Pandora will not work in Firefox

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Bluefang

Re: Pandora will not work in Firefox

Post by Bluefang »

There have always been ghosts in the machine... random segments of code that have grouped together to form unexpected protocols. Unanticipated, these free radicals engender questions of free will, creativity, and even the nature of what we might call the soul...

Post by Guest »

happened all of a sudden. pandora was working fine and now suddenly just a white screen. why why why???
Pandora Help

Post by Pandora Help »

Glad to hear other people are having the same problem. Feel a little stupid that I deleted all my add-ons. Whatever. Well, it seems like it is a bug with Firefox. Anyone registered and want to report this on bugzilla?
Bluefang

Post by Bluefang »

Ok, I looked in to it further because I'm also having the problem.

Looks like the certificate they're using for their secure connections (i.e. https://www.pandora.com/radio/tuner_8_8_0_2_pandora.swf ) is nor valid (Error code: sec_error_unknown_issuer). Most likely it is a problem with the site.

Try contacting customer support
http://www.pandora.com/support/

For the record, Pandora looks to be broken on ALL versions of Firefox, so most likely not a Firefox problem.
There have always been ghosts in the machine... random segments of code that have grouped together to form unexpected protocols. Unanticipated, these free radicals engender questions of free will, creativity, and even the nature of what we might call the soul...
CircumventingNormalProcedures

Post by CircumventingNormalProcedures »

Ok, the above post basically gave you everything you need to fix the issue. But in case anyone couldn't quite muster up the solution, here it is:

-Go to the link listed above (again it is: https://www.pandora.com/radio/tuner_8_8_0_2_pandora.swf )

-When the page loads, it will tell you the site has an invalid security certificate. However, you can click Add Exception. Now, unless you are paranoid and feel Pandora to be unsafe, just go ahead and add the exception (just a few clicks, not rocket science)

- You should then see the Pandora loading box in the screen, close that tab, because you shouldn't be launching that page by itself. Now open Pandora like normal from http://pandora.com and enjoy :)
C_T

Post by C_T »

I had Pandora on a short time ago and it was working fine. Didn't change a thing. Maybe I didn't listen long enough? I only had it on for a few songs.

Edit: Same when using the link above. Loaded, played. No invalid certificate message. Which is not to say what has been posted is not valid. Just not having the problem here.
Last edited by C_T on August 19th, 2009, 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by 564454 »

Unfortunately your not cool like me and installed the Internet Exploder tab add-on for firefox. This remarkable piece of software allows you to switch rendering engines(browsers) in any firefox tab on the fly. I just wish there was a shortcut key for switching.

Here's the link:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1419
a;skdjfajf;ak

Post by a;skdjfajf;ak »

564454 wrote:Unfortunately your not cool like me and installed the Internet Exploder tab add-on for firefox. This remarkable piece of software allows you to switch rendering engines(browsers) in any firefox tab on the fly. I just wish there was a shortcut key for switching.

Here's the link:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1419

And while your being 'cool', you do realize I hope that everytime you use IE Tab, your actually using IE, and anything you view, download, etc... is being stored by IE, not Firefox. Thus leaving a solid trail of your habits, visits etc, and Firefox will not clean out those files... Still enjoying it ?
Straightbourbon

Post by Straightbourbon »

Anonymous wrote:I've seen this just today on firefox portable (and firefox). firefox portable wasn't up to date. i updated it and it still didn't work. I'm on a 32 bit system. everything works fine in IE and chrome.

Seems odd this happened all of a sudden.
I had this problem on Firefox 3.5.2 on Vista, but NOT with 3.5.2 on XP! It appears to be a security issue, so perhaps my settings are different somewhere.

I finally fixed it on Vista!
1) Go to Pandora and get your blank screen
2) Click some link at the bottom such as about Pandora
3) Sign out
4) Sign in
5) At this point, firefox should give you a security warning. You will want to accept this. (Accept the risks.) You can uncheck the box that will add this site as a permanant exception. If you do that, you will have to repeat these steps every time you restart firefox.

Then it started working for me. I tested this by exiting firefox and restarting it. Since I did NOT make the exception permanent, Pandora once again failed to load (blank white area on screen where player should appear.)

The I repeated the steps above (sign out, sign in, accept security risk when prompted), and pandora would then play.

-Bill
Bluefang

Post by Bluefang »

Don't add exceptions to certificates unless you know you can trust them

The nature of this problem makes me suspicious. Yes, it could have just been a server problem or they incorrectly installed the certificate. But it could have also been foul play (i.e. it got hacked). That's why I suggested contacting their support instead of just adding an exception.

But regardless, it's working again.
a;skdjfajf;ak

Post by a;skdjfajf;ak »

Wierd, I listened for about hour or more this morning, then suddenly it wanted to know if I was still listening. No button to say yes, and it won't do anything now until I register. Deleted all the Pandora cookies, same thing.. takes me direct to registration page...
C_T

Post by C_T »

Littlemutt wrote:Wierd, I listened for about hour or more this morning, then suddenly it wanted to know if I was still listening. No button to say yes, and it won't do anything now until I register. Deleted all the Pandora cookies, same thing.. takes me direct to registration page...

Forgive this dumb question, Littlemutt, but were you registered before? Because if not it may let you listen for awhile and then prompt you to register. I think there is also something built in to keep people from turning it on and walking away that requires your participation once in awhile. I don't remember the reason they gave for this, but I seem to recall reading one once.

Also, Pandora stores information in Flash cookies outside of the browser, but I'm guessing you know this. (?)
a;skdjfajf;ak

Post by a;skdjfajf;ak »

@C_T, not a dumb question. I had not used the site before trying to test this bug, so I had never registered. Didn't even think about the flash-cookie... Off to delete that .. Thanks

EDIT: That fixed it, deleting the flash-cookie...
Smokes

Post by Smokes »

Today, Pandora seems to be working again. I guess it didn't have anything to do with the 64-bit issue I mentioned earlier. At least it works again.
James

Post by James »

Pandora Help wrote:Whatever. Well, it seems like it is a bug with Firefox. Anyone registered and want to report this on bugzilla?

Just because some Firefox users are having a problem with a website does not automatically mean it is a Firefox problem.

I cannot view Pandora site as they block IP's outside of US.