Firefox crashes while browsing for file on PC

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
IK84

Firefox crashes while browsing for file on PC

Post by IK84 »

Recently Ive been having problems with Firefox crashing when I browse for a file. IE Say I'm on a forum and I want to upload a picture via attachment, well whenever I do that kind of process where I have to browse for a file on my pc, it crashes. So I can be on flickr, and try and upload a picture but a soon as I browse for it, crash. Only thing I can think of is perhaps is where I updated Vista to SP2.

I will say this, that perhaps its nothing wrong with firefox, but just the way it has to find files. The only other time Ive seen it on non Firefox issue is also a new occurrence. When I'm browsing for a file to send to a person over MSN Messenger, it will crash too. I tried to search for similar problems but its such a weird problem i wasn't sure how to word it to find a person with the same problem and maybe a solution. Safari,and IE work fine but Firefox is my goto browser so its not fun when its not working right.
IK84

Re: Firefox crashes while browsing for file on PC

Post by IK84 »

UPDATE : Ok as much as I can tell it happens when i try and browse for a file from the desktop. HOWEVER, if I go to C:Windows/USers/(username)/Desktop.. it doesnt crash. This is good and bad, because I can just save my files not on the desktop anymore. However I still wish I could figure out what causes this problem, because sadly MSN Messenger likes to default to the desktop, so the minute I click send file or receive file it crashes.
chris.p0

Post by chris.p0 »

bump...

i'm having this same problem and can't find any fix to it, i disabled all of my add-ons and nothing has worked. i have found a solution that disabling the add-on google gears works for people who have that, but i don't even know what that add-on is or does so that doesn't help me at all. thanks to anyone who can find a fix its extremely extremely annoying. i need to upload things everyday almost for my band's website and i haven't been able to do it in about 2 weeks now. thanks.
GiggityGeek

Post by GiggityGeek »

I'm having this problem as well. I don't know WHAT is going on with my Firefox the last couple of weeks. I am constntly having to reinstall Java. Everytime I land on a page requiring Java I have to go through the whole rigmarole again. This problem has started in the last hour. I was trying to upload a picture on Imgur and everytime I clicked to browse my pc it crashed. I tried it in Picnik as well, the same thing happened. I have uninstalled all recent addons; it hasn't helped at all.
xliquidaznx

Post by xliquidaznx »

Same issue here. Running on Vista 64 bit. Also happens with all other browsers, though. Chrome prompts a "shockwave player has crashed," while IE just closes.
Durka

Post by Durka »

Same problem here. Using Windows XP (32 bit), Firefox 3.5.1

Post by Guest »

same problem.
maybe it is with the syntax. we should beg a mod to help us and post our crash logs.

for me im downgrading to just version 3

Post by Guest »

So has anyone found a solution yet? My firefox is not runnig JScript correctly and it has started crashing when i browse for files to upload today.

Does mozilla actually know or care about these issues?
davidmmorris

Post by davidmmorris »

bump

same here on Windows 7 x64
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Since these problems have spanned some time and may be caused by different issues I would suggest these two steps...
1. Run Firefox in safe-mode and if stuff works then it's an extension causing the problem and you'll have to disable all extensions and then start enabling them until the bad one is found.
Don't check off safe-mode boxes...
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_Mode
2. Create a new profile for testing this problem out. If all works good in that new profile then the best thing to do may be to migrate stuff over to it.... or just rebuild that new profile to your liking... that's the best way to deal with a bad profile.
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Creating_a_ne ... on_Windows

Make sure that all your plugins are running with the latest versions. This link may help...
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/plugincheck/

I also use this free app. to check for updating stuff on my computer...
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal/

There is this extensive doc. with lots of test/steps to perform...
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Standard_diagnostic_-_Firefox

EDIT...
Does mozilla actually know or care about these issues?

This is MozillaZine... not Mozilla and is set up to where users are here to help users.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
RyRy.SmashBox

Post by RyRy.SmashBox »

Having the same problem.

At the moment I'm trying registry repairers and defragging.
Wish me luck.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Please don't bump these old threads.
Start a new one, stating your problem. Thanks.
Locking.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)