Are you sure you want to navigate away from this page?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
KWierso

Re: Are you sure you want to navigate away from this page?

Post by KWierso »

Alerts are no longer window-modal, so you should be able to close any tabs without having to deal with the popup?

Post by Guest »

KWierso wrote:Alerts are no longer window-modal, so you should be able to close any tabs without having to deal with the popup?

prompt/alert YES, onbeforeunload NO
onbeforeunload IS STILL BROKEN
THAT IS WHAT THIS WHOLE THREAD IS ABOUT PAY ATTENTION!!!!
BruceAWittmeier

Post by BruceAWittmeier »

I still think this is just abuse of proper javascript. Until someone develops an add-on that that will provide "Do what I want, not what I said" we have to live with it or turn off javascript. It is perfectly acceptable to prompt for a reply with javascript and thats all that is happening.

Im not disagreeing with those who feel they should not have their browser hi-jacked. But javascript is appropriate in some pages.

I dont want spam emails either, but that abuse stops, I have to deal with it.

Im sure someone could build a list of unacceptable strings where the reply would be automated much like Adblock Plus but Im also sure the abusers will soon figure that out too and circumvent those checks.

Otherwise, turn off javascript. You cant have both worlds.
I often take a long windy road to my destination. Upon arrival, I wonder how I missed the shortcut.

Post by Guest »

BruceAWittmeier wrote:I still think this is just abuse of proper javascript. Until someone develops an add-on that that will provide "Do what I want, not what I said" we have to live with it or turn off javascript. It is perfectly acceptable to prompt for a reply with javascript and thats all that is happening.

Im not disagreeing with those who feel they should not have their browser hi-jacked. But javascript is appropriate in some pages.

I dont want spam emails either, but that abuse stops, I have to deal with it.

Im sure someone could build a list of unacceptable strings where the reply would be automated much like Adblock Plus but Im also sure the abusers will soon figure that out too and circumvent those checks.

Otherwise, turn off javascript. You cant have both worlds.

Yes, we can have both worlds, we all ready get both worlds, this is a mere oversight.
prompt is fixed, alert is fixed, but not when called from onbeforeunload
onbeforeunload is not special
onbeforeunload is broken
IF YOU CANNOT UNDERSTAND THIS, STOP POSTING IN THIS THREAD!!
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Keep it civil here folks or this thread can be locked. The fact that you disagrees with someone does not justify demands that the members stop posting their opinions.
KWierso

Post by KWierso »

Guest wrote:Otherwise, turn off javascript. You cant have both worlds.

Yes, we can have both worlds, we all ready get both worlds, this is a mere oversight.
onbeforeunload is broken
IF YOU CANNOT UNDERSTAND THIS, STOP POSTING IN THIS THREAD!![/quote]
Actually, if you read through the various bugs filed about these things, you'll see that it WAS fixed for onbeforeunload, but doing that fix broke a number of other things that are far more important than this, so they special-cased onbeforeunload to continue with the old behavior.

Post by Guest »

KWierso wrote:
Guest wrote:Otherwise, turn off javascript. You cant have both worlds.

onbeforeunload is broken
IF YOU CANNOT UNDERSTAND THIS, STOP POSTING IN THIS THREAD!!

Actually, if you read through the various bugs filed about these things, you'll see that it WAS fixed for onbeforeunload, but doing that fix broke a number of other things that are far more important than this, so they special-cased onbeforeunload to continue with the old behavior.[/quote]
So you have a found a bug report where this is discussed and closed as wontfix? Link?

Post by Guest »

DanRaisch wrote:Keep it civil here folks or this thread can be locked. The fact that you disagrees with someone does not justify demands that the members stop posting their opinions.

Will do,
but with all due respect moderator,
it wasn't a mere difference of opinion.

The responders completely misconstrued the complaint, and then went on to patronize

1st) its been fixed
2nd) you can't have your cake and eat it too

I appreciate a different viewpoints, but not off topic patronizing ones

Its like every other reply after the end of the 3rd page,
someone new stops by
to explain to the poor mistaken know nothings,
that this issue isn't real -- ignoring the dozens of complaints about it
BruceAWittmeier

Post by BruceAWittmeier »

Bugs related to onbeforeunload. You can search Bugzilla for onbeforeunload and find related bugs to dialog prompts that wont allow you to leave a page.
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=578828

I dont read the bugs as "Wont fix" but there doesnt seem to be one single answer that will solve all the possible problems without taking away from good practical use of javascript.

Personally I dont see a fix, but potential patches. I dont view Adblock to be a fix to ads. It simply allows you to control the actions. Noscript I believe is to complicated for the average user to employ for scripting issues.

Add-on to control exit loops:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... lertcheck/

Here is a series of screen shots I captured about a year or so ago abusing alert type dialogs - all related to the same problem.
http://gotnarcosis.com/brucewittmeier/t ... tRisk.html
I often take a long windy road to my destination. Upon arrival, I wonder how I missed the shortcut.