MozillaZine

Adobe Flash Player won't stop trying to install - HELP

User Help for Mozilla Firefox

Post Posted September 12th, 2009, 5:48 pm

Hello,

I tried to install the latest version of Adobe Flash Player using Firefox, but since I'm not the computer administrator, it didn't work. Now, however, every time I open Firefox, I get the Adobe Download Manager trying to start and a box pops up asking me which computer user I want to run the program as, the choices being my account or the administrator account. If I select my account and click OK, it just pops right back up again and won't go away until I click "cancel." At that point the download manager (which never manages to start) vanishes too and everything works fine. However, it's really bugging me that I don't know how to make this thing go away. I uninstalled and re-installed Firefox with no luck - it still does it. Tried restarting my computer, which, of course, didn't work. I don't see any downloaded files or anything in the "Add and delete programs" that I could delete to make it stop. What can I do to get rid of that? I'll settle for not having Adobe Flash Player (I don't really need it) if I can just make it go away!

Post Posted September 12th, 2009, 6:10 pm

Nevermind - I just got my dad (the computer administrator) to type in his password and it stopped doing it. I completely overreacted :oops: but I'm really high strung about my computer now, since I got a bad virus on it and had to wipe it, now I hate when it does things I don't understand. Heh. So feel free to delete this thread. :)

Morris Stuart

Post Posted September 15th, 2009, 3:26 am

Unfortunately I have the same thing. I am on a work computer where I have Firefox 3.5 but no admin privileges. After the automatic update to 3.5.3 I received the alert I should update Flash. I tried to install it but it didn't work without admin privileges. Fair enough, I decided just to overwrite the old Flash files with the new ones. That worked fine and I now have the latest flash version.

However, on every start of Firefox or even opening a new window FF tries to complete the failed offical install of Flash. Rather annoying.

Does anyone know how I can let Firefox know it doesn't need to run the install anymore? It is probably just editing some file somewhere...

iwasahumanboy

Post Posted September 15th, 2009, 8:08 am

If you go to Tools -> Add-ons, disable Adobe DLM. It should then stop prompting you for the Admin permission everytime you open a new FF window. I had this same issue and it's gone now.

Morris Stuart

Post Posted September 15th, 2009, 8:46 am

Thanks, works a charm!

I even uninstalled it instead of just disabling. If you don't have admin privileges it will never work anyway.

ForceClose

Post Posted October 1st, 2009, 11:31 am

Thanks humanboy, I had the same problem and now it stopped. Wow, that was irritating (each time a new window opened, the download manager would open, then I'd have to use my task manager to force close it...).

Return to Firefox Support