How to prevent Firefox Safe Mode

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
tacotuesday9991

How to prevent Firefox Safe Mode

Post by tacotuesday9991 »

first off, my problem is NOT that firefox keeps starting in safe mode. my problem is that it is possible.

basically, I have really bad problems with controlling myself on the internet...and I waste to much time on various forums, blogs, facebook, youtube etc.

I am using LeechBlock which is amazing, but it is very easy to bypass by going into safe mode. I have deleted my safe mode shortcut, but sadly I still have no self-restraint, and it is soooo easy to start from the command prompt....hence I am looking for a way to completely disable the safe mode option for firefox.

I think that if I can figure that out, I will basically have myself under control...which would be awesome...I might actually do my homework and study for my finals then!

So yeah, thanks in advance if anyone can show me how to do this!
patrickjdempsey

Re: How to prevent Firefox Safe Mode

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Hmmm.... ADD medication? Just kidding. Safe Mode is a built-in part of Firefox and like Windows Safe Mode, is just a start-up option that automatically turns off extensions and restores the default theme. Even if you could disable Safe Mode, you could always just Disable "LeechBlock" and restart Firefox within seconds.

If you want to just completely block time-wasting sites you could add them to your hosts file so that they won't open in any browser.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
tacotuesday9991

if there's no way, then I guess i'll have to figure something out, though i'll stick around here to see if anyone else has thoughts. medication might actually be the solution lol.

But when I said LeechBlock is awesome, I wasn't kidding! Not only does it prevent you from disabling or uninstalling it, it also blocks about:config. the only way i know to disable it is safe mode, or to physically delete the files from the profile folder (which i think I CAN control myself from doing).

thank for the response though!
tacotuesday9991

so i figured it out: I used 7z to extract from the browser.jar file two files called SafeMode.js & SafeMode.xul.

I then used skpet to make the "cancel" option the only one, so safe mode can never run. I used 7z to place them back in the archive. yay!

Post by Guest »

Thats pretty funny kingabraham3, I know what you are talking about though. However even If firefox safemode is taken out, don't you have IE or Safari on your machine?.......Also your smartphone has internet. I don't recommend this but if you are a already smoker.....cigs beat off any other guilty urges out and they don't waste that much time.
Artic

Post by Artic »

Honestly, you should probably get someone else to block those sites for you and only let them have the password. That should help. When you have put doors up that's a step in the right direction. But when you keep all the keys yourself...you still have a few steps to go. :)

It's not really a question of disabling the safe mode for firefox. In a nice way...maybe it's a way to grow in self control.
tacotuesday9991

thanks for the support. i basically now have myself under control --- IE is disabled through Add/remove windows features, and i don't have any other browsers installed. the password to leechblock is randomly generated so i can't go into the settings, and about:config is disabled so i can't look up the password there (except for one minute a day!). i can't disable or uninstall the add-on because that is blocked, and i can't launch safe mode anymore...so i'm pretty comtrolled! obviously i can still delete the leechblock files from the profile folder and i can always install another browser, but i think i can manage not to do that....
tacotuesday9991

oh, and the best part -- i set the leechblock page to a custom html that i made with a huge stop sign and in big words "get back to work b*tch!" and it plays a wav file i found of a really loud annoying emergency alarm sound.
Artic

Post by Artic »

kingabraham3 wrote:oh, and the best part -- i set the leechblock page to a custom html that i made with a huge stop sign and in big words "get back to work b*tch!" and it plays a wav file i found of a really loud annoying emergency alarm sound.

Nice...lol. It sounds like your doing better. :) Good luck!