Firefox not finding websites on first attempt

User Help for Mozilla Firefox

Post by Guest »

Im also having this problem, but it happens with both IE and Firefox (ever since I got Firefox), its so frustrating because sometimes it works perfectly and all of the sudden I cant connect to any sites for several minutes.... my internet provider told me that I would need to uninstall either IE or firefox but I need bot of them now.

So please, if anyone has any other solutions let us know, this is a great browser but with this "minor" issue its not even worth using it (thats the main purpose of it anyway, isn't it...to navigate, and we can't even do that, LOL).

Post by Guest »

I had the same problem with EZ-Firewall, a Zone Alarmish firewall from Computer Associates. The problem was fixed completely when I switched firewalls. It is my understanding that many with these issues are using Zone Alarm Firewalls.

Post by Guest »

Guys I don't agree about the firewall bit because I use ZA and have with every FF upgrade and I encounter the same problem, but only when loaded up with extensions. I have 4 profiles with varying degrees of and types of extensions that I use regularly and the ones with the most, do it intermittantly and the ones closer to barebones don't ever do it! I have been trying to determine which extensions are causing this problem, with the old ad and remove and trial and error method!! I have not yet determined which extensions or extension is causing it but will carry on and report back here if I have any success, or with my findings!!

Cheers, :lol:
wiseman54xx

Post by wiseman54xx »

Sorry I was not signed in I wrote the above thread!!:biggrin:
I never think of the future - it comes soon enough.
Albert Einstein
careyInAustin

Post by careyInAustin »

i'm having the same problem as dreamerboy. i've tried changing the IPv6 setting to true with no luck. I'm on Mac OS X 10.3.5, powerbook G4, with 384mb of ram.
Rusty4700

Could not be found. Please check the name and try again.

Post by Rusty4700 »

I've had the same problem as dreamerboy. Foxfire worked for a few weeks then it couldn't find any sites. I liked the browser when it worked. I tried changing my IPv6 setting from false to true as instructed, but that didn't solve the problem. I've redownloaded and uninstalled and reinstalled. It worked the first time then the error message reappeared. Interm, I am using Netscape since I refuse to use IE unless all other browsers have died.
I have 56K dial up, Intel 750 processor, 256 ram, Windows ME.

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:I had the same problem with EZ-Firewall, a Zone Alarmish firewall from Computer Associates. The problem was fixed completely when I switched firewalls. It is my understanding that many with these issues are using Zone Alarm Firewalls.

I posted the above, and had no extensions whatsoever when the problem appeared just after the update to 1.0PR
Atom160

Post by Atom160 »

mm well I'll try the IPv6 edit to see if this works. I've actually got used to this with FF - I've always found that if you clear your cache it seems to connect up no probs. Don't understand why, but there you go.

As to ZA - I hope they fix the problem with next version. Mine keeps breaking down completely and I have to reboot all the time.
Krowbar

Post by Krowbar »

I'm attempting to use FF from within a large corporation's firewall with no success. None of the suggestions work. It simply won't load a darn thing.

Whatever happened to the dream of plug-and-play?
Beanie

Post by Beanie »

I am having the same problem with FF 1.0. I tried the above fix, but it did not work. Only with me its not letting ANY site through. It gives the same message no matter what site I go to. I know its not a firewall issue because I am not running one. And FF 1.0PR worked just fine. I have no clue what to do...help!!
creekcider

Post by creekcider »

This is the same problem I always had with Netscape Navigator. Almost never have the problem with IE.
bigmeeks74

Post by bigmeeks74 »

I tried the False/True thing, and still my Firefox will not pull up any webpages...running on Windows XP (updated), I have Zonealarm but it is shut down now...wireless Road Runner connection.

Post by Guest »

I've had the same problem - started after I got a Trojan Horse! I thought THAT was the problem. And, I rarely (if ever) have had the problem with IE (but I don't use IE for anything but YahooLaunch).
bigmeeks74

Post by bigmeeks74 »

can anyone helP?

Post by Guest »

I can't use Firefox 1 either since upgrading. I was running .9 no problem. After realizing it wouldn't run, I tried Opera - same thing. Neither are working. Of course, IE works. Trillian works, as do my P2P programs that were working along. In my case, I am fairly certain it's my computer.

What can I do to correct this? As I mentioned above - WinMX works, SmartFTP works - but not Kazaa Lite, nor either of my Direct Connect programs. In fact, on DC, I can get into a hub and see what's going on, but I can't connect to the users.

What could be going on in my (brand new) computer?