strange firefox font problem in vista 64

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
firefoxownz

strange firefox font problem in vista 64

Post by firefoxownz »

hello everyone,

i installed vista 64 bit. when i go to digg.com and bury a story, the font has a strange color and looks messed up.

here's a screenshot:
http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/2518/s ... 111193.png

i'm using firefox 3.5.2. same thing happens with firefox in safe mode. if i use internet explorer, the font looks correct.

i did not have this problem in vista 32 bit. also, i tested this on a 32 bit xp computer with firefox 3.5.2 and it does not have the problem.

what's going on?

thanks
firefoxownz

Re: strange firefox font problem in vista 64

Post by firefoxownz »

there is a bug here. the font problem happens on flickr too when deleting pictures. it's something to do with firefox + 64 bit vista.

if i use the IE engine within firefox (using IE Tab), there are no font problems.
Gingerbread Man

Post by Gingerbread Man »

Hi,

It seems be caused by the combination of ClearType and opacity. With font smoothing disabled or set to Standard, it doesn't happen. I've added comment #42 to bug 363861, since this particular issue didn't seem to be reported.
firefoxownz

Post by firefoxownz »

Gingerbread Man wrote:Hi,

It seems be caused by the combination of ClearType and opacity. With font smoothing disabled or set to Standard, it doesn't happen. I've added comment #42 to bug 363861, since this particular issue didn't seem to be reported.

thank you for figuring this out!

not using cleartype makes the problem go away on my computer too.

i read the comments on that bugpage and someone previously made a html page that shows off the problem really good:
https://bug363861.bugzilla.mozilla.org/ ... ?id=321706