Losing bookmarks

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
mcm_ham

Post by mcm_ham »

Anonymous wrote:I have typed firefox.exe -ProfileManager ..... and it does nothing but open a firefox internet window. It doesn't list profiles. When I type it, it is no different than if I were to click on the icon on the desktop.

That's because Firefox is running, restart the computer to make sure it's not.

Post by Guest »

I had the same good luck as that of stoneskull. Yesterday the computer was shut off without proper shutdown and I had restarted and the normal scandisk took place. After reading stoneskull's post, I searched there in the FOUND files and lo! all the bookmark were lying there in the latest FOUND file!! Although now it is in Mozilla file format and I will have to make the respective folders and transfer ALL the bookmarks to them, its a great relief that I got the back. Thanks stoneskull and everybody else on this forum.

Post by Guest »

I was using FF 0.9.2 on my WinXP since I switched from IE and was really happy with it. Then recently I copied all my FF bookmarks to IE, then deleted FF 0.9.2 completely (to avoid version conflicts) and installed 1.0. I imported my bookmarks back from IE (I went the way over IE because I did not know about exporting bookmarks) and everything was just fine...
until I closed FF: The next time I started it up, all bookmarks were gone. I thought I had done something wrong and reimported the IE stuff. Right now, I have to do this every time I start up FF. To make matters worse, IE lost about 10% of my bookmarks in the last days.

Having noticed the "bookmarks-1.html" to "bookmarks-208.html" files in my Profile folder, I was happy to read this:
Anonymous wrote:1. open up a dos/command prompt
2. dir to the directory that contains the subject files
3. enter this command: copy/b bookmarks-*.html newmarks.html [hit enter]
4. this will combine all those files into one named newmarks.html
5. open up FireFox
6. goto Manage Bookmarks in the Bookmarks dropdown
7. goto File/Import
8. Select File
9. drill down to the directory that has the newmarks.html file
10. select that file --- newmarks.html
11. you should now have your bookmarks back

If the above does not work, delete the newmarks.html file and repeat the above instructions but change the command in item #3 to copy/a bookmarks-*.html newmarks.html.

Both the "copy/a" and "copy/b" methods leave me with a new but empty folder in FF's bookmarks dropdown.My problem may not sound that severe (as I still have most of my bookmarks in IE), but it is a pest to import the bookmarks every F'in time I want to visit one.

For me, there are two differences between IE and FF at the moment:
1. IE has popups and
2. IE manages to keep my bookmarks.
saku

Post by saku »

Oh, don't mind me; I'm just venting here like most of us fellow victims. Sigh, time to import my horrendously outdated IE bookmarks since I've been using Firefox for quite some time...
jabelar

Post by jabelar »

Thanks, it works with me but but the "active sync" of my pocket pc ask to create a new profile. What shoul I do?
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Go back to the beginning of this thread, this is covered on the first page.
Win 10 Pro x64, AMD Ryzen 5 5600G 6 core, 3900 MHz (4450 Turbo), AMD Radeon Vega (integrated graphics). 16GB DDR4-3200, Firefox 124.0.1, Developer Edition 125.0b5, Nightly 126.0a1.
pearlywhites

Post by pearlywhites »

I tried to download the bookmark backup extension, but it won't install b/c of a download error. I told FF to allow downloads from that site & restarted FF. What's the prob?

BTW thanks for the info re: changing profiles.

Post by Guest »

n/m
just right-clicked & saved, dragged to extensions manager. seemed to work. thx anyhoo

Post by Guest »

why did they do all this to start with. leave well enought alone
propagandhi

Post by propagandhi »

I wish they'd have fixed this a long time ago. It is very annyoing.
YrbkMgr

Post by YrbkMgr »

Please see: <a href="http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?p=1238722#1238722"> <b>Thoughts on Missing Bookmarks</b></a>
The nice thing about standards in computing is that there are so many from which to choose.
dragonladyohio

bookmarks reverted? tried all previous fixes- plz help!

Post by dragonladyohio »

My problem is a little unique, as I haven’t just lost part of my bookmarks; it appears as though they actually reverted to a previous state about 2 months ago. In other words, there was bookmarks there now that I had previously deleted in addition to the lost bookmarks. I know I should have backed them up…I feel like a complete fool, as I have hundreds of bookmarks and they are very important to me. Anyways, I’ve tried all of the fixes that I have read about on this list and none have worked so far. The profile manager showed I only have one profile. I searched for any files including the letters bookmark, .bak, .chk, or found (to find anything like: bookmarks-1.html, bookmarks.bak, file000.chk). I did not find anything. I downloaded PC Inspector file recovery program and then looked for the same things (bookmark, .bak, .chk, etc). Found lots of stuff and looked at them in txt and html, but not what I was looking for. Oh, and I'm running win2k. If anyone has any other ideas, I’d appreciate it.
Linda
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

You should post this as a new topic,since it's not exactly the same problem as the subject of this thread. More people would view it and there'd be more chance somebody would have an idea as to what happened (I sure don't). My only suggestion is to get the Bookmarks Backup extension at WWW.extensionsmirror.nl so you always have a backup.
TheOneKEA

Post by TheOneKEA »

http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=15 is far better, because it allows you to store your bookmarks away from your computer.
Proud user of teh Fox of Fire
Registered Linux User #289618
rtmjr50

Listing of Bookmark Backup Extensions & Utilities

Post by rtmjr50 »

A Listing of Firefox bookmark backup extensions and utilities:

To Import or Export bookmarks To/From the current version of Firefox
    (1) File -> Import -> (IE, Netscape, Mozilla, Opera)
    (2) Bookmarks -> Manage Bookmarks -> File -> Import -> (IE, Netscape, Mozilla, Opera or File)
    (3) Bookmarks -> Manage Bookmarks -> File -> Export -> (bookmarks.html)
    NOTE: Firefox 2.0 it's Bookmarks -> Organize Bookmarks ->

FYI - Sometime Firefox has problems with importing some favorites from IE .... use the IE import/export wizard to export them from IE and then use #2 to import them into Firefox.
    (1) open IE ...
    File -> import/export wizard -> chose favorites -> export to a file -> bookmarks.html
    (2) open Firefox .....
    Bookmarks -> Manage Bookmarks -> File -> Import -> from file -> bookmarks.html

• Knowledge Base: Category "Bookmarks" ... is a listing of all articles dealing with "bookmark" issues. Some of these are as follows:
    Import bookmarks from Internet Explorer, MSN Explorer, Opera, Safari, & SBC Yahoo! Browser.
    Features:
    Live Bookmarks
    Multiple row bookmark toolbar
    Sorting bookmarks alphabetically
    Issues:
    Bookmarks not saved
    Multiple bookmarks files created
    Lost Bookmarks
  • Lost my bookmarks --- Now what ??? by rtmjr50
  • "ALL" bookmark extensions at "Firefox Add-ons" site
  • Firefox 1.5 automatic backups of your bookmarks - Firefox stores all your bookmarks in your profile in one file: bookmarks.html. One of the new features in Firefox 1.5 is a 5 day automatic backup of your bookmarks.html file. Each backup copy is stored in the \bookmarkbackups folder in your profile.
    FYI: Bookmarkbackups folder
  • Bookmark Backup 0.41 (1.5 +) extension does a automatic daily backup of all 13 user files when you exit firefox correctly .... this gives you seven different copies of each user file before overwriting one ..... it won't help with a bad profile ... but you will never loose your bookmarks ... To add other files (default is only bookmarks.html) to the backup .... highlight the extension in the extension manager (tools -> extensions) and press the option .... you can store the backup any place you like.
    Whats new in Bookmark Backup 0.41
    # Partially rewritten to make the extension more reliable, additionally it now performs backups both at shutdown and every 2 hours. The backup interval can be tweaked by setting the bookmarkbackup.interval pref to a value in minutes, you can also enable/disable startup/shutdown backups with the bookmarkbackup.startupBackup and bookmarkbackup.shutdownBackup prefs.
    # Added a logging mode to help track down backup problems. To enable it set the pref bookmarkbackup.loggingEnabled to true, this will create a file named bookmarkbackup.log in your profile folder.

Download Bookmark Backup 0.33 for Firefox 1.0.x
    Author's homepage for this extension.
  • Bookmarks Synchronizer 1.0.1 for Firefox 1.0 extension lets you connect to an FTP/WebDAV server and synchronize your bookmarks that are stored in an XML file. Setup is easy; just write in your FTP/WebDAV server address, username, password and a name for the XML file.
  • Bookmarks Synchronizer 3 for Firefox 1.5 extension lets you connect to an FTP/WebDAV server and synchronize your bookmarks that are stored in an XML file. Setup is easy; just write in your FTP/WebDAV server address, username, password and a name for the XML file.
  • Chipmark extension allows you to take your bookmarks wherever you go. Your bookmarks are stored on a central server, and they can be accessed from anywhere in the world. Any confidential information will be kept safe; Chipmark uses 128-bit SSL encryption. This extension mimics much of Firefox's Bookmarks menu, but with the added functionality of the Chipmark service.
  • Firefox Extension Backup Extension (FEBE) extension allows you to quickly and easily backup your Firefox extensions. In fact, it goes beyond just backing up -- It will actually rebuild your extensions individually into installable .xpi files. Now you can easily synchronize your office and home browsers.
    FEBE backs up your extensions, themes, and (optionally) your bookmarks, preferences and cookies.
  • OpenBook extension allows for customization of the Add Bookmark dialog. The bookmarks tree can be automatically opened and elements can be added or removed. The entire dialog can even be bypassed!
  • PlainOldFavorites extension allows you to use the Internet Explorer and Windows Favorites directly from Firefox. PlainOldFavorites allows using the Favorites folder directly from Firefox without needing to import or synchronize the bookmarks first. Some users still wish to keep some or all their bookmarks in the Windows Favorites folder. There can be several reasons for this. First, some new Firefox users might find the transition to Firefox smoother if they can still use their familiar Favorites folder. Also, a link to the Favorites folder can be found in several places throughout Windows, which makes it a convenient option for storing links.
    Features
    * Access your Favorites directly from Firefox.
    * Add a Favorite.
    * Organize Favorites.
    * Open in Tabs.
  • SyncMarks extension allows you to synchronize your Firefox bookmarks with a variety of targets, including HTML, XML, the Windows Favorites folder, FTP, etc. Want to have an up-to-date Windows favorites folder and a backup of your bookmarks to carry around with you? No problem! This extension will make sure you are always current.
  • AM-DeadLink is a utility that detects dead links and duplicates in your Browser Bookmarks. If a Bookmark has become unavailable you can verify it in the internal preview and delete it from your Browser. Additionally you can download FavIcons for all your Favorites and Bookmarks.
    AM-Deadlink works with Internet Explorer, Opera, Mozilla and Firefox.
  • BackupFox is a utility that backups your Firefox and Thunderbird profile.
    1. This is still BETA; there may be some glitches
    2. This saves a complete backup of your profile, not just extensions or bookmarks.
    3. It uses 7-zip commandline to create and extract archives.
    4. It requires administrative rights (on NT-class Windows)
    5. It has not been tested with Windows 9x/Me
    6. Version 0.7+ supports Firefox and Thunderbird.
    7. Version 0.72+ can exclude cache from backups.
  • Bookmark Bridge is a utility that now supports merging bookmarks between Internet Explorer, Opera, Mozilla Navigator, Mozilla Firebird, and Konqueror. BookmarkBridge will now preserve the order of bookmarks within each browser before and after a merge. In addition, separators in Mozilla are now preserved.
  • Bookmark Conversion tool is a utility that allows you complete Merge/Convertion between supported browsers. Features including:
    * Supports all major browsers (Internet Explorer, Netscape, Opera, Mozilla, Firefox)
    * Converts bookmarks in any direction between any browser types
    * Keeps any number of bookmark collections on your computer automatically synchronized
    * Always keeps original order of bookmarks during conversion (if not in sort mode)
    * Translates "Personal Toolbar Folder" / "Links" folder automatically
    * Sorts any bookmark collection, customizable
    * Merges bookmark collections of any type
    * Detects duplicates in any bookmark collection
    * Lets you search for, and browse/edit, any bookmarks in any collection
    * Command-line functionality, fully controllable from any script or desktop icon
    * No size limit for bookmark collections being processed
    * Remote conversion for multiple users in large networks
    * Super-easy interface - anyone can use it
    * Detailed and easily accessible help for all operations
  • (MBS) Mozilla Bookmark Sorter is a Java program which sorts Firefox, Mozilla Suite, and Netscape bookmarks.
    MBS Features
    * Free to download & use
    * Fast sorting
    * Automatically backs up your bookmarks file before sorting
    * Preserves all bookmark data including descriptions and separators
    * Graphical and command line interface
    * Ça marche
  • MozBackup is a utility for creating complete backups of Mozilla, Mozilla Firefox, Mozilla Thunderbird and Netscape user profiles. It allows you to backup mail, bookmarks, contacts, etc. MozBackup 1.4 supports automatic backup.
    Format is: backup.exe (application) (name of profile)
    Application: -m = Mozilla Suite -f = Mozilla Firefox -t = Mozilla Thunderbird
    Example: backup.exe -m default
    You can set default store path in file backup.ini. If there are some problems, see file error.log.
    FYI: Knowledge Base on MozillaZine: MozBackup

Firefox stores all your personal settings, such as bookmarks, passwords and extensions, in a profile. The profile is stored on your hard drive in a profile folder. This folder is located in a different location than your Firefox program folder.

Windows 2000 and XP users
    If you cannot find your profile folder, the default profile locations are under "Application Data", which is a hidden folder. You need to do the following:
    In Window Explorer (i.e. double-click My Computer) click: Tools → Folder Options → View (tab) → Show Hidden files and folders.
    To do a Windows Search: To search default profile locations under the "Application Data" folder, you will need to enable searching hidden files and folders. Click: "Start → Search → More advanced options →" and select "Search hidden files and folders".

From the MozillaZine Firefox Knowledge Base:
    Knowledge base: Category:Profile contents (Firefox)
    Knowledge base: Category:Profile
  • Profile Folder
  • Where is my profile folder?
  • What is in my profile?
  • Profile backup
  • Moving your profile folder
  • Migrating settings to a new profile
  • Profile Manager
  • Accessing the Profile Manager

From the Firefox Online Help:
  • How To Manage Profiles
  • Backing up your profile
  • Move an existing profile or restore a backed up profile
  • Guide: Fixing a bad Firefox Profile by rtmjr50

PMs are always welcome ...

later, Richard
Last edited by rtmjr50 on June 27th, 2006, 5:37 am, edited 54 times in total.
Rule #1: My computer is always right, the human is always the problem .. RULE #2: See Rule #1
using Win XP/SP2 (home) FF1.5.0.9 FF2.0.0.1 FF3a1 Tbird1.5.0.9 ==> Press for More Answers <==
No colours in sig please.