Full Step-By-Step Guide: ActiveX\Windows Media\Launch.com

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Vectorspace

Post by Vectorspace »

I've tried with the RC1 milestone - no luck.
For some reason, Firefox doesn't recognise the Netscape npmozax.dll as being allowed to run video. Firefox falls back on the WMP plugin (if present) or just says you have to download a plugin to view it. The WMP plugin doesn't work properly either - but then it didn't in 1.0PR.
"All things being equal, the simplest answer is usually the correct one" - Occam's Razor
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:5.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/5.0
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:5.0) Gecko/20110624 Thunderbird/5.0
din100

Post by din100 »

hmm it's always a pain :(. y can't launch uses video like the other sites.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8b4) Gecko/20050908 (No IDN) Firefox/1.4
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X Mach-O; en-US; rv:1.8b4) Gecko/20050908 (No IDN) Firefox/1.4
Old RPGM35

Post by Old RPGM35 »

seems to me FF claims flash caused an illigal error sometimes when viewing sites that have flash(maybe activex?) and on www.tsn.ca , it breaks using 1.0rc. hope it hlps
AnonEmoose

Post by AnonEmoose »

Vectorspace wrote:The WMP plugin doesn't work properly either - but then it didn't in 1.0PR.
Not sure what u mean by that, WMP plugin (ndsplay.dll) does work properly in 1.0PR... do u have a link where WMP plugin doesn't work properly?
ninja_style

Post by ninja_style »

When will this be available for Mozilla Firefox 1.0 RC1 version? I just updated to this, and it doesn't seem to work with the new version!
Vectorspace

Post by Vectorspace »

If you read the first few lines of the guide, you'll see that I haven't been able to get it working in RC1, and that the guide does not apply to RC1. I have no idea if/when I'll be able to get it working.
Since RC1 isn't a milestone release, it might be that there are instabilities or something that are stopping the Netscape version of the plugin from working. I might have more luck with RC2 or 1.0. We'll have to wait and sdee.

AnonEmoose wrote:Not sure what u mean by that, WMP plugin (ndsplay.dll) does work properly in 1.0PR... do u have a link where WMP plugin doesn't work properly?

I found that the video was blank unless right-clicked on the video, and went into and out of options.
"All things being equal, the simplest answer is usually the correct one" - Occam's Razor
milchschnitte

Post by milchschnitte »

Hey vectorspace, thanx for summing the previous thread up so nicely!

Will you find a way for it to work in 1.0rc or should we wait for a more knowledgable on the issue (like AnonEmoose :D) ?
Vectorspace

Post by Vectorspace »

AnonEmoose plans to wait for the next public official release before ActiveX testing, which RC1 is not.
I doubt I will find a way to get it working with RC1, and I will attempt to explain why:
When using the Netscape version of the plugin in 1.0PR, embedded windows media would play.
Whe using the same version in 1.0RC1, embedded windows media would not play, and Firefox told me I needed to download a plugin. It would seem that RC1 has changes in the way Firefox recognises and uses plugins. I'm hoping it's just a bug - we'll have to wait and see.
AnonEmoose

Post by AnonEmoose »

Vectorspace wrote:....
AnonEmoose wrote:Not sure what u mean by that, WMP plugin (ndsplay.dll) does work properly in 1.0PR... do u have a link where WMP plugin doesn't work properly?

I found that the video was blank unless right-clicked on the video, and went into and out of options.
I would guess that has to do with the page coding... That possibly can happen if the embed/object code says "autostart=false" or if u use adblock and the "ad" (often shown prior to viewing actual video as been blocked). ANother instance is possible depending on the javascript code (did u see any errors in the javascript console ?? ). In my experience what u describe though is fairly infrequent (for me). if u find a link post it and i will check it out....
Vectorspace

Post by Vectorspace »

startrek.com video exhibited that problem.
AnonEmoose

Post by AnonEmoose »

Vectorspace wrote:startrek.com video exhibited that problem.
I have no problem viewing it with either plugin ... Perhaps an extension u have installed is creating the problem... Do u have the Allow Right Click extension installed (it's no longer needed BTW)
NanoFxJ

Post by NanoFxJ »

Thanks a lot man, it works now

Firefox rocksssssss
It was the best of times, it was the worst of times...
Vectorspace

Post by Vectorspace »

AnonEmoose wrote:I have no problem viewing it with either plugin ... Perhaps an extension u have installed is creating the problem... Do u have the Allow Right Click extension installed (it's no longer needed BTW)

Ok, something strange now. When I last tried startrek.com with the wmp plugin (1.0PR, Win98), the video was fine unless I changed the volume. Then it went blank until I went into and out of the embedded player options. When I was experimenting with 1.0RC1 (with a new profile, also in Win98), the video image was not there - instead I got the Federation logo with 'Transmission Commencing' (or similar) below it. This image flashed completely black intermittently. The video would only be visible if I dragged a window over the video image, or in fullscreen. I uninstalled RC1 and went back to PR, but it didn't go back to the old problem. I thought it must be something left over in the registry from RC1. But now it's doing it in my other OS (Win2k), so startrek.com must have changed how they handle their video's.

So how you can see it with the wmp plugin is beyond me. What os do you use?
AnonEmoose

Post by AnonEmoose »

I use Win 98...

ps. Seven of Nine... mmmmm lol
Filipp0s

Post by Filipp0s »

AnonEmoose, can you review this?

What I did: In Adam Lock's ActiveX Plugin, I replaced the npmozax.dll with the netscape 7.2 one, and changed the activex.js content to the one described in step 10.

Would this work correctly?