Experiencing Technical Difficulties

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Denise Taylor

Experiencing Technical Difficulties

Post by Denise Taylor »

I am able to open up my email but on the left hand side of the Inbox window the following notice constantly appears: "We are experiencing technical difficulties at the moment and your chats may not be sent". This has been going on for several days. I can open an email - it appears very briefly, then screen almost immediately returns to the Inbox listings. Is anyone else getting this problem? My email is with sky and I have phoned them - they say the problem is not coming from them, and would be with my server, which is Firefox.
DanRaisch

Re: Experiencing Technical Difficulties

Post by DanRaisch »

No, Firefox is not your server, it is your browser. And the message is not coming from Firefix.
Are you using Thunderbird to access that SKY account or are you using Firefox to access their web mail page?
Denise Taylor

Post by Denise Taylor »

DanRaisch wrote:No, Firefox is not your server, it is your browser. And the message is not coming from Firefix.
Are you using Thunderbird to access that SKY account or are you using Firefox to access their web mail page?
Thank you for your reply - I am sorry that I am totally ignorant about computers and I don't know who I am using to access SkYS web page - I haven't heard of Thunderbird so assume that is not what I am using. Can you advise how I can find out what I am using to access my SKY account please?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Well, you are using Firefox version 3.0.11 as your browser. We can tell that from the user agent string that appears at the bottom of your forum posts. Does the Sky account appear as a page in the browser?
Denise Taylor

Post by Denise Taylor »

I am sorry that I don't know how to ascertain if or where the ~Sky account appears as a page in the browser. Can you advise where I can find this? Where should I look please?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Right now you are using Firefox (your browser) to read my reply and post your own response on this page. If you want to read and send a message from that Sky account, would you launch another program or would you continue to work in Firefox to access that account?

Note that at this point it really doesn't make any difference to the problem you posted in the first place. That error message, referring to Technical Difficulty, did not come from Firefox.
Denise Taylor

Post by Denise Taylor »

I would go out of this page by looking at the bar that runs along at the top of my screen which shows things I use regularly, and click on the word SKY which would take me to my email page. When I start up in the morning I go to START by clicking onto the Windows blue "globe" (which has the four coloured squares in it) , a pop-up appears with programme choices, I go to the very top and click on "Internet - Mozilla Firefox". The SKY page then appears and I log in. I can go out of this page I am on now by clicking the Red cross at the top right hand corner of my computer screen. That takes me to my desk-top picture. To go back to SKY, I would go to the Windows blue globe as described above.

Along the top of my computer, in addition to the word SKY, I have Google, Facebook, Ancestry and some others - I can click on them at any time without logging out of what I am already looking at, and the relevant page appears.
Also on the pop-up I have Windows Mail, and Microsoft Office Word. I am about to retire for the night, so will see if you have replied in the morning, but in the meantime I thank you for your kind assistance.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

So, yes, you are using the browser to access Sky's web mail page. And that error is still coming from Sky and not from Firefox itself.
Denise Taylor

Post by Denise Taylor »

Good morning - thanks for your advice and help. I now know more about browers and servers. You are correct - A message has just come up saying "We are back" which I take to mean that the technical difficulty has been sorted out (hopefully permanently!). I had sent an emailed message to Sky Customer Services yesterday - perhaps that prompted some action. Once again, thank you for your assistance.
James

Post by James »

askmehow guest, I splitted your post to viewtopic.php?f=38&t=1379065 because it was unrelated to this one and because you are not the same OP guest.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You're welcome, Denise.