Adobe DLM installed after Adobe update

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
patrickjdempsey

Re: Adobe DLM installed after Adobe update

Post by patrickjdempsey »

It's a downloader for Adobe software that doesn't play with Firefox very well and wants to install toolbars on your computer in addition to the Adobe software.

See Gingerbread man's instructions for a direct install of Adobe plugins.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/

Post by Guest »

Hi

Uninstalling Adobe DLM.

I have Adobe DLM (Powered by getplus(R)) installed in Firefox.

Click Tools/addons and this Adobe addon should be showing in this window as one of your addons. There is an uninstall button showing. I'm assuming that this will indeed uninstall it. I'm going to do it now.

TrevC
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

The problem many people were experiencing is that this program was not compatible with the Firefox installation routines and wouldn't even allow Flash to be installed. So instead of just getting the Flash plugin we were getting an installer app that didn't even work and tried to install toolbars and other crap. Someone seriously needs to come up with a flash reader alternative so we don't have to put up with Adobe's nonsense.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
SATRIA GINTING

Split from 1474605 - smsmith

Post by SATRIA GINTING »

apakah sebelum menginstall adobe DLM peninstalan flash player blum selesai???
LoudNoise

Re: Split from 1474605 - smsmith

Post by LoudNoise »

Sartia Ginting -- http://support.mozilla.com/id/ ?
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
aref

Post by aref »

eknirb wrote:It says "Adobe DLM (powered by getPlus(R))." This arrived when FF said I needed to update Adobe Flash.
"a sophisticated tool for efficient distribution of digital goods." Huh?
What is this, why do I need it?
hefg

Post by hefg »

Just get the .exe and uninstall DLM if it got in your machine. The Adobe DLM makes crashes and other problems.
The secret direct link is here: htt pdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/install_flash_player.exe
Last edited by LIMPET235 on April 13th, 2010, 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
gtm

Post by gtm »

"You did not update Firefox. You updated an Adobe product which apparently carried the Download Manager along with it. (You might consider editing your subject line to correct that.)"

Dan, easy.... this also happened to me as a direct result of the Firefox 3 6 4 update.
As soon as that was done a message popped up saying FF had been updated but Adobe Flash needed to be updated.

This is a pertinent issue for those who have gotten this prompt after the FF update.
DanaBabes

Post by DanaBabes »

urgh. I also updated to FF3.6.4 today and was advised to update to flash 10.1 by clicking the link (via the Firefox updated page), and yep the link is to adobe's DLM - nooooo thanks.

Thanks for the direct link to the file tho :)

One wonders how many users of FF out there just click without reading, or rather understanding, that you dont NEED to install the DLM (or the McAfee thats being offered for that matter) to update your version of flash.

And altho I havent investigated it, I also wonder if this DLM wants you to install their reader as well, for those of us who choose not to use Adobe's PDF reader. Personally I wont use it as there are much better readers available (plus I dont want to read them online - ie via a browser page). I'm doubting this DLM WILL install the reader but as you'll need to allow the DLM in FF, which may add adobe to the list of sites which are allowed to install updates (whitelist), surely this will allow it to DL Adobe's reader at some point in the future? Either way this wont affect me as I've chosen not to use the DLM ... however I worry about other users who dont know any better. Clicking links for more information on adobe's site leads you to PDF files which insist you need their reader...urgh...as well as bloatware, adware (term I'm using in relation to the McAfee being offered as an option with the flash update) perhaps trickware should be added (as they assume users dont know you can read a PDF with different software).

Ok rant over since this thread pertains to the updating of flash only lol - thank goodness flash is free to upgrade (other than the fact we pay for internet usage of course lol).

Hugz
xXx

ETA: Just thought I should add that I have nothing against McAfee, in fact I have their SiteAdvisor plugin running on my version of FF :D
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

FWIW...
I read somewhere, that the DLM was only used once & would be removed/deleted afterwards. (Probably the Adobe site?)
I do NOT have it in my plugins. ;)
I did use it once. :)
Weird that a few? still have it listed.
Different versions for different continents?
eg;.....
Application: Firefox 3.5.9 (20100315083431)
Operating System: WINNT (x86-msvc)

- Adobe Acrobat 9.3.2.163
- AlternaTIFF 1.9.1.1
- Cortona3D Viewer 6.0.0.179
- DivX Player Netscape Plugin 6.1.0.0
- DivX Web Player 2.0.2.40
- Google Earth Plugin 1.0.0.1 (Never used it?)
- IE Tab Plug-in 1.3.0.1
- Java Deployment Toolkit 6.0.200.2 6.0.200.2
(Disabled)
- Java(TM) Platform SE 6 U20 6.0.200.2
- MeadCo's Neptune 2.0.0.29
(Disabled)
- Microsoft® Windows Media Player Firefox Plugin 1.0.0.8
- Mozilla Default Plug-in 1.0.0.15
- QuickTime Plug-in 7.6.6 7.6.6.0
- RealJukebox NS Plugin 1.0.3.448
- RealPlayer Version Plugin 6.0.12.448
- RealPlayer(tm) G2 LiveConnect-Enabled Plug-In (32-bit) 6.0.12.450
- Shockwave Flash 10.1.53.64
- Shockwave for Director 11.5.7.609
(Disabled)
- Triscape FxFoto Control and Plugin 6.0.71.0
- Windows Presentation Foundation 3.5.30729.1
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

allizomeniz

Post by allizomeniz »

LIMPET235, that's exactly how it worked for me today when I updated. It installed the Download Manager Add-on (DLM) and also installed a plugin called getplusplus something or other. After the installation was complete both were uninstalled when I rebooted. But it doesn't install an Adobe Flash plugin as I was expecting but Shockwave Flash. I hate Adobe.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Adobe Flash is now called... "Shockwave Flash."
& unless needed, you can disable the Adobe "Shockwave for Director."

gazelenka

Post by gazelenka »

If you go to the flash update site with a non-Firefox browser and tell it you want to install Flash on a different browser, it will let you download a direct install for Firefox which only installs flash - so you never get Adobe's DLM installed. (You can download the IE version of Flash from within Firefox using the same technique.)
Alan Baxter

Post by Alan Baxter »

There are now direct links to download the executable installers for Windows at the bottom of the Flash support page at
http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplay ... index.html

Flash_Player_10_ActiveX (Internet Explorer for Windows only):
http://fpdownload.adobe.com/get/flashpl ... yer_ax.exe

Flash_Player_10_Plugin (All other Windows browsers):
http://fpdownload.adobe.com/get/flashpl ... player.exe