MozillaZine

Losing bookmarks

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
alphawave2k
Guest
 

Post Posted April 23rd, 2005, 6:20 am

I have just purchased a new computer, and have been able to transfer everything including bookmarks, but not the passwords. I've transferred the profiles folder in its entirety, but they don't seem to come over. Any suggestions on how to do this. Old system is Windows 98, new is XP, Firefox V 1.02.

mcm_ham

User avatar
 
Posts: 1747
Joined: June 16th, 2004, 6:09 am
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand

Post Posted April 23rd, 2005, 6:45 am

The passwords are stored in signons.txt & key3.db files in your profile folder. If you are copying profiles across note the advice in this post:

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 27&start=2

Guest
Guest
 

Post Posted April 23rd, 2005, 9:11 am

OK, I kept the default on and it STILL doesnt have my old bookmarks.

Guest
Guest
 

Post Posted April 23rd, 2005, 9:20 am

THANK YOU!

AnotherGuest.
 
Posts: 2158
Joined: December 22nd, 2004, 11:47 am

Post Posted April 23rd, 2005, 9:26 am

Guest, no one has any way of knowing who you are or the details of your problem. You need to identify yourself.

Guest
Guest
 

Post Posted April 23rd, 2005, 9:33 am

This is all waaaay too complicated. I'm thinking about going back to IE.

mozkiitoz
Guest
 

Post Posted May 15th, 2005, 1:46 pm

I'm on firefox 1.0.2
Windows 2000 prof.

Pc crashed, after reboot all bookmarks gone. Passwords and visited sites still here.
No second profile. Default. bookmarks.html and bak are 423bytes (guess what? no bookmarks).
cant find bookmarks-1.html, bookmarks.html.moztmp, FOUND.000 folder.
i like farking really pissed! theres like a year of bookmarks, all gone.

what can i do to restore them?
and dont give me 'you need to back up every day'. cause it doesnt work for yesterday.
please help :(

rtmjr50

User avatar
 
Posts: 6318
Joined: August 2nd, 2004, 5:06 pm
Location: Raleigh, NC USA

Post Posted May 15th, 2005, 1:59 pm

mozkiitoz wrote:I'm on firefox 1.0.2
Windows 2000 prof.

Pc crashed, after reboot all bookmarks gone. Passwords and visited sites still here.
No second profile. Default. bookmarks.html and bak are 423bytes (guess what? no bookmarks).
cant find bookmarks-1.html, bookmarks.html.moztmp, FOUND.000 folder.
i like farking really pissed! theres like a year of bookmarks, all gone.

what can i do to restore them?
and dont give me 'you need to back up every day'. cause it doesnt work for yesterday.
please help :(


read: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 64#1250164 ... solution #2

later, Richard
Rule #1: My computer is always right, the human is always the problem .. RULE #2: See Rule #1
using Win XP/SP2 (home) FF1.5.0.9 FF2.0.0.1 FF3a1 Tbird1.5.0.9 ==> Press for More Answers <==
No colours in sig please.

craigevil

User avatar
 
Posts: 3103
Joined: February 20th, 2005, 2:12 pm
Location: OZ

Post Posted May 15th, 2005, 2:15 pm

<b>Backup Your Bookmarks and Profile</b>
Bookmark Backup 0.3.3
Synchronize bookmarks between Browsers

Once you find a thread with your problem <b>READ</b> through it.
Don't just post you are having the same problems.

Lost Bookmarks? "All Bookmarks are gone" -Bring them back!

I lost my marbles. Does that count? :)

mozkiitoz
Guest
 

Post Posted May 16th, 2005, 4:58 am

Richard, the bookmark.html is empty and also the bak file. (423bytes).
The solution dosen't help me :(.

And yes, now I installed the backup (yesterday).


How can i get my boomarks back? I read the whole thread yesterday!
Nothing useful :(

AnotherGuest.
 
Posts: 2158
Joined: December 22nd, 2004, 11:47 am

Post Posted May 16th, 2005, 6:39 am

It doesn't help us to say that there was nothing useful. You need to tell us what you did and what you found.

If you want, I can give you a reference to another site with screen shots that help you find the bookmarks if they are there. But first you have to agree to report back.
Last edited by AnotherGuest. on May 18th, 2005, 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

rtmjr50

User avatar
 
Posts: 6318
Joined: August 2nd, 2004, 5:06 pm
Location: Raleigh, NC USA

Post Posted May 16th, 2005, 6:48 am

mozkiitoz wrote:Richard, the bookmark.html is empty and also the bak file. (423bytes).
The solution dosen't help me :(.
And yes, now I installed the backup (yesterday).
How can i get my boomarks back? I read the whole thread yesterday!
Nothing useful :(


using chkdsk or a undelete utility ... did not do it? ...

or do you need help on reconstruction of the found file back into firefox ... assuming chkdsk created one ... or a web site to download a free undelete utility ...

later, Richard
Rule #1: My computer is always right, the human is always the problem .. RULE #2: See Rule #1
using Win XP/SP2 (home) FF1.5.0.9 FF2.0.0.1 FF3a1 Tbird1.5.0.9 ==> Press for More Answers <==
No colours in sig please.

mozkiitoz
 
Posts: 1
Joined: May 16th, 2005, 9:53 am

Post Posted May 16th, 2005, 11:51 am

rtmjr50 wrote:
mozkiitoz wrote:Richard, the bookmark.html is empty and also the bak file. (423bytes).
The solution dosen't help me :(.
And yes, now I installed the backup (yesterday).
How can i get my boomarks back? I read the whole thread yesterday!
Nothing useful :(


using chkdsk or a undelete utility ... did not do it? ...

or do you need help on reconstruction of the found file back into firefox ... assuming chkdsk created one ... or a web site to download a free undelete utility ...

later, Richard
Yes, i run chkdsk. Cant find folder FOUND.000 or the chkdsk files.
undelete utility run for 3hrs, and found nothing useful( eData Unerase).

i don't know what to do now.

tinnedsheep
Guest
 

Post Posted May 31st, 2005, 2:45 am

I LOVE YOU

hellene

User avatar
 
Posts: 5130
Joined: March 20th, 2005, 5:29 pm
Location: Bradford W.Yorks

Post Posted May 31st, 2005, 4:15 am

tinnedsheep wrote:I LOVE YOU
OK OK, what have we been and done and gone now :) :)
I don't know how to do any of this stuff, I just hire the guys that do
Have you considered reading the HELP folder. Right there on your menu bar.
Image by Juniper http onic.net/~daylight/ - Xmas special by Ol Grumpy

Return to Firefox Support


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests