Embedded Windows Media/Launch.com in Firefox 1.0

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
sarahl

Post by sarahl »

Alright, i realised that too. Thanks for all your time Vectorspace :)
Vectorspace

Re: Heeeeeeelp...!!!!!!!

Post by Vectorspace »

Little_Ceres wrote:You know, I carefully have made what in every step was. In the end, my firefox wasn't able to show videos nor music control panel (I didn't hear any sound too) like before installing this "ActiveX" thing.
What should I do know?? Help me, please. For example - write me an email with instructions.
See Ya!

Ceres (little_ceres@o2.pl)

1. What site are you testing it on? Try testing it on the accuradio test link in the guide

2. Follow these instructions to check that all the WMP/ActiveX files are installed: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 75#1169101
Do you see all 4 entries?
"All things being equal, the simplest answer is usually the correct one" - Occam's Razor
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:5.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/5.0
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:5.0) Gecko/20110624 Thunderbird/5.0
madscientist

Post by madscientist »

Hi all; I'm trying to get the video previews from netflix.com working on FF. It works on IE. I have FF 1.0 on a windows98SE system. I installed WMP9 (I don't think WMP10 works on windows98). I have a desktop icon and a quickstart icon for WMP, and WMP does launch and work correctly. I've followed the steps here but when I click the preview button I still get a message that there is no plugin installed. There is a link saying "open in a new window" and if I click it, it opens a WMP window and it does play the video, but I'd prefer to get the embedded version working. When I use the about:plugins link I see only 3 of the 4 items listed earlier: the Windows Media Player Plug-in Dynamic Link Library plugin is not shown. I don't know what to do to get that available.

Also if I go to the accuradio site and click on a picture, it opens a window but nothing ever plays (no sound, etc.) I didn't try the user agent switcher so far.

How do I get the WMP plugin to show up in my FF about:plugins window? What am I missing? I followed all the steps carefully and they all seemed to work when I performed them.

Thanks!
BeachKeys

Post by BeachKeys »

madscientist wrote:Hi all; I'm trying to get the video previews from netflix.com working on FF. It works on IE. I have FF 1.0 on a windows98SE system. I installed WMP9 (I don't think WMP10 works on windows98). I have a desktop icon and a quickstart icon for WMP, and WMP does launch and work correctly. I've followed the steps here but when I click the preview button I still get a message that there is no plugin installed. There is a link saying "open in a new window" and if I click it, it opens a WMP window and it does play the video, but I'd prefer to get the embedded version working. When I use the about:plugins link I see only 3 of the 4 items listed earlier: the Windows Media Player Plug-in Dynamic Link Library plugin is not shown. I don't know what to do to get that available.

Also if I go to the accuradio site and click on a picture, it opens a window but nothing ever plays (no sound, etc.) I didn't try the user agent switcher so far.

How do I get the WMP plugin to show up in my FF about:plugins window? What am I missing? I followed all the steps carefully and they all seemed to work when I performed them.

Thanks!

Media Player doesn't show up at all in about:plugins? This is what mine looks like........
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v37/B ... s/plug.png

Maybe try reinstalling from here......
http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/windows.html#Shockwave
Vectorspace

Post by Vectorspace »

madscientist wrote:When I use the about:plugins link I see only 3 of the 4 items listed earlier: the Windows Media Player Plug-in Dynamic Link Library plugin is not shown. I don't know what to do to get that available.

That is the Windows Media Player plugin. Obviously WMP hasn't installed it for some reason.
Go to the location that Windows Media Player is installed to - usually C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player
Look in there for the file 'npdsplay.dll' (you may need to enable the viewing of hidden files/folders to find it)
If it is there, copy it to the Firefox plugins folder (Usually C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins)
If not, you need to reinstall Windows Media Player 9. Try the offline installer instead of Windows Update: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en
"All things being equal, the simplest answer is usually the correct one" - Occam's Razor

Post by Guest »

Get the netscape navigator of wmp
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/window ... lugin.aspx

and problem solved. You're likely missing the ndsplay.dll file. I found out this tip from http://sillydog.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7883

WMP 10 is only for xp and xp pro. It wouldn't surprise me at all that web designers that use multimedia (whether its livestream, or on demand) on their web pages stop supporting wmp 9 before the end of this year. As tough as this may sound, save some $$$ for a new comp. which I'm currently doing right now. And ofcourse download firefox after you get the zillion patches and blah setup done when you get your new comp.
Vectorspace

Post by Vectorspace »

madscientist is missing npdsplay.dll - that's why the Windows Media Player Plug-in Dynamic Link Library plugin entri in about:plugins is missing.

It doesn't matter which version of WMP you use, all use the same version of the netscape plugin.
And if they were different, any web developer who stopped supporting anything but WMP 10 is shooting themselves in the foot since only half of computer users have Windows XP.
Mr.Bob

Post by Mr.Bob »

Thank You, Finally!! It Works!
madscientist

Post by madscientist »

Hi all; I uninstalled and reinstalled WMP a few times, but that DLL was never installed (I definitely was showing all hidden files, etc.) I finally got it installed by using the link provided by Guest above; once I installed that and restarted FF, everything works great! I got the accuradio site working and sure enough now my netflix previews work as a plugin.

Thanks!
Vectorspace

Post by Vectorspace »

This topic has been un-stickied and locked, since it has been replaced with a new, combined embedded media guide, courtesy of myself and jrzycrim: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=206216

Please start new topics for any questions in the future.