Removing extensions and plugins

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
jimbir

Removing extensions and plugins

Post by jimbir »

I have a couple of each I'd like to remove. how do I do it? One has an uninstall button but it's grayed out.
Lee_Dailey
Location: milky way galaxy, sol system, terra, north america, usa, tx, bedford

Re: Removing extensions and plugins

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy jimbir,

[1] what addon & version?
[2] looks to me like you're running ff 3.0.18 on windows vista - is that correct?

plus, this might help you ...
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_:_FAQ ... Extensions

take care,
lee
jimbir

Post by jimbir »

Thanks for the reply.

I'm running 3.5.8 on XP home. I have one plugin I'd like to remove. It's called 'metastream 3 plugin 3.2.2.26'. It is disabled by firefox "for my protection". I can't find any way to remove it.

[quote="Lee_Dailey"]howdy jimbir,

[1] what addon & version?
[2] looks to me like you're running ff 3.0.18 on windows vista - is that correct?
Lee_Dailey

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy jimbir,

thanks for the info. i read your other post's useragent to get the info. i suppose you're posting from multiple setups. [*grin*]

the links posted by dickvl include one that covers disabling and - if desired - removing plugins. essentially, you identify the file, identify the location, _completely_ exit firefox and then either rename or delete the file.

take care,
lee
jimbir

Post by jimbir »

[quote="Lee_Dailey"]howdy jimbir,

Thanks for the reply. I've tried to follow that link with no results. I decided to post a new thread titled 'Need a plugin expert', (no offense now, you might be he.), to fish in a different puddle, so to speak. The content follows:

"I'm running 3.5.8 on XP home. I have one plugin I'd like to remove. It's called 'metastream 3 plugin 3.2.2.26'. It is disabled by firefox "for my protection". I can't find any way to remove it. I've followed the instructions here: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Issues_relate ... ed_plugins the best i could and found no help. I searched my c: drive for 'metastream' and came up with a number results refering to a program called 'viewpoint media player'. It shows up in my 'add/remove programs' list. I've never heard of it and can't remember ever seeing any of my programs using it. If I remove it, will metastream go away also?

Now, for another question. I have 7 instances of this file listed in about:plugins, npqtplugin.dll through npqtplugin7.dll. I'm thinking I only need npqtplugin7.dll and the rest can be deleted. Am i correct?"
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

No: npqtplugin.dll through npqtplugin7.dll. I'm thinking I only need npqtplugin7.dll
All the npqtplugin#.dll plugins belong to QuickTime and every plugin covers a different set of MIME types, so you need them all.

If you can't find the metastream 3 plugin in the plugins folder in the Firefox program folder then Firefox finds the plugin via plugin scanning.

See http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/forum/1/571376
Lee_Dailey

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy jimbir,

no offense taken. [*grin*]

given this ...
"It shows up in my 'add/remove programs' list."

... it looks like you can simply uninstall it thru the system applet and that otta fix it. if you aren't using that media player, then i see no negative side effects to killing it that way.

*t*c
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Moving to Firefox Support..
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
jimbir

Post by jimbir »

jimbir wrote:
Lee_Dailey wrote:howdy jimbir,

Thanks for the reply. I've tried to follow that link with no results. I decided to post a new thread titled 'Need a plugin expert', (no offense now, you might be he.), to fish in a different puddle, so to speak. The content follows:

"I'm running 3.5.8 on XP home. I have one plugin I'd like to remove. It's called 'metastream 3 plugin 3.2.2.26'. It is disabled by firefox "for my protection". I can't find any way to remove it. I've followed the instructions here: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Issues_relate ... ed_plugins the best i could and found no help. I searched my c: drive for 'metastream' and came up with a number results refering to a program called 'viewpoint media player'. It shows up in my 'add/remove programs' list. I've never heard of it and can't remember ever seeing any of my programs using it. If I remove it, will metastream go away also?

Now, for another question. I have 7 instances of this file listed in about:plugins, npqtplugin.dll through npqtplugin7.dll. I'm thinking I only need npqtplugin7.dll and the rest can be deleted. Am i correct?"

Thanks all
Between this and my other thread I got my answers.
Lee_Dailey

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy jimbir,

great! glad you got it fixed. [*grin*]

take care,
lee
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Can you tell us how you solved it?
It can help others who have the same problem and read this thread.
jimbir

Post by jimbir »

dickvl wrote:Can you tell us how you solved it?
It can help others who have the same problem and read this thread.

My main concern was getting rid of the 'metastream' listing in my plugins. After i uninstalled ''viewpoint media player', the metastream listing was gone. Problem solved. The other concern was the multiple listings for for 'quicktime' in 'about:plugins'.I was told they were all necessary so I left them alone. Problem solved. More detail can be gained by reading the other posts in this thread.

Jim

Post by Guest »

jimbir wrote:I have a couple of each I'd like to remove. how do I do it? One has an uninstall button but it's grayed out.