disable "This Connection is Untrusted" messages

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
coal

Re: disable "This Connection is Untrusted" messages

Post by coal »

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
This new site guard would be fine, If whoever the genius at mozilla wouldve had enough brain power to think 'HEY when this notification pops up, its has not reference to mozilla or firefox! leading people to think its a virus or hijack!.

PLEASE add some sorta text authenticating that its in fact PART OF FIREFOX! not just some popup screwing around with your browser!.

Post by Guest »

This is very annoying. With all the respect, 8 pages of frustrated people and nothing is done to have an OPTION TO DISABLE THIS BS "feature". It's apparent the decision makers for firefox think less then they should. This is just enough for my patience, switching to chrome.
Last edited by LIMPET235 on March 6th, 2010, 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Softened the language used...
sparkplug_hd

Post by sparkplug_hd »

whoever had the reply about your time and date was correct. i updated that and that solved the(my) problem. hope this helps
EBCICR

Post by EBCICR »

Transient, THANK YOU!!!!

This is the most hilarious thread - ranging from "To answer simply your question, you can't. And that's good." from someone who is a computer legend in his own mind, to all sorts of far-fetched scenarios bad-mouthing Firefox, and all! I cannot believe this thread is so long! The answer is SOOOO simple, it is embarrassing! Transient resolved the problem so elegantly and efficiently! Thanks again, bud. I was barking up the wrong tree reading all those other postings that led me down the garden path! Why did I not see yours first? This is why the Internet is such an awesome source of great advice, unfortunately mingling with useless rubbish!

Post by Guest »

EBCICR wrote:Transient, THANK YOU!!!!

This is the most hilarious thread - ranging from "To answer simply your question, you can't. And that's good." from someone who is a computer legend in his own mind, to all sorts of far-fetched scenarios bad-mouthing Firefox, and all! I cannot believe this thread is so long! The answer is SOOOO simple, it is embarrassing! Transient resolved the problem so elegantly and efficiently! Thanks again, bud. I was barking up the wrong tree reading all those other postings that led me down the garden path! Why did I not see yours first? This is why the Internet is such an awesome source of great advice, unfortunately mingling with useless rubbish!

Yeah, I agree. Thanks, Transient! My system time and date were also wrong. Fixed it and away I go! I am going back to loving Firefox. No need to switch browsers when it was my own damn fault by having my system clock off!
Bluefang

Post by Bluefang »

If your system clock was wrong, part of the SSL error message should have been that the certificate had expired OR that it wasn't valid yet. If anyone had cared to mention that, it would have been simpler to resolve.

HOWEVER that's not going to stop Firefox from blocking sites with actually invalid certificates. It will just stop Firefox from mistakenly blocking certificates because your system was improperly configured.
There have always been ghosts in the machine... random segments of code that have grouped together to form unexpected protocols. Unanticipated, these free radicals engender questions of free will, creativity, and even the nature of what we might call the soul...
Michael Jackson

Post by Michael Jackson »

Bluefang, reading back your posts, there's no need of additional replies like yours. You didn't help any of the users above. There are two types of issues - wrong system date/time, and users with correct date/time, but with ever-changing environments and a deliberate change made by FF team. Bad for IT people, good for newbies. An option to fully disable that would be much appreciated, however.

Post by Guest »

i had the exact same problem, and i took the advice about changing the time dates of my computer back to normal (ive recently had problems with my computer and the dates have gone back to 2001) and that solved all my problems
DonnieMM

Post by DonnieMM »

I started getting this, this morning with Gmail and Hotmail. The Hotmail showed up as a https:
I thought it was a McAfee problem, i rebooted my computer for a McAfee update just before this started happening.
DonnieMM

Post by DonnieMM »

Just checked my date, it is at Dec 31 2001. Why do you suppose hundreds of people's computer dates reverted back to 2001? My comp at home didn't change.
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

One possibility is a dead cmos battery.
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"

Post by Guest »

In the unlikely case any Firefox developer reads this, the "This Connection is Untrusted" message suite is my single biggest issue with Firefox. If it were not for Greasemonkey not working OK in Chrome I would have already switched. The fact it cannot be disabled is plain user contempt.
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Take it to Hendrix
http://hendrix.mozilla.org/
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
_development

Post by _development »

I have read every single post with the erroneously hope that there is a way to disable the most paranoid ever seen message ...and is not.

Browsing with mozilla feels more dangerous than walking at the streets these days :mrgreen:

When I go to the "supermarket" to buy some food I don't have a "paranoid" policeman walking with me all the time, telling me "Caution, your walking is insecure, a man can interrupt your walk, put itself "in-the-middle" and (err_shot_in_your_head)"

This is dictatorship. I don't want to see these messages on any site, I don't really care if these are insecure. There is also spam in my "Error Console" with lots of entries about this stuff.
There is hundred of vulnerabilities on the browser and "they" wants make me feel that I'm browsing whit a secure browser. There is no secure browser, there is no secure web that's all an illusion and marketing weapon. Right now while I'm writing this there is more chances to someone enter in my house and kill me to steal me something, than a hack to this post which goes under http://

What's the point, lose "users", the normal users, these that are so protected on bugzilla bugs. Don't get it.

This is more annoying than a advertising, in an advertising (popup which firefox is not blocking even when there is selected "block popups") you just press the [x] button. With all that SSL stuff some buttons are disabled and really don't understand the messages. ](*,)

Thank for reading, wait.. look behind you, there is a sound outside..
teoli2003

Post by teoli2003 »

_development wrote:Browsing with mozilla feels more dangerous than walking at the streets these days :mrgreen:

No. If you have this message often, or on any known brand, it means you have a problem. Only self-signed certificates, and no official brand use it, should trigger this message. I go on https sites every hour, and it is months since I haven't this kind of message!

In that case, you can add an exception for the special (small, but legitimate) shop that you trust. A permanent exception will be set once and only once (per certificate lifetime of course).

The only case where it is annoying is for people managing devices (often 100s of them) generating a self-signed certificate at each reboot or so: in this case, adding an exception is pointless. But this is a very special use case.

If you get the message often, on several sites:
  1. check your system date (a wrong system date will make legitimate certificates appear expirated, or not yet valid). It looks stupid but more than 50% of the problems reported here where caused by this!
  2. check your security software, some are intercepting https connection, really conducted a MiM interception. In that case, either deactivate the feature, either add the proxy certificate to the list of trusted CA. In the latter case, your are delegating all your security to it, which may or may not be a good idea.
  3. post an exact, full copy of the message you are getting, along with the site URL and a description of your use case in a new thread in this support forum so that we can analyze what is happening with your system.