Firefox not finding websites on first attempt

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

For those of you that have the problem intermittently, see if this thread helps:

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... config+dns
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 115.0.02 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 115.2.0/115.0.1 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
flgatr

Post by flgatr »

Checked my settings, and "change status bar text" is already checked.
FL Gator
jsams

Post by jsams »

Same issue with Mac OSX 10.3.5. Put in Accuweather, and the message was "trying to resolve host". I went to my XP laptop (on the same home network) and used Firefox for the exact same site and got it no problem.
J Sams
djbrock

Post by djbrock »

Oh well, it didn't work for me. Thanks Ohman. I'm using sysmatrix.net to connect and I believe it is this.
orban

Post by orban »

Wow, this solved that time out problem I had for months once for all. NICE.
Mr.Flibble

Post by Mr.Flibble »

This may be of some use to those on a Corpoate LAN and have this problem:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=145033
pisces9933

Post by pisces9933 »

I have the exact same problem but now it's evolved: when I go to sites I have previously visited (particularly aol, yahoo, and recently eBay), my browser cannot find the site. Refreshing doesn't help and neither does restarting the computer. I've followed the above suggestion and that hasn't help. I checked my computer for viruses and found nothing. I've also noticed it moves a bit slower recently (meaning this past week) and that images either take forever to load or do not load at all. If I go to a webpage with icons, those have ceased to load. It's really quite obnoxious.

Post by Guest »

please check your adblock or other filtering extensions.
you sure have something misconfigured.

Post by Guest »

I am having the same problem, and have tried all suggested remedies, to no avail. My problem seemed to have "evolved", as well as I never had the problem a few weeks ago, then over a week ago I had it occasionally. Now it occurs frequently. Many times a website can't be found until the third attempt. My usually fast BB connection now seems to be just clunking along. I have a 256 Mb pc, with 1600+ Athlon XP processor and an ethernet connection. I do not use extensions and my HD is 93% free. I have no viruses or spyware. I believe that the problem may have started shortly after installing the update to 1.0 PR
Jolene

Post by Jolene »

Anonymous wrote:I am having the same problem, and have tried all suggested remedies, to no avail. My problem seemed to have "evolved", as well as I never had the problem a few weeks ago, then over a week ago I had it occasionally. Now it occurs frequently. Many times a website can't be found until the third attempt. My usually fast BB connection now seems to be just clunking along. I have a 256 Mb pc, with 1600+ Athlon XP processor and an ethernet connection. I do not use extensions and my HD is 93% free. I have no viruses or spyware. I believe that the problem may have started shortly after installing the update to 1.0 PR
Ditto that. It is very frustrating. Could it have something to do with memory usage. I seem to have better luck if I minimize FF frequently,which is a pain. I, however notice only a slight decrease in speed, but have occasional hangs that I hadn't before. I've done 3 reinstalls w/ new profiles, and tried all suggestions I, too, have no extensions, just the Nautical theme....and eliminating that didn't help.

P.S. I seem to be over 25k of memory usage when this happens.
dsearles

Post by dsearles »

I am seeing this problem on 3 different computers. Similar to the previous post, I began seeing this problem (website can't be found) 2 to 3 weeks ago. Unfortunately I can't remember if it was before I downloaded the most recent Firefox security patch or before. (If the security patch wasn't available a few weeks ago, the security patch isn't the issue.) This problem has definitely surfaced since using 1.0PR. I did not have this problem on previous Firefox versions.

The "web site can't be found" problem occurs frequently, but is random. When a page return fails in Firefox, I can switch over to IE and immediately bring up the same page that failed in Firefox. This almost seems to clear the problem in Firefox because I can switch back to Firefox and immediately bring up the site that previously failed.

I have also run the Bandwidth Tester Extension when a page return has failed and I've gotten two different responses.

Response One - The tester returns an error indicating no connection. Yet I am immediately able to bring up a page in IE
Response Two - The tester runs and returns my connection speed. When this happens I try reloading the page that failed in Firefox and it loads.

I tried the fix of toggling network.dns.disableIPv6 on one of the computers a short time ago and spent a few minutes browsing different sites. I didn't have any page loading failures so it either fixed the problem or it was too short of a test run and I just got lucky.

If the network.dns.disableIPv6 setting had the same default setting in previous versions of Firefox, which worked fine, the problem is probably not fixed.

I am seeing the same problem on both of my computers and my father's computer at a different location. All XP's, both home and pro (Ver. 2002 SP1), all TimeWarner RoadRunner Cable Connections, all have Zone Alarm. My two go through a Linksys router and are a Dell Pentium 3.0Ghz and 1.0 GB Ram and a 2.4Ghz and 1.5GB Ram. My father's computer is connected directly to the internet through a cable modem.

Extensions for my two computers;

Computer 1: DOM Inspector, Image Zoom, Copy Plain Tex, Translate Page, Context Highlight, IEView, Adblock, Spellbound, Download Manager Tweak, Bandwidth Tester

Computer 2: DOM Inspector, OpenBook, Image Zoom, IEView, Spellbound, Download Status Bar, Bookmark Backup, Bandwidth Tester

Our internet connections are reliable and the service provider has told me they haven't had any server/service issues.
Up until this point I was thinking my service provider was the problem. So there may be a lot of other people having the same issue, but haven't contacted Mozilla because they think the issue is with their service provider.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

I'm sure there are many answers to this, but try this - it worked ! Get rid of Zone Alarm 033 and put ZA 51_011 version back on, er, that's it.

:)
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)

Post by Guest »

I am new to this site. I have had problems every since. so i have to resort back to using Explorer which is a PITA. My friend told me bout this browser. and I am having the same problem. plus no graphics what so ever. Ive been reading this forum for answers. but since i dont quiet understand ext 3.65ghz, ect. and pc talk its quiet boggling. funny hu.

Post by Guest »

What I dont understand is if this is such a great site then why is everyone having such problems. and they all seem to be the same thing?
Jolene

Post by Jolene »

If I shut down our firewall and just use the XP firewall the same thing happens. BTW we don't have SP2. Thanks Frank. Just for the record the memory usage for FF is steadily increasing as the problem becomes more frequent.