Firefox 3.5 won't warn me when closing multiple tabs

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
rh0000

Firefox 3.5 won't warn me when closing multiple tabs

Post by rh0000 »

I have recently upgraded to Firefox 3.5. I now find that the setting "warn me when closing multiple tabs" does not work. If I have two Firefox windows open, both with multiple tabs, then I do get the warning when I try to close the second window, but I don't get the warning when I close the original window. I have installed NewTabURL 1.6.1, which starts each new tab with my home page, and I wondered if this was causing the trouble, but the problem persists even if I disable NewTabURL. I would like to keep NewTabURL, as it is useful to have each new tab display with my home rather than a blank screen. I also want to have the facility of a warning when I close Firefox. Any ideas?
buckyaustin

Re: Firefox 3.5 won't warn me when closing multiple tabs

Post by buckyaustin »

Well first of all it was you who turned the multi-tab closing warning off........ to turn it back on
1. go to tools
2. go to options
3. go to tabs
4. the first tick the box is "warn me when closing multiple tabs"...... tick this box.....

there you go.....enjoy :P:)
Austin Breslin Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 1Gb :( 1.73 GHz Packard Bell Easy-Note
rh0000

Post by rh0000 »

buckyaustin wrote:Well first of all it was you who turned the multi-tab closing warning off........ to turn it back on
1. go to tools
2. go to options
3. go to tabs
4. the first tick the box is "warn me when closing multiple tabs"...... tick this box.....

there you go.....enjoy :P:)
No, I know I'm a bit dim when it comes to computing matters, but I'm not usually that dim. The box "warn me when closing multiple tabs" has been ticked all the time. I have tried unticking it and then ticking it again, but it makes no difference: though the option is ticked, Firefox doesn't warn me when closing multiple tabs. (Though curiously, if I open a new page in a new window (rather than a new tab), and then have multiple tabs within that second window, then I do get a warning when I try to close the second window, but not with the first window. And if I only have my multiple tabs within the one window, then I don't get the warning.)
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

In Firefox 3 you do not get the ''Save & Quit'' or the "Warn.." pop-up dialog if you choose Tools > Options > Main > Startup: "When Firefox Starts": "Show my windows and tabs from last time".
If that option is selected then your pages will already be reopened the next time.
To get that choice you have to select one of the other choices (Show my home page, Show a blank page).

You can check the "warn" prefs on the about:config page.
You can open that page via the location bar like a website.
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Browser.warnOnQuit
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Browser.warnOnRestart
ShadowsRider

Post by ShadowsRider »

I also find that the "warn me when closing multiple tabs" setting does not work. It is ticked in both the Firefox options and in the TabMixPlus options. Yet it won't warn me when I close Firefox and have multiple tabs open. I had thought it might be an extension or theme interfering, so I tried it in Firefox Safe Mode, yet it still will not warn me when I close Firefox and have multiple tabs open.

Does anyone know how to fix this?
ShadowsRider

Post by ShadowsRider »

Just wondering if anyone has found a fix for this problem, yet. :)
Airs360

Post by Airs360 »

I am having the same problem :(
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Did you re-read the thread?
dickvl posted the fix.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)

Post by Guest »

Firefox 2 always warned you, when you tried to close a window with multiple tabs open.

Firefox 3.0/3.5 does not warn you (if you want all of your windows/tabs to be automatically re-opened on each Firefox startup, and have specified so in the Options). This is a bug, I think, but according to Mozilla developers, it's a feature ;-)

Anyway, for me, Tab Mix Plus is the answer and fixes this; the warning is back, when I use Tab Mix Plus with FF 3.0.12:

http://www.optimiced.com/en/2009/07/22/ ... -tabs-fix/

(There's also a version of Tab Mix Plus, which works with FF 3.5, but it's not yet posted at @ https://addons.mozilla.org/)

Post by Guest »

I'm having the same problem. And it's not the about:config settings either.

I just upgraded from 3.5 to 3.5.1 last night, and I had hoped it would have a fix in there, but no luck so far.

I'm running the following 3 addons on a Windows XP Pro install with SP3.
Adblock Plus 1.1
DownloadHelper 4.5
Flashblock 1.5.11.2
bugged again

Post by bugged again »

It seems like there's multiple issues with this newest version of Firefox.

I had made gradual updates to 3.0, and all my old addons still worked.
The original adblock which I prefer because it can block individual pics better than adblock plus does. With adblock plus, sometimes if you try to block an individual av on a bulletin board, you wind up blocking every av on the site.

And the way that there's no warning for multiple tabs now, just plain sucks.

Also, I used to be able to clear all data by simply clicking on tools, clear data.
That's not available anymore.
Now I have to go tools, options, privacy, clear all history, clear now, ok.

That's 6 mouse clicks vs just two with Firefox 3.0

Why do software engineers always have to make the simple things harder?
Stumpy842

Post by Stumpy842 »

OK this is weird... I have two machines with FF 3.5.1 on both, and the settings in about:config for browser.tabs.warnOnClose, browser.tabs.warnOnOpen, browser.warnOnQuit (in fact all settings containing "warn") are set exactly the same. However one system does give the warning popup when multiple tabs are open and I attempt to close FF, the other does not.
Stumpy842

Post by Stumpy842 »

Stumpy842 wrote:OK this is weird... I have two machines with FF 3.5.1 on both, and the settings in about:config for browser.tabs.warnOnClose, browser.tabs.warnOnOpen, browser.warnOnQuit (in fact all settings containing "warn") are set exactly the same. However one system does give the warning popup when multiple tabs are open and I attempt to close FF, the other does not.

OK I found the answer in my scenario, and hopefully this will help others as well.

The only significant difference I could find between the two setups was, the one which did NOT give a warning when closing FF with multple tabs open did NOT have the setting for "Always check to see if Firefox is the default browser on startup" checked (Preferences, Advanced tab under System Defaults heading). After checking this option on, I now DO get the popup warning when closing FF with multiple tabs open... nice! I feel this solves the issue for me, but it's certainly not very intuitive and I still consider this to be a FF bug...
dougkramer

Post by dougkramer »

Here is the bug report:
Bug 419009 - Warning if closing multiple tabs is not working (see workaround in Comment #99)
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=419009

The workaround works for me (comment #99 in that bug report):

To be alerted every time you close a window with multiple tabs:
1. "Tools"->"Options"->"Main"->"When Firefox Starts"->"Show my homepage" or "Show a blank page"
2. about:config
3. set browser.tabs.warnOnClose to true
4. set browser.tabs.warnOnQuit to true

You can vote for the bug to be fixed and be notified of changes to the bug report. I've been on the list for over a year and it's been quite frustrating how the Firefox team has apparently done nothing to fix it.
Brandon Mitchell

Post by Brandon Mitchell »

The workaround works for me (comment #99 in that bug report)

Does it work if you are in Private Browsing mode? (Tools -> Start Private Browsing, then open two or more tabs and hit the (X) close button)