disable "This Connection is Untrusted" messages

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Gingerbread Man

Re: disable "This Connection is Untrusted" messages

Post by Gingerbread Man »

Since you've already tried Safe Mode and a new profile, the only suggestion I have is to try Firefox Portable and see if you still get dialog boxes instead of error pages there.
post2forum

Post by post2forum »

Thanks for your reply and attention to this issue. As you'll notice I had edited my post after your above reply.
I did as you suggested and tried Firefox 3.5 portable. Remarkable. It works when I click the button.

I also retested 3.5 and 3.0 after that (both fail). I have no idea why 3.5 installed on my system doesn't work. And for that matter why 3.0 doesn't work either. What could possibly be the reason? None of the recent tests were sandboxed.
Gingerbread Man

Post by Gingerbread Man »

post2forum wrote:I did as you suggested and tried Firefox 3.5 portable. Remarkable. It works when I click the button.

You still don't get the error page (pictured below)?

I really can't imagine what could be the cause of that. Firefox Portable has its own profile with the default settings, none of your files and no extensions. It should definitely work. Try disabling all plug-ins from Tools > Add-ons > Plug-ins. Other than that, only software you have installed could potentially prevent XUL error pages from being displayed -- although I don't see how.
post2forum wrote:Thanks for your reply and attention to this issue.

You're welcome. I'm sorry I couldn't help you solve the problem.
post2forum

Post by post2forum »

I get the error page but when I click the button to add an exception nothing happened.

I actually figured out a solution because I tested another computer and I don't have this problem. It is the browserconfig properties file which was modified to google.com, something is wrong with that file. I found the suspect by doing a diff between the two 3.5 directories.

Copying over the default file from the working computer works.
The file now has the default info:

Code: Select all

browser.startup.homepage=http://en-US.start3.mozilla.com/firefox?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official
browser.startup.homepage_reset=http://en-US.start3.mozilla.com/firefox?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official

...and now when I click the button I get the exception dialog. Go figure. old file said browser.startup.homepage=http://www.google.com and no homepage_reset.

To confirm: Restoring the old file and restarting FF and now I don't get the exception dialog. Replacing with default file, restarting and again I get the exception dialog.

I haven't tested 3.0 yet but I'll do it tomorrow.

Thanks
post2forum

Post by post2forum »

I tested 3.0 but I still see a message box (see earlier screenshot) and no xul when I replace the browserconfig properties. Swapping the browserconfig only works in 3.5.

I downloaded a firefox 3.0 nightly and unzipped it to a folder, untouched, but I still get a message box when going through the proxy. I reinstalled firefox 3.0 and wiped the profile directory, but I still get the message box when going through the proxy.

When I do not go through the proxy in 3.0, and try to access, say light.webmoney.ru I do get the XUL page. But with proxy enabled no XUL page, message box.

Current summary-
Firefox 3.0.0.13 w/ proxy - message box
Firefox 3.0.0.13 w/o proxy - xul page, button works
Firefox 3.5.2 w & w/o proxy - xul page, button works

Since I'll probably be using 3.5 now and I have the default browserconfig file I guess it's not that big of a deal. Still weird though. Thanks for your help. It appears I've hijacked this thread.. my apologies!
audriana

Post by audriana »

WiteLite - I'm getting this on every HTTPS that I visit as well. Online banking, credit card payments, e-mail logins, shopping carts - EVERYTHING trips it. What's really bloody annoying is the fact that I will click the "view certificate" and it will tell me that the site IS presenting a valid certificate but doesn't allow me to access the site! I'm stumped and really need to make this go away as I am seriously hampered in my accessibility!
SoleSurvivor

Post by SoleSurvivor »

People, there's gotta be a way to disable all such messages. I'll tell you why. The SSL pages I visit are pages I know. I know my bank won't fool me, also, I know where I click. If someone sniff my user and pass, I don't care as well, this is just a read only online banking. My biggest issue : I work with software that generates a self-signed cert, which is not part of any official CA, but I use it for daily test. You know, new build comes, you install, and go to the admin Ui, and there is the annoying message. I KNOW it's a problem. Then, I click on "I Understand the Risks". Not all of the times the exception is added. I have to reload the page few times, while FF finally accepts the exception. Then, after 10 clicks and 2 minutes later, I'm finally able to log in ... FF 3.5.2 on OpenSuse. I tried many extensions, like experimental ones, that help passing over Mitm scenarios - they don't work. I don't have time to report all those messages and issue. I had beautiful extension - "Remember Certificate Exception" - it was totally cool robot, that does the job of clicking for ya. Now, in FF 3.5 the extension doesn't work, because someone has changed the interface of the page! Why ??? Why breaking backward compatibility of something annoying that you've introduced ? At least give us a way to restore the old behavior, or to fully disable that message.
And yes, I know about the security concerns ....
post2forum

Post by post2forum »

couldn't agree more. loved ff2 setup
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Which security software (firewall) do you have?
Some firewalls (e.g. Kaspersky) want to monitor data send via secure connections and send their own certificate instead of the certificate from the web server.
In such cases you need to install the (Kaspersky) root certificate to make Firefox recognize the issuer of the certificate.
SoleSurvivor

Post by SoleSurvivor »

I don't have firewalls, nor SELinux, no nothing. This is an intentional change in FF behavior, and I simply want a fall back. Clicking some buttons for 1 hour of my total working time is pointless. Please, get the old behavior back, or give us a way via config option to disable those checks.
planetbob

Post by planetbob »

teoli2003 wrote:To answer simply your question, you can't. And that's good.

Unless you are a software dev who wants to test their software. Then you and your 'father knows best' attitude just make you look like a *#(&.
bammin

Post by bammin »

idiots, Cisco and other internal servers use https on their appliances but hardly anyone ever registers their servers. I deal with HUNDEREDS of these and it is the most annoying thing about Firefox, almost makes me want to switch.

There it's off my chest. :)
SoleSurvivor

Post by SoleSurvivor »

bammin, one more vote for the same. There are many software pieces of code, that in testing conditions, use self-signed certs. I need this for testing people, don't enforce the good or bad policy - make it configurable and give us a way to shoot ourselves in the legs.
Else, I'd be forced to switch too, either Chrome, though it's beta, or Opera 10. I hate to say that, but wasting 30 minutes per day clicking is not my style.
transient

Post by transient »

Here's how I fixed the problem..very simple, haha.

I started to notice these messages after I changed the date on my system from 2009 to 2008 so I could run an expired .exe (the Unreal Tournament 3 demo). Maybe the rest of you having this problem did something similar? Check the date in your taskbar, make sure it's current.
churchance

Post by churchance »

Guest wrote:Check your system date and time if you've just done a fresh install, I had this same problem with a fresh install of windows and the system date and time were incorrect. I've just changed to the correct date and time and this solved my problems. Hope this helps.

great, you are right...my system changed to 2005 for some reason...score for you ..thx