Error when opening Firefox 3.6 in Windows XP

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
bobyak

Re: Error when opening Firefox 3.6 in Windows XP

Post by bobyak »

bobyak wrote:There must be a Mozilla bug when this script tries to block a taboo plugin where Mozilla isn't handling unexpected information from the plug in well.

Ok, I just realized how dumb this part must sound...please don't spend time telling me how the Mozilla app and this script are different things, they seem to work as team and I'm guessing the script is written by Mozilla contributors, but I realize the exe and this js are separate things.
Rich57

Post by Rich57 »

LoudNoise wrote:Has anyone tried Safe mode as suggested above?

I ran Firefox 3.6.8 in Safe Mode and chose the restart with plugins disabled.
Then re-enabled them one or two at a time, using the Restart Firefox link to try them out.
All my loaded extensions are enabled again and Fx starts within 30s (instead of 5 minutes).
These plugins are enabled:
Adobe Acrobat
Facebook
Google Earth
Google Update
Java Deployment Toolkit
Java Platform
Microsoft Office 2003
Mozilla Default
QuickTime
RealJukeBox NS
RealPlayer Version
RealPlayer G2 LiveConnect
Shockwave Flas
Silverlight
Windows Genuine Advantage
Windows Media Player

These plugins are not yet:
Microsoft Office Live
Microsoft DRM
Windows Presentation Foundation

I haven't laid the finger at anyone's door yet.

Richard
Richard
TB15.0, Fx14.0.1
WinXP SP3, Dell Inspiron 6000
nobrun

Post by nobrun »

I've been using Firefox with all my plug-ins disabled. Still getting the script error file:///C:/Program%20Files/Mozilla%20Firefox/components/nsBlocklistService.js:648 Never had this problem until I updated to the newest version of Firefox. Disabling the Add-ons or the extensions hasn't helped me.
rob64rock

Post by rob64rock »

Guesting wrote:Couldn't find where on the site to report this, but I keep getting the following error when I try to open up Firefox, and it takes several minutes for it to open.

Script: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Mozilla%20Firefox/components/nsBlocklistService.js:648

Just wanted to pass the information on so that maybe it could be fixed in a future release.

nobrun wrote:I've been using Firefox with all my plug-ins disabled. Still getting the script error file:///C:/Program%20Files/Mozilla%20Firefox/components/nsBlocklistService.js:648 Never had this problem until I updated to the newest version of Firefox. Disabling the Add-ons or the extensions hasn't helped me.

This error was happening to me too after upgrading to Firefox 3.6 and I found out it was due to a corrupted install or upgrade.
So, backup your Firefox profile by using Febe extension or MozBackup app.

You also might want to scan your computer for viruses, malware and adware, before or after you uninstall Firefox.

Suggestions: For Windows OS only
1. AntiVir Personal antivirus
2. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
3. Spybot Search and Destroy

Then, uninstall Firefox including all data, the option will be given during the uninstall to remove all Firefox data.

Then download and install Firefox 3.6.

If you backup your Firefox profile with Febe Extension, install Febe on the new install of Firefox and restart Firefox. Under tools menu, Febe choose to "Restore Profile", in the window that pops up, First select "Create new profile and name it what ever you wish. Then select "newly created profile" in the list and then click "Select local backup to restore" and search and select the backup profile you created earlier. Then click "Start profile restore" once it's finished, Select "Firefox start options" then choose to "Use newly restored or currently selected profile" and click "OK". The next time Firefox starts up it should be using your newly restored Firefox profile.

Now if you used MozBackup, make sure you first exit out of Firefox then, start MozBackup and it will guide you through the steps required to restore the backup Firefox profile.

The errors should go away unless its add-on or an external app causing the problem, but the above worked for me.
Rich57

Post by Rich57 »

Opened Firefox again today and it took 5 minutes to load, so I started disabling plugins again.

These plugins are enabled:
Adobe Acrobat
Mozilla Default
Shockwave Flas
Silverlight
Windows Genuine Advantage
Windows Media Player

These plugins are disabled:
Facebook *
Google Earth *
Google Update *
Java Deployment Toolkit *
Java Platform *
Microsoft Office 2003 *
Microsoft Office Live
Microsoft DRM
QuickTime *
RealJukeBox NS *
RealPlayer Version *
RealPlayer G2 LiveConnect *
Windows Presentation Foundation

The plugins marked * were disabled this time.
After a Restart, Firefox opened within a minute.
Richard
TB15.0, Fx14.0.1
WinXP SP3, Dell Inspiron 6000
fofirefoxgo

Post by fofirefoxgo »

Hi Bobyak,

I went to the link you suggested. I disabled my java consoles that were older than 6.0.20 in the extensions part of my Add-ons. I have restarted a couple of times without seeing that script error again.

thanks for your suggestion
jonno

Post by jonno »

Running 3.6.3 and had the same problem. Disabled Java Development Runtime 6.0.210.7 and now it works fine so not just older than 6.0.200 versions.
Cabgraft4

Post by Cabgraft4 »

I have read all the foregoing with great interest. However the same message pops up on my Firefox 3.6.13 at every start, and has done so for a long time.

Script: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Mozilla%20Firefox/components/nsBlocklistService.js:648

I only run Firefox with one add-on which is "Ancestry.com Advanced Image Viewer".

As soon as I stop the script the problem disappears - but recurs at intervals, usually when using the Ancestry site, so I think the next step is to disable the "Image Viewer".
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

raokat,
I split your post off to here > viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2063657
Was not the same fault.
Thanks.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
Ty Myrick

Post by Ty Myrick »

bobyak wrote:I was able to clear the errors by going to this page: https://www.mozilla.com/en-US/blocklist/ and then going to Tools->Add-ons->Plugins and manually disabling items on the blocklist at that URL. It may take longer, but I suggest disabling one at a time and restarting. For me it was disabling an older version of Yahoo Application State Plugin. Now, I have no errors and other "bad" plug-ins will still be blocked by the script.

@bobyak Thank you. I checked the Add-ons Blocklist per your suggestion and found I had the Java Deployment Toolkit v6.0.200.0 plugin. I disabled it and restarted. Firefox launched instantly. Thanks again.
stimp

Post by stimp »

It might also be worth checking here:

https://www.mozilla.com/en-US/plugincheck/

to make sure your firefox plugins are up to date, the do not automatically update and java is in the list of plugins.
judea04

Post by judea04 »

Firefox 3.6 has been taking forever to come up. I switched to Firefox 4.0 and had same issues and more; back to 3.6 and still having issues. I found this forum, went to the Mozilla add-ons page and saw the Bing toolbar listed. It's not in add-ons, but I went to my toolbars, down to manage toolbars, removed the Bing toolbar, and now Firefox works like a charm. Thank you so much! God bless you all.