Search Helper Extension

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Daledoc1

Re: Search Helper Extension

Post by Daledoc1 »

Hello:

What is the best/safest way to remove this without corrupting my FF profile, or (heaven forbid) the OS, registry, etc (after all, who knows WHERE this thing really is and what it does)?
I don't use the Bing toolbar, MS Live toolbar or any other feature this supposedly affects.
In fact, had I not gotten the "1 new add-on has been installed" from FF, I wouldn't have noticed it on my desktop (my ISS on my laptop DID flag the exe file and ask for permission).

I have already disabled it from the add-ons page within FF on both Win7 platforms and FF appears fine.
I did not (yet) uninstall it from the FF add-on menu.

Will a simple uninstall from the control panel add/remove programs be sufficient, as I am not comfortable editing the registry????

TYIA,

daledoc1
Updated specs: Longtime TB user. Currently on Win10 desktop (about to die), Win7 desktop (temporarily resuscitated), backup Win7 laptop (decommissioning soon), and -- soon -- Win11 PRO x64 desktop.
JEP2

Post by JEP2 »

This was installed on Firefox on my system because I have Windows Live Essentials installed, even though I tried to uninstall/ remove/ disable the Bing / Windows Live toolbar.

Frustrating and completely over the line on Microsoft's part.

Post by Guest »

This is revolting!
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
unltdsoul2

Post by unltdsoul2 »

FIREFOX Developers !!! This is a MAJOR Security Issue:
It doesn't matter if this Search Helper Extension is from MS or not, this is a security flaw in FF for allowing ANY one to automatically install extensions without user giving permission.
Even IF (And right now no one really knows) this is MS, if they can do this, so can hackers who can use this HOLE to install - god knows what.

How and Where do we go to make damn sure MS hears our complaints. Stay the Heck off my computer without me giving you my permission. This is the same as a House-Invasion - If there is no law against it, there should be one. I am writing to my Senators about this. I never gave MS permission to invade my privacy and third-party software any damn chance they get. It is time to seriously re-think Ubuntu, but, I just have too many MS based programs.... Still, it is time to re-consider getting out of MS's world.

Post by Guest »

Obviously very unsafe. Goodbye, FF!
Downloading GC right now.
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Established in 1998, MozillaZine is an independent Mozilla news, community and advocacy site.

MozillaZine is not run by the Mozilla Foundation and is not an official part of the Mozilla project.

And I would think the number of Dev's who hang around in Firefox Support would be zero. So stop ranting and if you won't then try
http://hendrix.mozilla.org/
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"

Post by Guest »

Additionally, when my computer rebooted this morning and i found MS put this malware on my system, in FireFox,
I was also greeted with IE up and running. MS opened it on boot up. One thing I cannot stand is Computer/home invasion. If you have ever been a victim of a house-break-in then you'll know the feeling - Someone - without your permission - has been in your home. You feel violated. And that is exactly how we all feel.
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

I upgraded this morning and had nothing added. If you run all those loopy toolbars then your partly the cause of your own downfall. It would be like leaving the keys in the front door with a "Welcome" Sign out front
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

djst wrote:
ghaspias wrote:Why should FF activate an extension that appeared from nowhere, when a user clicking on an install button at mozilla add-ons site (or droping a xpi) still requires a confirmation?

That's a massive security flaw!

That functionality, albeit useful, shouldn't ever be active without explicit user activation.

That actually sounds like a great idea and would fit in well with one of the core philosophies of Firefox, which is to put the user in control.

Well, it's certainly been one of the core philosophies of a good number of Firefox users here, for a good while now (while we were waiting around for Firefox to actually implement one it's core philosophies ;)) -

viewtopic.php?p=4693945#p4693945

BTW The Open Folder extension referred to in the opening post is here - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/545/
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
djst

Post by djst »

Whether or not devs hang out here or not isn't really relevant since the expected place to discuss new Firefox features (and where essentially all developers hang out every day) is mozilla.dev.apps.firefox. I went ahead and proposed the idea there: http://groups.google.com/group/mozilla. ... 4101ed139#.

As for the "Goodbye FF!" and other trolling, why not try to be a bit constructive instead? The idea proposed in this thread is great -- let's see if we can get that into Firefox.
kygin

Post by kygin »

malliz wrote:I upgraded this morning and had nothing added. If you run all those loopy toolbars then your partly the cause of your own downfall. It would be like leaving the keys in the front door with a "Welcome" Sign out front

But there are those of use who don't "run all those loopy toolbars" who *still* got the add-on.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

malliz wrote:I upgraded this morning and had nothing added. If you run all those loopy toolbars then your partly the cause of your own downfall. It would be like leaving the keys in the front door with a "Welcome" Sign out front

I completely agree with respect to the Toolbar statement :!:

If I were to install an applications that potentially touches another application... say if I were to install JAVA (which I did some time ago) and it installed a plugin into Firefox (which it did) I shouldn't be surprised if I were to update JAVA at some time and they have a new type of plugin to help support their relationship with Firefox ... and it installs that plugin into FF... that is common sense. I suppose it would not hurt if FF were to at least notify me of that install/change but since I manage my comp. carefully and consistently I don't really need that notification.

As far as toolbars go... all the crap that they viciously install is the reason I never use them ...plus, their coding sucks half the time.

For those who received the update stuff for FF but don't use toolbars... you must be using something else that MS supports and that created the plugin install... Still not a FF specific-issue.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

You had a toolbar somewhere. According to this
http://www.osnews.com/story/23436/Micro ... Through_WU
"Terry Pratchett"
Dowdy

Post by Dowdy »

As for the "Goodbye FF!" and other trolling, why not try to be a bit constructive instead? The idea proposed in this thread is great -- let's see if we can get that into Firefox.

I am NOT a developer, I am a USER and I got to this thread googleing for a solution. None is offered (to avoid having FF hacked).
No doubt this thing is not ready for a safe use, and this fact should be public.
We are talking about migrating until this MAJOR issue is solved, as a possible solution.