"The connection was refused..." - THE SOLUTION

User Help for Mozilla Firefox

Post by Guest »

I removed firefox completely from the permissons and reentered it telling Nortan it was a web brower.
ScubaRaf

Still a problem...

Post by ScubaRaf »

I've tried the above suggestions but still get no connection. I'm running Windows 2000 with no firewall at the moment. Any thought?
ch0da

Post by ch0da »

Whether or not this is relevent, but i tried installing regular Mozilla on my computer to see if it would work, and I am getting the same problem. I have to go through a proxy at school, the PR worked fine, and my room-mates works fine. Just some info.l

Post by Guest »

My fix was to delete cookies and cache. All seems well now.
jgeizt

Post by jgeizt »

This is really ridiculous. I can't believe so many people (including myself) are having this "The connection was refused when attempting to contact *." error. Firefox is the best browser I have ever used and I would prefer to not stop using it. Right now I am using the awesome RealPlayer browser to post this.

I have also tried the true/false 'fix' but it didn't do anything. Also, my Norton Internet Security is allowing Firefox (afaik, I don't know where to edit program settings).

It's obvious that this is a known problem. Is it being worked on?
Amara

Post by Amara »

Tried all of this and still no go for me. The net works fine in all other software, I've purged my DNS etc. I've toggled the network setting.

The problem started the second I installed Firefox 1.0.

I've turned off my firewall and my virus scanner. I've done clean installs about 6 or 7 times.

I want my firefox back.. I hate IE :( :( :(

Not only will firefox not resolve any sites, but I also can't get to anything via the ip address, either. It's set for 'Direct connect to the internet' and it isn't set to work offline.

Post by Guest »

if you enable error pages in about:config the error dialog goes away
scroll to
browser.xul.error_pages.enabled
and set it to true

Post by Guest »

Someone on the development team wanna chime in on this one?
theCleaner

Post by theCleaner »

Major problem for me too, damn FF 1.0. Everything was fine with my previous version of FF, then I upgraded to 1.0, and know I can't get in to the net. Conection was refused. I don't have norton's or a firewall and IE works fine. I wouldn't freak out so bad if it wasn't for all my important bookmarks that are saved. I think I will do a windows restore and go back about a month. This is just freakin PERFECT!!

Post by Guest »

I have done everything close to doing a full restore.

I deleted all previous versions of Firefox, all of the AppData profile dirs, even all shortcuts and such. Restarted, installed 1.0 again, allowed Norton to permit all for Firefox and assigned it as a Web browser - and still, this problem will not go away. I am going to try to do the same for .9 right now.

Mozilla needs to fix this huge problem a.s.a.p.
theCleaner

Post by theCleaner »

Know this gets better! I did a system restore to yesterday, to get my old FF back, but NOOO, it stayed to the new updated 1.0. It connects to the internet now, but my book marks don't work, I can only go to a site if I manually type the address in the address bar, then there is no progress bar at the bottom to show me if it's working, DAMN FF 1.0 all to hell!!!

Post by Guest »

Just finished trying the above with .9. It doesn't work either.

This is extremely frustrating and I'm quite disappointed.
gamedog

Post by gamedog »

Bump, need help with this guys
ElBuzzard

Post by ElBuzzard »

I've tried clearing the cookies, and that does work, but only once. the next time i go to the page, i get the same error.

Post by Guest »

Is there any fix for this in sight? It seems for many people (as well as myself), the 'fixes' in this thread do not work at all. We still get the error even after reinstalling many times. I'm at my wit's end.