view the image code with Photobucket itself.
Anyways, still trying to figure out why when I open a link from the Links Toolbar on the Taskbar why IE 7 still opens? I deleted that, or at least I thought i did. It's no longer in my Add or Remove Programs. When I was using IE7, the links in there were mising their favicons. They still are even though I'm using Firefox. I bet if I can figure out why IE 7 is still opening, and delete the program, it may solve the favicon problem.
Any ideas?
Thanks..

Post by Guest »

I fixed it. I went to Add/Remove Programs and clicked on the left side Add/Remove Windows Components. I unchecked Internet Explorer and it partially uninstalled.
Still not done.
Then I went to Start/Run and pasted in %windir%\ie7\spuninst\spuninst.exe . Clicked OK on Wizard and IE was COMPLETELY REMOVED from my system.
My favicons came back in the Links Toolbar and Firefox actually opens much quicker.
Thanks.

Post by Guest »

where exactly the "image code" ..
hover the cursor over the image, a pop-up will pop up
left-click on the yellow IMG Code bar
then right-click on it; click Copy
________
(optional)
    Ctrl V in the POST A REPLY space, below
    click Preview

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
where exactly the "image code" ..
hover the cursor over the image, a pop-up will pop up
assuming of course that you have already uploaded an image to Photobucket