Fast Browser Search won't go away!

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
unclemole

Fast Browser Search won't go away!

Post by unclemole »

It used to be that when I opened a new tab... It was blank and the cursor would automatically go to the url so I could type in my new destination and be on my way. However, past few days (after a Firefox update or two) I get this "Welcome to Tabbed Browsing" title (see link below for picture), and the cursor goes right to their search bar. Not acceptable!

I've tried to uninstall "Fast Browser Search" but it keeps coming back. I just want it to go away so I can get it to work like it used to. Thanks!

http://i32.tinypic.com/25g44sh.jpg
Gingerbread Man

Re: Fast Browser Search won't go away!

Post by Gingerbread Man »

1. Exit all browsers.
  2. Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs. Uninstall "Fast Browser search protection" and "Fast Browser Search (MyTattoo)".
  3. In Firefox, open Tools > Add-ons > Extensions and uninstall any related extensions if they're still there.
  4. To restore your search settings, see pccybertek.com.
  5. Also check your add-ons in Internet Explorer from Tools > Manage Add-ons.
unclemole

Post by unclemole »

It never appeared in my list of programs to be uninstalled but I did uninstall it from the add-ons section. It's still there.
Aranxa

Post by Aranxa »

I have the same problem I've tryed everything posted in different places, including uninstall firefox completly, run CCleaner, find with I-don't-know-how-much antivirus programs, get to about:config in FF and reset everything related to fast browser, get my pc to a previous state and restore system (wich I don't know why I couldn't), and a laaaaarge etc, I've tryed almost everything, and as you say, it doesn't appear on the add-ons.

So please, what we should do to get rid of this horrible thing!!!!!

That side should be banned or something......
unitcharlie

Post by unitcharlie »

Go to the registry (make a back-up first) and look for "My Web Tatto", "Fast Browser Search", "Make the Web Better" among others.... just delete those entries.... Make sure you look for "Search Guard" and "Search Guard Plus" and uninstall those from Control Panel and remove them in the Registry... I finally got rid of the pesky garbage-ware after a judicious application of SpyBot Search and Destroy..... Now, after all of this my bookmarks box opens to its normal width then diminishes to only a few pixels wide, any ideas?
Swatmedic

Post by Swatmedic »

Part of your registry deletion
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Still shows in your user agent: FBSMTWB

You can check the general.useragent.extra prefs on the about:config page.
Use the Filter bar at the top: general.useragent
If any general.useragent prefs are bold (user set) then right-click that pref and choose "Reset".
tonyfair

Post by tonyfair »

I use firefox. I tried about:config and it didn't work. FBsearch wasn't in add-remove or Firefox Extensions. I went to windows search and just used fb search. When you scroll down you will find a fbsearchtoolbar.jar file and a fbsearchtoolbar.manifest file, delete them. Now I don't have Fast browser search in my view toolbars menu. Seem to have gotten rid of it for good.
Saintlouisguy

Post by Saintlouisguy »

This is what i had to do, Look in your "Start" > "Program Files" look for 1 or 2 folders with the name "Search Guard Plus" and any other folder with "Search Guard" Label. That's where that piece of **** Fast Search Browser is hiding. Then Go to your "ADD Remove" find the files with the name "Search Guard" and remove it. then find the "Fast Search Browsers" and delete that piece of ***. I also recommend http://www.pctools.com/ get the Spy doctor program had it for years and never got a virus. **** Mcaffe and Norton
Last edited by LoudNoise on October 30th, 2009, 11:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Edited for language - Vectorspace And a couple more -LN
Saintlouisguy

Post by Saintlouisguy »

UPDATE: It work bye bye Fast Search Browers
Vectorspace

Post by Vectorspace »

Please watch the language - this is an all-ages forum.
"All things being equal, the simplest answer is usually the correct one" - Occam's Razor
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:5.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/5.0
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:5.0) Gecko/20110624 Thunderbird/5.0
Annie-O

Post by Annie-O »

Would it be SGPSA? There's a file named BHO.dll. That's all I can find that is similar to System Guard.
Isolderavenheart

Post by Isolderavenheart »

I need help getting rid of this monster. I did a search and deleted all the files associated with it. I went to add/remove and didn't find anything there. I went to the add-ons and uninstalled it. I went into program files and deleted everything there it was listed with and I did the about:config and reset everything. Close out of browser and restart and it still has the toolbar and the new tab opened defaults to it still. Go into the about:config and its reset back to fastwebbrowser. Am I missing something or skipping a step? I can't get this off my PC please help me. Thanks
Gopher John

Post by Gopher John »

The link below may help with the removal of Fast Browser Search.
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=51697&highlight=Fast+Browser+Search
The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them. - Albert Einstein
e_mortal

Post by e_mortal »

I tried everything but ended up doing a clean reinstallation of FF. That worked!