Losing bookmarks

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
bigbad

Losing bookmarks

Post by bigbad »

Out of nowhere my bookmarks in firefox (which I imported weeks ago from IE) disappeared. Whuz up?
VectorThunder

Post by VectorThunder »

Well, if you can give any information *at all* about any events that might have preceded their loss, eg were you asked to create a new profile out of the blue by any chance? then that would help give you an answer.

In the meantime you should install the Firefox extension 'Bookmarks Backup 0.3.1' from www.extensionsmirror.nl and re-import your IE favorites (they will still be there in IE) and that extension will back up your bookmarks every day so you'll never lose tham again.

If you *did* get asked to create a new profile, come back because you haven't in fact lost the bookmarks and can get back to them easily.
'I think I can safely say that some men are just born stupid'
- a latter day saint

Re: Losing bookmarks

Post by Guest »

bigbad wrote:Out of nowhere my bookmarks in firefox (which I imported weeks ago from IE) disappeared. Whuz up?

Hello bigbad, my name is big floyd and i lost my bookmarks too. I guess it is time to save the bookmarks somewhere else in order to have an easy access and not lose a damn thing like mine that i worked hard on researching and placing for back referral. Damn shit.
VectorThunder

Re: Losing bookmarks

Post by VectorThunder »

Anonymous wrote:
bigbad wrote:Out of nowhere my bookmarks in firefox (which I imported weeks ago from IE) disappeared. Whuz up?

Hello bigbad, my name is big floyd and i lost my bookmarks too. I guess it is time to save the bookmarks somewhere else in order to have an easy access and not lose a damn thing like mine that i worked hard on researching and placing for back referral. Damn shit.

See the above extension - also if you say whether your 'loss' was proceded by the aforementioned event then maybe you too can be re-united with them :)
Jan15

Post by Jan15 »

Hello, I was asked to make a new profile, so I did. How can I go back to the old and get my bookmarks back?
VectorThunder

Post by VectorThunder »

OK: That was the 'hanging' firefox.exe 'process' still running on your system. Do the following:

Close Firefox.
Open Task Manager (ctrl-alt-del) and look in the 'processes' list and if you find 'firefox.exe' then highlight it and click on 'end task'.

Now go:

Start > run, and type in: firefox.exe -p

That is firefox.exe<space><hyphen>p

That should launch Profile Manager and you should see TWO profiles listed. The original 'default' one has all your old settings. Delete the new one you created and launch with the old one.

If the above path doesn't launch Profile Manager, you may need to enter it as follows instead:

Start > run > firefox.exe -ProfileManager

If ever you get asked, out of the blue, to create a new Profile, don't. Just do the 'Task Manager' thing above and you can launch normally.

Good luck. :)
- a latter day saint
jan15

Post by jan15 »

Thanks a lot my man. I love you. Btw should I close down the eplorer.exe in the profile manager?
VectorThunder

Post by VectorThunder »

No 'explorer.exe is' 'Windows Explorer' - which you need. But if you see 'IExplorer.exe' then yes close that because with the 'I' in front it means it is Internet Explorer that is running, and you don't need that unless you really are using it! :)
- a latter day saint
jan15

Post by jan15 »

Ok thanks a lot again. See You around. :)
dre

Post by dre »

You're the best, I was going to give up with FF when all the settings were lost! I was freaking out because I could not find anything I've been working on, thank you guys for the help! :D :D :D
stOneskuL

omfg

Post by stOneskuL »

Firefox has just officially been given a strike by me. I have lost hundreds of very important bookmarks. Vanished. Nothing I can do. I hadn't created a new profile, or anything out of the ordinary really.. just started up and they were gone. Even the .bak up file was blank. jan15 and dre.. you're lucky.

As for those of us who can't get them back - please don't smile at us, it makes it worse.

I'll start using the Bookmarks Backup extension mentioned, as I slowly try and get my bookmarks back to their previous status.. should only take another year. If Firefox hasn't f'd me around again in that year, I'll forgive this strike.. otherwise, over to Opera I go.
stoneskull

Post by stoneskull »

Well, it turned out I was lucky.. and I thought I'd add this as I didn't see it mentioned.

Check your scandisk/chkdsk .chk files (FILE0000.chk, FILE0001.chk, etc usually put in FOUND.000 folder). My bookmarks were there as one of those files, put there because something went awry I guess.

Whew.
Between thought and expression lies a lifetime
heldje

Sort of Dissappearing Bookmarks

Post by heldje »

I have a periodic problem where my bookmarks go away, but they don't really. Instead I see that Firefox has created a new bookmarks file that contains nothing and then renamed my previous bookmarks file bookmarks-1.html. This happens somewhat randomly, and since it's easy to fix I haven't bothered to look into it. Anyone know what would cause this? - JH
DanE

Post by DanE »

heldje (or anyone) how do you fix it I haven't got a clue and all of my bookmarks have disapeared.

Also, I made a new profile when I was ask to can I get rid of it? Does it complicate things?

Thanks in advance.
VectorThunder

Post by VectorThunder »

Dan E: Why don't you read this thread? Your answer to how to get back to the original profile is already here at post number 6!!!

"Close Firefox.
Open Task Manager (ctrl-alt-del) and look in the 'processes' list and if you find 'firefox.exe' then highlight it and click on 'end task'.

Now go:

Start > run, and type in: firefox.exe -p

That is firefox.exe<space><hyphen>p

That should launch Profile Manager and you should see TWO profiles listed. The original 'default' one has all your old settings. Delete the new one you created and launch with the old one.

If the above path doesn't launch Profile Manager, you may need to enter it as follows instead:

Start > run > firefox.exe -ProfileManager

If ever you get asked, out of the blue, to create a new Profile, don't. Just do the 'Task Manager' thing above and you can launch normally."
- a latter day saint