"Problem Loading Page" problem in FireFox?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Everest1980

"Problem Loading Page" problem in FireFox?

Post by Everest1980 »

Hello Friends

i have got a problem with Mozilla FireFox 3.5.5.

The Problem is whenever i enters any site in the address bar and press enter, it displays me this message

"Problem loading page"

"Server not found

Firefox can't find the server at http://www.google.com.

* Check the address for typing errors such as
ww.example.com instead of
http://www.example.com

* If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
connection.

* If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.
"

but when i press on "Try again", then the site loads properly and this problem is happening with majority of sites i am opening from the browser.

My System configuration are as Intel Core 2 Duo, Windows XP SP2 64 bit, 4 GB RAM etc.

Let me first tell you a small history, i tried installing FireFox 3.6 Beta 4 on the same machine on another directory, over this version of FireFox 3.5.5, but due to some problem, i uninstalled this version after using it for some days. i did not specify any profile for this version.

but after uninstalling and going back to the FireFox 3.5.5 version, i am facing this problem, i am unable to figure out what is the root cause of this.

my Internet is working fine, i also checked it with other browsers as Chrome, IE 8, and i am not facing any problem on them.

also the problem is that sometimes, it displays me a message as above but sometimes, it loads the website partially i.e. not the full website, which it is designed or created by default, i.e. it does not loads any images, i manually have to refresh 3 or 4 times, to properly load the website.

i am giving you a list of websites, where i am facing this problem. the list is as:
"mail.yahoo.com" - this site gives me the above message first, and then on 3/4 refreshes, it does not loads fully, on 5th refresh, it loads fully,

index.php?c=4 - this site does not display a message, but does not loads fully.

http://www.google.com/firefox?client=fi ... S:official - this site also displays the above message, but on first refresh, loads properly.

it also loads the website slowly, not at the speed which i am currently having, as i am having a 2 Mbps connection.

Does my profile directory has anything to do with this problem or what after the uninstallation of FireFox 3.6 B4.

looking for favorable answers. :(

Thanking You
BruceAWittmeier

Re: "Problem Loading Page" problem in FireFox?

Post by BruceAWittmeier »

- Clear your cache

- Your profile could affect your connection both speed and the first problem with not connecting

Try running in safemode or a new/clean profile.

Right now I cant get to the Mozillaziine help pages to post links but you may - upper right - look for Knowledge Base.
I often take a long windy road to my destination. Upon arrival, I wonder how I missed the shortcut.
Ben - Las Vegas

Post by Ben - Las Vegas »

This is the exact same problem I have had since the update. I have also read throughout the forums and have seen many other people have the same problem. The Admins for FF have still not responded. I have seen a lot of people in the forums say to do the clearing of the cache, etc... It does not work. Something changed in the last up-date of FF and I believe the Dev's do not know what has gone wrong. Do not get your hopes up to high on getting this problem fixed any time soon.

FF Dev's....Have you a different solution yet? Or are you going to keep giving out the same answer to this problem?

Sorry about the rant but this problem with FF loading, crashing, etc... is getting ridiculous. ](*,)
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

No Devs here.

Remove Firefox from the list on your firewall and allow it to be rediscovered.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
Everest1980

Post by Everest1980 »

Hello Friends

i also cleared my cache and cleared all custom settings and also created a new profile and deleted the old profile and set firefox to use this profile, but of no use. i also have to tell you that, i have installed eset smart security for 64 bit and my friend also installed/using the same version of firefox 3.5.5 but he does not messed the things in such a way as i have messed them, and on his machine, firefox is working fine, without any error or warning or any problem.

previously, the antivirus is also not creating any problems with the version of firefox installed on the machine.

i also have to say that after installing the firefox 3.6b4 and then after using it for sometime and then its uninstallation to go back to Firefox 3.5.5 caused this problem on my machine. am i right or not?

previously before the installation of firefox 3.6b4, this version of firefox 3.5.5 is working perfectly on my machine without any problem.

kindly please help me in this

Thanks for your replies. :cry:
RichardGv

Post by RichardGv »

1. Could you please try disabling DNS prefetching? I don't think this problem is really related to DNS prefetching, though.
2. Would you mind trying watching network traffic with Wireshark or similar tools? Please check if DNS requests are actually sent out when Firefox returns "Server Not Found".

Post by Guest »

Ben - Las Vegas wrote:This is the exact same problem I have had since the update......

Ditto, and have also posted several questions and usually got the stock 'remove ff from fw .... and let it reset', 'clear .....' responses. Nothing changed after following the advice.

I also think the devs either do not know what the problem is or are just ignoring the problem and hoping it will go away in the next release.

I will download the software mentioned and see where this goes.
Everest1980

Post by Everest1980 »

Hello Sir

RichardGv wrote:1. Could you please try disabling DNS prefetching? I don't think this problem is really related to DNS prefetching, though.
2. Would you mind trying watching network traffic with Wireshark or similar tools? Please check if DNS requests are actually sent out when Firefox returns "Server Not Found".

Thanks for your replies, but the thing is that i do not see any entry related to network.dns.disablePrefetch in about:config on the version of FireFox installed on the system. previously, i am not facing any problems related with this, or is it that this configuration is gone or anything else? :(
RichardGv

Post by RichardGv »

Unsure how could this kind of thing happen. That preference should definitely exist in Firefox 3.5.5 and it's not possible to remove it manually, I believe. Please consider removing all profiles and do a complete re-installation of Firefox, since I think corrupted program files is possibly the cause, if "network.dns.disablePrefetch" indeed does not exist in your preferences. It's really mysterious for me.
Everest1980

Post by Everest1980 »

Hello Friend
i am sorry, but i again have to say that this type of setting is not available in the default install or fresh install as i have check this setting on a new firefox 3.5.5 install.

i have to say that i have checked from my side, on a default install of firefox 3.5.5 only these 2 "network.dns" settings exist in the "about:config" configuration settings and the 2 confs are as:
1. network.dns.disableIPv6;
2. network.dns.ipv4OnlyDomains;

but no "network.dns.disablePrefetch" configuration.

Still, thanks for your replies. :cry:
wm4bama

Post by wm4bama »

I think this is the one that needs changing to false...I've had mine like this forever..(3.5.5)

network.prefetch-next;false
East Central Alabama, Wildblue Satellite ISP, Linksys WRT54G2 router, Dell Desktop XP-Home-SP3, Dell Laptop Vista-Home-SP2, Run IE8 and Firefox browsers.
Everest1980

Post by Everest1980 »

Hello Friend
Thanks for your replies.

wm4bama wrote:I think this is the one that needs changing to false...I've had mine like this forever..(3.5.5)

network.prefetch-next;false

But i just simply want to know, that if we have to disable this configuration, then why is it set to true in first place.

Kindly please help me in this.
i also have to tell you one thing, that in my office PC, FireFox is causing no problems and opens all the sites properly without this error message and this setting in my office PC is default set to true as usual.

Thanks
RichardGv

Post by RichardGv »

Everest1980 wrote:But i just simply want to know, that if we have to disable this configuration, then why is it set to true in first place.

It's set to true because generally this will not cause problems, and it will accelerate browsing in a lot of cases.
This is again a "mysterious" issue, at least for me. It's hard to diagnose because the reason is unclear. The problem can be in a lot of places, e.g. Firewall, system, anti-virus programs, corrupted Firefox installation...
You can try a third-party DNS service (e.g. OpenDNS, but I don't think it will help much.
Also, my previous suggestion may as well be helpful:
RichardGv wrote:2. Would you mind trying watching network traffic with Wireshark or similar tools? Please check if DNS requests are actually sent out when Firefox returns "Server Not Found".
victoria quaye

Post by victoria quaye »

please i can't go to facebook because firefox is not connecting please can you help
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Would you please start a new thread, stating your problem, coz this oldie needs it's rest.

Many thanks.

Locking.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)