Java Console 6.0.17 remaining after Java update

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Dbg

Java Console 6.0.17 remaining after Java update

Post by Dbg »

I've recently updated Java to its latest version, 6.0.18, which seems fine with the Console appearing under the Extensions tab along with the appropriate Toolkit and Platform under the Plugins tab. However, there's still an entry for the old Java Console under Extensions.

Please, how might I remove this?

I'm using Firefox version 3.6 with Windows 7.
Anonymosity

Re: Java Console 6.0.17 remaining after Java update

Post by Anonymosity »

I just updated Java, and I have no Java Console (or Java anything else) listed in the extensions. I am using Windows XP. Is that Java Console listing just a Windows 7 thing, or what?
wm4bama

Post by wm4bama »

I'm on XP SP-3 and my Java console updated to 6.0.18 in Extensions, no old entries...
East Central Alabama, Wildblue Satellite ISP, Linksys WRT54G2 router, Dell Desktop XP-Home-SP3, Dell Laptop Vista-Home-SP2, Run IE8 and Firefox browsers.
L.A.R. Grizzly

Post by L.A.R. Grizzly »

Dbg wrote:I've recently updated Java to its latest version, 6.0.18, which seems fine with the Console appearing under the Extensions tab along with the appropriate Toolkit and Platform under the Plugins tab. However, there's still an entry for the old Java Console under Extensions.

Please, how might I remove this?

I'm using Firefox version 3.6 with Windows 7.

To turn off the Java Console: Control Panel->Java->Advanced->Java Console->Hide Console

Also, to get rid of the Java Quick Starter: Control Panel->Java->Advanced->Miscellaneous->Uncheck Java Quick Starter

To get rid of entries left behind, you may have to uninstall Java. This thread may help:

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=1771805&start=0

viewtopic.php?p=8801545#p8801545
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 33.1.0, Epyrus Mail 2.1.2, Firefox 115.10.0esr, Thunderbird 115.10.1, and SeaMonkey 2.53.18.2
Dbg

Post by Dbg »

Thanks for the replies.

I uninstalled Java then manually deleted everything I could find that was left behind. While doing so resolved a similar issue I was experiencing with Thunderbird, that pesky Java Console 6.0.17 is still there in Firefox. I captured a few screens (which are, sorry to say, large png images):

Firefox Plugins — success; all clear

Thunderbird Extensions — success; all clear

Thunderbird Plugins — success; all clear

Firefox Extensions — no success

I'm guessing it's being stored somewhere within a Firefox directory? I'd rather not have to reinstall that.
Gopher John

Post by Gopher John »

The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them. - Albert Einstein
L.A.R. Grizzly

Post by L.A.R. Grizzly »

Dbg wrote:Thanks for the replies.

I uninstalled Java then manually deleted everything I could find that was left behind. While doing so resolved a similar issue I was experiencing with Thunderbird, that pesky Java Console 6.0.17 is still there in Firefox. I captured a few screens (which are, sorry to say, large png images):

Firefox Plugins — success; all clear

Thunderbird Extensions — success; all clear

Thunderbird Plugins — success; all clear

Firefox Extensions — no success

I'm guessing it's being stored somewhere within a Firefox directory? I'd rather not have to reinstall that.

With FF closed, you may try deleting the following files from your profile directory, FF will recreate them when reopened:

extensions.cache
extensions.ini
extensions.log
extensions.rdf
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 33.1.0, Epyrus Mail 2.1.2, Firefox 115.10.0esr, Thunderbird 115.10.1, and SeaMonkey 2.53.18.2
Dbg

Post by Dbg »

Thank you all for your help. I was able to remove Java Console 6.0.17 and have the Java extension and plugins appear as they should after reinstalling.

It was as simple as running Firefox by selecting the "Run as administrator" option within the context menu, which rendered the console's uninstall button clickable and no longer greyed out.

Firefox Extensions — as they should be

Firefox Plugins — as they should be

It's likewise normal with Thunderbird.
L.A.R. Grizzly

Post by L.A.R. Grizzly »

Dbg wrote:Thank you all for your help. I was able to remove Java Console 6.0.17 and have the Java extension and plugins appear as they should after reinstalling.

It was as simple as running Firefox by selecting the "Run as administrator" option within the context menu, which rendered the console's uninstall button clickable and no longer greyed out.

Firefox Extensions — as they should be

Firefox Plugins — as they should be

It's likewise normal with Thunderbird.

=D>
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Dbg

Post by Dbg »

Oh, and in answer to your question, Gopher John, no, there was no JRE 6.0.17 in my programs list after uninstalling. New Java updates, with Windows 7 at least, seem to there either remove the older ones or overwrite and rename them.
Gopher John

Post by Gopher John »

Dbg wrote:Oh, and in answer to your question, Gopher John, no, there was no JRE 6.0.17 in my programs list after uninstalling. New Java updates, with Windows 7 at least, seem to there either remove the older ones or overwrite and rename them.

A new JRE install is now supposed to remove the older one. It's good to hear that it works as advertised. 8-) Maybe next time on my WinXP Pro, I'll try it instead of uninstalling old before installing new.
The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them. - Albert Einstein