MozillaZine

Firefox stops responding to mouse

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Xagest

Post Posted August 6th, 2009, 6:42 pm

Every now and then, Firefox will just stop responding to mouse clicks. The menus, tabs, and hyperlinks just don't do anything when I click. To get Firefox to respond again, I have to switch to a different window, then switch back.

I'm running Windows XP SP3 on Firefox 3.5 (this was happening on Firefox 3.0 as well. I thought upgrading would fix it, but it didn't).

Bazzz

Post Posted August 7th, 2009, 1:20 am

I have the same problem I am using a logitech wireless mouse wondered if that was the cause

Lock -n-Load

Post Posted August 14th, 2009, 7:30 am

same issue here.. VERY annoying so I opt to use a diff browser.

LoudNoise

Post Posted August 14th, 2009, 8:24 am

If you are using a mouse that is either wireless or add a number of features make sure that you have up-to-date drivers for it. The drivers that came with it can be months old.

If the mouse includes any helper programs turn those off.
Post wrangler
Notice: If you have a comment on moderation, please post here viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2706389 and don't private message a mod. I don't reply to private messages unless I have previously requested them

Xagest

Post Posted August 16th, 2009, 12:32 pm

It's not exclusive to a single mouse, though. I've used two separate mice, as well as the two built into my laptop (a touchpad and a nub mouse).

LoudNoise

Post Posted August 16th, 2009, 2:42 pm

Is it happening on more then one computer?
Post wrangler
Notice: If you have a comment on moderation, please post here viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2706389 and don't private message a mod. I don't reply to private messages unless I have previously requested them

Post Posted August 18th, 2009, 8:36 am

I haven't really used another computer regularly, but I haven't seen this happening on other computers.

wmcbrine

Post Posted August 21st, 2009, 9:19 pm

I'm seeing this on my mother's new government-issued laptop -- Win XP SP3 + an excessive amount of security software, like "Guardian Edge" -- with both 3.5.x and 3.0.x. (I started with 3.5 and tried downgrading, with no change.) Never saw anything like it before.

JDxx76

Post Posted August 26th, 2009, 8:42 am

Dang...been having this problem. Seems like Firefox stops responding while it's loading a page. But, sometimes it takes a few tries to get a click to register. At the same time, while I click...up on the top it says that Firefox is not Responding. This just started happening with the latest upgrade of Firefox.

Xagest

Post Posted October 30th, 2009, 9:12 am

Still seeing this issue, and one of my friends have been seeing it as well (switched to Chrome because of it).

Post Posted October 31st, 2009, 2:31 pm

Same, I've been running it in safe mode, and it doesn't seem to be any different

Return to Firefox Support