MozillaZine

Any way to prevent Firefox from using the OS native colors?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
YAOMTC

Post Posted July 15th, 2009, 9:45 pm

I'm currently using Firefox 3.5 on openSUSE 11.1 with KDE 4.2. My main browser is Opera for several reasons, though I still like and use Firefox regularly; it is only somewhat secondary. I have a problem, though. In openSUSE, my color theme (set in KDE's "Personal Settings" menu) is a dark one. Specifically, Obsidian Coast. This somehow affects both KDE and GTK applications. I want that theme to *not* affect web pages. The Web and the OS, at least for me, should be kept separate.

I don't want dark gray radio buttons on a white or otherwise brightly colored page. I don't want search bars being screwed with -- and this is one of the worst problems: if the style sheet of a page specifies an input field's text color to be black, but doesn't specify the background color, the field will be black text on a gray background; if it specifies the background color as white, but not the text color, it'll be light gray on white. ](*,)

How can I fix this?
Last edited by YAOMTC on July 15th, 2009, 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

James

Post Posted July 15th, 2009, 10:01 pm

Firefox is using the gtk themes as the KDE themes have no affect.

YAOMTC

Post Posted July 15th, 2009, 10:06 pm

So is it possible to make Firefox *not* follow the default GTK theme, then? Obviously the GTK theme was affected by the theme change somehow.

Gingerbread Man

Post Posted July 16th, 2009, 5:11 am

YAOMTC wrote:I don't want dark gray radio buttons on a white or otherwise brightly colored page.

Firefox will use scroll bars, radio buttons and drop-down buttons as specified by the OS. If you don't want that, install a custom theme. I've seen some that have custom scroll bars; I'm sure there must be some that go all the way and also skin radio buttons, drop-down buttons, etc.
YAOMTC wrote:the field will be black text on a gray background

You can use userContent.css to specify your own style for input fields.

James

Post Posted July 16th, 2009, 4:46 pm

Gingerbread Guy wrote:
YAOMTC wrote:I don't want dark gray radio buttons on a white or otherwise brightly colored page.

Firefox will use scroll bars, radio buttons and drop-down buttons as specified by the OS.

In this case the gtk2 theme in use.

Gingerbread Guy wrote:
YAOMTC wrote:the field will be black text on a gray background

You can use userContent.css to specify your own style for input fields.

True as I forgot about this as I used to do this with Firefox 2.0 and earlier with the radio and buttons, otherwise it looked like you were using Firefox on Win95.

Return to Firefox Support