disable "This Connection is Untrusted" messages

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
arielCo

Re: disable "This Connection is Untrusted" messages

Post by arielCo »

In that case, you can add an exception for the special (small, but legitimate) shop that you trust. A permanent exception will be set once and only once (per certificate lifetime of course).

I don't need to "trust" every single website, e.g. those I reach from a Google search. I intend to get in, read the info to see if that helps me, get out; I don't expect to get "cooties" just from loading a page (indeed I've been browsing the Web since 1992, before it could be used for any sort of attack, and *never* caught anything through a webpage). Now, having to do the "I Understand the Risks > Add Exception > Get certificate (huh?) > Confirm Security Exception" dance every time I want to read a message at a forum / mailing list archive becomes ANNOYING quickly.
kern

Post by kern »

If you're getting the message constantly when browsing the Internet, it's likely that something is wrong with your setup, not Firefox itself.
Guy with solution

Post by Guy with solution »

There is a module to fix this issue, the module is at https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/79787
teoli2003

Post by teoli2003 »

The problem of arielCo will not be solved by the extension: when you visit 99.99% of the sites you reach from a Google search, you do not need to add an exception. ArielCo states that it needs to do this very very often, every time he want to read a message at a forum! He clearly has another problem: either somebody is hijacking his https connections or something is badly configured on his router or his computer.

The MiTM extension is aimed to help people with a special use case (network administrator and so). Normal user should not need this; if they do they have a real problem and they should solve this one, not trying to cure the symptom.

Post by Guest »

Just a FYI here for people to check whether there's a problem:

In Google, try a search for inurl:https

If there's a warning for every page then there's a problem with your system, not Firefox - I had one warning out of the first ten results btw.
_development2

Post by _development2 »

I've read a lot of stupid posts in this thread. For God's sake people, are you out of your mind ? Do you really use Firefox, thus suggesting that the issue is in "your" setup ? Let me draw a clear conclusion - the above-mentioned behavior is purely intentional piece of code, introduced in FF 3.5. In these days everything is security, FF was a little behind on security features and decided to put those enormously stupid warning screen. I gotta tell you, however, that for development purposes, some guys use self-signed certificate. It would be extremely stupid to buy real, trusted cert from a CA, for every build ? Have you ever heard of build systems that can produce more than 2 builds for one business day ? So, every time you need to click three times to get into your own software, just because Mozilla have decided to 'protect' you ... There were many complaints from the users, but it seems that Mozilla doesn't really read those messages. Fortunately, now there's a solution - "Guy with solution" posted it two messages above me, and it works great - it will make me stay with FF. Mozilla, please, make sure not to screw the things this time, OK ?
teoli2003

Post by teoli2003 »

_development2:
1) Your use case is not the common use case;
2) You don't need to regenerate a new certificate in each build, just reuse it;
3) If you really want to continue generating the certificate, don't make it auto-signed, sign it by your own unique CA (auto-signed) and add this one to your Firefox, then the generated certificate will be valid as you have trusted yourself as a CA.

These are the right way to process. If you don't, so long, your problem: that's normal that Firefox warns you on each new autosigned certificate he met as there is no other way to guarantee the integrity of the user.
2X5TF9

Post by 2X5TF9 »

teoli2003, that's not the point - I can do all of those tricks, but it's FF's fault for changing the behavior without option to revert it - a simple chance for a person who knows what he's doing to shoot himself in the leg. And no, I will not change neither my build process, nor my software, just because Mozilla will play safe. It used to be OK, then it wasn't. Mercifully, there's a cure - the above-mentioned addon. The worst thing is that I spent a lot time complaining in different forums, even cursing in some posts, but no one really cares about what's written in the forums or discussion pages. I really changed my mind about the people leading the project. In the end, the software is meant to be used by users, not only FF developers, right ?
And something funny - even the captcha code doesn't work correctly :) What was I thinking ...
michigancur

Post by michigancur »

Bluefang wrote:
3. Mozilla is not preventing you from visiting the site (or all into the snake pit as you say). The only thing it does is slightly slow you down, and it only takes a couple seconds to add an exception.

actually it is. I have a site for work I cannot view the site. I get the framing layout and a few of the basic HTML parses. but the main part of the frames are covered up by this annoyance. if I click to view the problem it says

"this site provides valid,verified identification. there is no need to add an exception"

the only option I have is to close

there is no way around it. no matter how many refreshes or page loads I cannot get the link I need to log onto the page. I have ended up using an IE extension and having it auto load the page in IE.

so yes, it is preventing me from visiting pages

please stop regurgitating the same lines over and over. apparently your solution does not work for everyone.
Bluefang

Post by Bluefang »

I get the framing layout and a few of the basic HTML parses. but the main part of the frames are covered up by this annoyance. if I click to view the problem it says

"this site provides valid,verified identification. there is no need to add an exception"

That sounds more like a problem with the site, rather than Firefox (many internal corporate web applications are not Firefox friendly). Do you have problems with previous versions of Firefox (3.5, 3.0, 2.0)? Some screenshots might help to figure out what's going on.

That could be a bug, but since this is likely an internal site that Mozilla can not access, it's not likely they'd be able to fix it. Feel fee to file a bug. Be sure to include all of the information you possibly can. I.e. the exact SSL error messages, screenshots, certificate information, etc.
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/
There have always been ghosts in the machine... random segments of code that have grouped together to form unexpected protocols. Unanticipated, these free radicals engender questions of free will, creativity, and even the nature of what we might call the soul...
teoli2003

Post by teoli2003 »

2X5TF9 wrote:The worst thing is that I spent a lot time complaining in different forums, even cursing in some posts, but no one really cares about what's written in the forums or discussion pages.

Nobody leading the project read these forums (on a regular basis). We are not Mozilla, neither related to them. If you expect developers to read your message here, you're wrong.
Timestamp

Post by Timestamp »

Thank you to those few people in here that really helped with the issue. Unfortunately, the overall jackassedness of teoli2003 and Bluefang seemed to dominate this forum. I wish you two self important, pompous jack@$ses took the time to really assist when you replied to a question, instead you come across as @%$-holes. Bluefang, it sounds like you really want to help, but sometimes that big computer genius ego gets in the way. teoli, you my friend, need to come out from under that bridge and play in traffic.
trolly

Post by trolly »

Well, everything is said -> Locking.
@Timestamp: If you were a regular member you would have deserved - at least - a warning.
Think for yourself. Otherwise you have to believe what other people tell you.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Constitution says: One man, one vote. Supreme court says: One dollar, one vote.