"The connection was refused..." - THE SOLUTION

User Help for Mozilla Firefox

Post by Guest »

I have been trying for a week to use Firefox, after downloading the new verison. I have re-boted, restored, re-configured and still I cannot use this browser.Does anyone know of another free Browser like Firefox? At least until they get the bugs out. It is suspect that right after their announcement, there are problems. Does anyone besides me suspect a bug? It would be nice if they would come clean. What is really going on? Why can't we use Firefox?
2cv6

Post by 2cv6 »

I too have had all the above problems and have tried system restore etc. with the same results. I finally uninstalled FF1.0 and reinstalled the previous version (Firefox 1.0 PR) All is now well again.

Think I will wait for a few days before installing 1.0 again.

Dave.
korebantic

Post by korebantic »

You are lucky you could get it to work with FF1.0PR, many people including myself have tried the downgrade option only to find the same error occuring. When are the developers going to chime in? Is there a bugzilla site or somewhere else we can go to submit a defect against FF1.0?

Post by Guest »

I have started having the same problem - it worked fine with 1.0 for a day or so though, then the problem became intermittent - now it seems permanent. I've tried all the suggested actions
ironmiss

Post by ironmiss »

And then there were..........a billion users with out FF....I too am 'refused connection' -Some one remind me how FF is better than IE, if one can't USE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ](*,)
DanyUP

Post by DanyUP »

The behaviour of my pc is strange.
When I begin using firefox everything is fine, after a while it says "connection refused" and I can't go anywhere even with IE and I must reboot to make internet work again.
If I use IE everything works fine.

Post by Guest »

Post by Guest »

within three minutes of posting that message I discovered the answer. POST THIS SOMEWHERE OBVIOUS!!!!!

If you have had Zone Alarm installed in the past, and whether you use it or not, and NOT removed from your machine, check to see if FireFox is one of the listed programs given permissions. If it is then REMOVE IT.
It doesn't matter if you use Zone Alarm or not. FF WILL NOT WORK IF IT IS LISTED IN THE PROGRAMS LIST!!!!!

So obvious but so annoying.

Now to actually check it out and see if it is a 'step up' from IE.
Aperson

Post by Aperson »

Mine has Norton firewall 2004 installed and FF 1.0 will work if I have norton disabled but will NOT if I have it enabled. Not good...
Aperson

Post by Aperson »

Ok, here is what I just did that got mine to work. I will describe it with every detail possible. It may or may not work for you. (This solution may have already been posted, I didn't read through them all)

-open Norton Personal Firewall program
-Click on "Personal Firewall" then in the box on the right, click configure
-Click on "Program Control" tab
-search through the list of progams for "Mozilla Firefox", click it and then click "remove"
-Next click "Program Scan" and wait for it to give you the list of programs (you may also be able to use "Add" button, but I'm just explaining how I did it)
-find "Mozilla Firefox" on the list, click on it, then under "internet access" where it says "automatic", change it to "permit all"
-click the check box next to "Mozilla Firefox" then click "Finish"
-close everything and you're set! (hopefully)

If this helps anybody, let me know!

Post by Guest »

I did have the same CR problem and i tried the zone alarm solution that Guest suggested and suddenly all worked fine!!!!
It doesnt matter if Zone Alarm is running or not.
If it is installed you must open it and give permission (Allow) to FF.

Its a shame that this problem spoiled the image of FF. Damn Zone Alarm!!

This post is written in FF;) Im very glad that im able to use FF again.

Post by Guest »

THANK YOU !!!! THANK YOU !!!! THANK YOU !!!! THANK YOU !!!! THANK YOU !!!! THANK YOU !!!!
I've been trying to figure it out for days !!!!! You rock
broscup

Post by broscup »

Worked for me too, thanks.
BEFUDDLED

FF MESSAGE-CONNECTION REFUSED.........

Post by BEFUDDLED »

i've never had zone alarm,but mine's doing the same thing if anybody knows anything please help!!!!!!!! ](*,)
graeme201

Post by graeme201 »

korebantic wrote:You are lucky you could get it to work with FF1.0PR, many people including myself have tried the downgrade option only to find the same error occuring. When are the developers going to chime in? Is there a bugzilla site or somewhere else we can go to submit a defect against FF1.0?

They probably aren't chiming in because it's nothing to do with the Firefox program. Otherwise more than 1 in 1000 users would be having the same problem.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20041107 Firefox/1.0
Thunderbird/0.9