MozillaZine

Firefox 3.6.3 - Linux- No Java Option

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
timepilot01

Post Posted May 5th, 2010, 2:38 pm

I couldn't figure out after installing Java on many linux distros why wasn't Java working? ](*,)
When I looked under Preferences in Firefox 3.6.3 using Linux there isn't an option to enable Java. =D> I couldn't believe it was released with no option to enable "Java". :roll: Click the link so you can see for yourself " no java here".

James

Post Posted May 5th, 2010, 3:48 pm

Java is a Plugin so to enable/disable it you go to Tools->Add-ons->Plugins->Java and Java if being used by Firefox would be enabled by default.

Also with Firefox 3.6 and later versions you need the Next-Generation Java™ Plug-In (libnpjp2.so; present in Java 6 U10 and later).

http://java.com/en/download/faq/firefox_newplugin.xml
http://java.sun.com/javase/6/webnotes/i ... linux.html

DanRaisch

Post Posted May 5th, 2010, 3:48 pm

Moving to Firefox Support.

dickvl

Post Posted May 5th, 2010, 5:29 pm

See if you can find a java-1_6_0-sun-plugin package for your distribution.
That should include the plugin

See also http://kb.mozillazine.org/Java

I have the plugin in this location:
/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.6.0-sun-1.6.0/jre/lib/i386/libnpjp2.so

timepilot01

Post Posted May 5th, 2010, 9:52 pm

James wrote:Java is a Plugin so to enable/disable it you go to Tools->Add-ons->Plugins->Java and Java if being used by Firefox would be enabled by default.]

I think I would know that since I've manually installed Java in a Linux distro. :lol:

dickvl wrote:See if you can find a java-1_6_0-sun-plugin package for your distribution.
That should include the plugin]

I already downloaded and installed the sun plugin as you call it. If you clicked the link in my original post there is "NO" option to enable "JAVA" in Firefox 3.6.3. If you look closely it's not there but it is in previous versions like 3.5.9 :mrgreen:

You can move the original post to Firefox support but it's clearly a bug. :roll:

Btw I installed Java with a Firefox 3.5.9 browser and it had a java option, but like
my op stated Firefox 3.6.3 doesn't have an option to enable java. :banana:

Get it now :?:

timepilot01

Post Posted May 5th, 2010, 10:06 pm

Whoever set up this board, where is the users profile? What no logout button too? :lol:

DanRaisch

Post Posted May 6th, 2010, 4:15 am

Did you check the link to the User Control Panel on the right hand side of the page? And the Logout link is there as well.

timepilot01

Post Posted May 6th, 2010, 1:30 pm

DanRaisch wrote:Did you check the link to the User Control Panel on the right hand side of the page? And the Logout link is there as well.

I don't know where you see "User Control Panel " or a "Logout link" on this board after logging in. :lol:

Here's a screen shot of this board, where do you see those items?

Here's a link from another phpbb board, notice two items that are visible after signing in on this board? :mrgreen:

That's what should be displayed after signing in but isn't on this board. :roll:

Grumpus

Post Posted May 6th, 2010, 2:28 pm

Something's screwy with your image management or window metrics if you're not seeing the side menu.
Maybe do a re-install of Firefox along with checking the Lucid repositories for the latest Java package if you really need it.
You should also try and see if there are any updates to the packages on your system.
There were a number of graphic and various updates within the past two weeks, as recent as this morning.
Cashless society sacrifices independence, privacy and lastly liberty, encouraged by ignorance and villainy.

James

Post Posted May 6th, 2010, 3:23 pm

timepilot01 wrote:
DanRaisch wrote:Did you check the link to the User Control Panel on the right hand side of the page? And the Logout link is there as well.

I don't know where you see "User Control Panel " or a "Logout link" on this board after logging in. :lol:

Here's a screen shot of this board, where do you see those items?

Here's a link from another phpbb board, notice two items that are visible after signing in on this board? :mrgreen:

That's what should be displayed after signing in but isn't on this board. :roll:

You should be seeing a sidebar of links on the right side regardless of wherever you are on this forum.
For example I have (do not feel like doing a screen shot):
Logout [ James ]
0 new messages
User Control Panel
View your posts

FAQ / Rules
Members / Staff

Search
Boards (Advanced):

Knowledge Base:

submit news

forums
weblogs (feedHouse)
knowledge base

chat
store
about

fr ja ko es

James

Post Posted May 6th, 2010, 3:34 pm

timepilot01 wrote:
James wrote:Java is a Plugin so to enable/disable it you go to Tools->Add-ons->Plugins->Java and Java if being used by Firefox would be enabled by default.]

I think I would know that since I've manually installed Java in a Linux distro. :lol:

dickvl wrote:See if you can find a java-1_6_0-sun-plugin package for your distribution.
That should include the plugin]

I already downloaded and installed the sun plugin as you call it. If you clicked the link in my original post there is "NO" option to enable "JAVA" in Firefox 3.6.3. If you look closely it's not there but it is in previous versions like 3.5.9 :mrgreen:

You can move the original post to Firefox support but it's clearly a bug. :roll:

Btw I installed Java with a Firefox 3.5.9 browser and it had a java option, but like
my op stated Firefox 3.6.3 doesn't have an option to enable java. :banana:

Get it now :?:

The version of Java is the critical part as Firefox 3.6 requires libnpjp2.so; present in Java 6 U10 and later, not the Java version that worked with Firefox 3.5 and earlier.

The point is since it is a Plugin so therefore it is disabled/enabled in the Plugins section like the other Plugins. Just because you are used to being able to check/uncheck "Enable Java" before does not mean it is a bug simply because you can not do this now. Beside this checkbox does nothing if your Firefox install is not even using a Java Plugin to begin with as it does not actually enable/disable the Java plugin. If Firefox is using a Java Plugin, it would be enabled by default unless you disable it in "Tools->Add-ons->Plugins->Java".

To see if your Firefox install is even using the Java Plugin, type about:plugins in Location bar. Also check the "Tools->Add-ons->Plugins".

Bluefang

Post Posted May 7th, 2010, 3:24 pm

I already downloaded and installed the sun plugin as you call it. If you clicked the link in my original post there is "NO" option to enable "JAVA" in Firefox 3.6.3. If you look closely it's not there but it is in previous versions like 3.5.9

In versions before 3.6, the Java plugin was OJI based. This had a lot of specialized code. Before plugins were available in the Add-Ons manager, that option was the only way to disable Java (aside from removing the plain). I also wouldn't be suprised if that option did more than just enable/disable the plugin (if it existed).

The new Java plugin uses the same API (NPAPI) that every other plugin, which means it can be treated like every other plugin. Also, with plguins being available in the Add-Ons manager, the old option became redundant. There were also concerns that it would confuse users by implying that Firefox had built-in Java support. So the option was removed.

The Java plugin is now managed like any other plugin, in the Add-Ons manager.

If the Java plugin does not show up in the manager, or in about:plugins, then it is not installed in the correct location or you installed the old OJI plugin.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_:_FAQ ... a#On_Linux
There have always been ghosts in the machine... random segments of code that have grouped together to form unexpected protocols. Unanticipated, these free radicals engender questions of free will, creativity, and even the nature of what we might call the soul...

jidun

Post Posted May 14th, 2010, 6:43 pm

This is a HUGE MONUMENTAL error in judgement on the Mozilla Team. I have been a firefox fan and user on linux for over seven years, this is absolute rubbish and when someone tells someone, you must've installed the old plugin is an incredulous remark as most people of course had a fully working firefox before they upgraded and got their java broken. It is not a simple fix when you have to remove old symbolic links put in a new java plugin and rebuild symbolic links manually. THIS IS ABSURD. ](*,) :evil:

James

Post Posted May 14th, 2010, 6:51 pm

The Java plugin being used in Firefox 3.5 and earlier was OJI based and is being being phased and replaced anyways.

Yet you are still mad at Mozilla and think the removal of the "Enable Java" in Options/Preferences is a bug or mistake.

Bluefang

Post Posted May 14th, 2010, 8:27 pm

It is not a simple fix when you have to remove old symbolic links put in a new java plugin and rebuild symbolic links manually. THIS IS ABSURD.

Go complain to your distro's package maintainers. It's their job to install the correct symlinks.
There have always been ghosts in the machine... random segments of code that have grouped together to form unexpected protocols. Unanticipated, these free radicals engender questions of free will, creativity, and even the nature of what we might call the soul...

Return to Firefox Support