Losing bookmarks

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
ZenWarrior

One day....

Post by ZenWarrior »

And I invariably get a hard time here (if not flamed even) for saying Firefox still isn't ready for prime time. I've certainly learned not to trust it over the past year-and-a-half. Nope, I never turn my back on it. :(

Hmmm...and there's another browser out there that I also cannot turn my back on. I often find myself thinking I'm merely trading one set of problems for another. :( However, I can actually manage that other browser's supposed problems. At least I know what to expect when I awake each morning. It is far easier to deal with known problems than unknown/unexpected and seemingly random problems.

However, I do keep faithfully watching--and waiting. One day FF will actually be my default browser--I think.

I have a dream that one day all [God's browsers]....
<I>The poor bastards; they've got us surrounded. Now we can fire in any direction! They won't get away this time!</I> --Marine Lt. Gen. "Chesty" Puller
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

I think that for most people losing bookmarks is just a minor inconvenience,but still...I hope the next version of ff contains a fix for this.'Til then I'm getting that bookmarks backup extension.
Win 10 Pro x64, AMD Ryzen 5 5600G 6 core, 3900 MHz (4450 Turbo), AMD Radeon Vega (integrated graphics). 16GB DDR4-3200, Firefox 124.0.1, Developer Edition 125.0b5, Nightly 126.0a1.
Timmmah

Post by Timmmah »

I cannot be true, that a browser, which has "rediscover the web" written on its flags looses damn bookmarks. Who could I, whithout? For me, it's the third time now and to all those "why didn't you have a backup"-guys I got the answer: a program that looses such important data constantly is just not useable. Do you really want me to backup my bookmarks constantly? What's the year, you are living in? 1980? My mirrored disks prevent me of every type of data-loss, but this is software-made! Think about it...

Post by Guest »

So how many "looky-at-this-shiny-new-WalMart-computer-I-got-for-Christmas" people do you know that mirror their drives.....or even have a clue what that refers to? Backups are still part of life for most people.

Post by Guest »

Add me as another disgusted user that has lost bookmarks for the 2nd time on 2 different, unconnected systems for NO APPARENT REASON. No crash, nothing. I just turned on my system and poof, they're gone. I am not a neophyte user, either. The files are just gone.

I've installed the backup extension but really, I can't believe this big of a bug made it to final release.

Come on, Mozilla guys.. fix this.
ZenWarrior

Post by ZenWarrior »

Thank you! Now that the masses have begun to adopt FF, it's really nice to see all the things I said all along were problems, really are! However, when I said something about them long ago, I would invariably be flamed or called stupid. Good to see otherwise. That's the problem with anything being not unlike a religion (i.e., Firefox) and the evangelists that espouse it. They can't see anything else, even when it's staring them in the face. And any problems certainly cannot be with what they believe.

But right now, and with all the [additional] evidence still being provided in these forums, many here do not see. Why does Firefox corrupt so frequently? Why is it profiles have to be rebuilt so frequently? Read through the threads and see if that is not presented as the solution to 75% of all problems. That tells me there's a very serious problem with Firefox that really needs to be addressed, but has not been.
<I>The poor bastards; they've got us surrounded. Now we can fire in any direction! They won't get away this time!</I> --Marine Lt. Gen. "Chesty" Puller
BrettV

Post by BrettV »

Again, all of the kvetching aside, because that does no good...

Does anyone have a fix for thse of us who've lost bookmarks for no apparent reason and were unable to find them using the aforemntioned solutions?

I am a student doing research, and it would take me months to try and recreate my bookmark lists from scratch.

Post by Guest »

what is the file restoration utility being used by some people? i'm getting despserate, nothing has worked.
WalterPP

Updated firefox and lost bookmarks

Post by WalterPP »

I installed firefox 1.0 on top of 0.8 and lost all my firefox bookmarks. How to get them back?
mcm_ham

Post by mcm_ham »

The profile folder changed locations between versions, the new installation is meant to automatically transfer your settings across but I guess it failed for some reason. If all you want is the bookmarks copy the bookmarks.html located in a subfolder of:

C:\Documents and Settings\<UserName>\Application Data\Phoenix\Profiles

to the appropiate subfolder of:

C:\Documents and Settings\<UserName>\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox
WalterPP

Post by WalterPP »

Thank you! I can't thank you enough.

Caution:Of course the default Firefox 1.0 bookmarks.html file disapears when you copy your old 0.8 bookmarks.html into the 1.0 Firefox folder.
mcm_ham

Post by mcm_ham »

Good point, I should have suggested opening "manage bookmarks" from the bookmarks menu then going "File->import->from file". Anyway glad I could help.
cee1126

thanks

Post by cee1126 »

it work fine!!!!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK: That was the 'hanging' firefox.exe 'process' still running on your system. Do the following:

Close Firefox.
Open Task Manager (ctrl-alt-del) and look in the 'processes' list and if you find 'firefox.exe' then highlight it and click on 'end task'.

Now go:

Start > run, and type in: firefox.exe -p

That is firefox.exe<space><hyphen>p

That should launch Profile Manager and you should see TWO profiles listed. The original 'default' one has all your old settings. Delete the new one you created and launch with the old one.

If the above path doesn't launch Profile Manager, you may need to enter it as follows instead:

Start > run > firefox.exe -ProfileManager

If ever you get asked, out of the blue, to create a new Profile, don't. Just do the 'Task Manager' thing above and you can launch normally.

Good luck.
DarkFader

Post by DarkFader »

Try some undelete program :)
I could recover some .moztmp files... I hope they work.
lina527

Post by lina527 »

I've been using Firefox for about 5 months now, no problems, haven't looked back at IE since. So I haven't been on the comp for a few days, I log in, get into firefox, browse a couple websites, and I want to add one to Bookmarks, to find all of them GONE. I went through stuff that was deleted, I looked at the .moztmp files, I've done the Task Manager thing, I've read everything in this forum about what to do when losing bookmarks, but nothing has helped. I get that I should have backed it up, but I didn't even know you COULD back bookmarks up. Is there absolutely NO WAY at ALL to recover bookmarks when you log in one day to just find them all gone with no apparent explanation??