Search Helper Extension

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
PatrickDickey52761

Re: Search Helper Extension

Post by PatrickDickey52761 »

Personally I think that Mozilla should require an Uninstall option for every addon. If it doesn't allow you to Uninstall it from inside of Firefox, then they should block it. And Microsoft has no right adding this crap anywhere without my permission. Had I known this "important" update was just to enhance a toolbar that I don't use, I would have hid it.
bb_EcKo

Post by bb_EcKo »

anyone know how to uninstall it?
dont have any extension called search enhancement or w/e in FF
and also no FF folder in search enhancement pack.
only hace Choiceguard/cguard.exe and choiceguard.dll
maybe there's a registry key i should edit?
(do note that i never had any toolbar from m$ in the frst place)
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Did you read the other pages for a fix?
There are 1 or 2 posted.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
bb_ecko

Post by bb_ecko »

RickyK wrote:I found the extension! It was located in:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Search Enhancement Pack\Search Helper\

I deleted the Firefox Extension folder I found there there, and the extension was gone from Firefox.

(It may be hard to delete. I used Unlocker to delete it.)

found this one, but that's my point, don't have the search helper folder
GTryder

Post by GTryder »

bb_ecko wrote:anyone know how to uninstall it?
dont have any extension called search enhancement or ["Search Helper Extension"] in FF
and also no FF folder in search enhancement pack...
(do note that i never had any toolbar from m$ in the frst place)...

...found this one, but that's my point, don't have the search helper folder
Apparently, not everyone who installed this update was affected.
It seems as though the "Search Enhancement Pack" (or one of Microsofts' toolbars; AKA "Bing", etc.) had to be on ones' system, in the first place, for this update to then add the M/S "Search Helper Extension" to Firefox's Tools > Add-ons > Extensions.
The secondary problem, came into play, of this "Search Helper Extension" disabling the uninstall function (grayed-out) in the Add-Ons Manager; thus necessitating the removal that RickyK discovered.
Consider yourself fortunate...
Ab subabsurda numquid ad veritas. "From the somewhat absurd possibility to reality."
bb_EcKo

Post by bb_EcKo »

well, this might have been a totally different thing in the first place for me.
i dont indeed have/had this extension installed, but my location bar still get hijacked.
e.g :
if i type getfirefox (without "www." or ".com"), i still get redirected to bing, instead of going directly to the site, which annoys the crap out of me.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Have you installed any new program recently?
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
bb_EcKo

Post by bb_EcKo »

this started happening after windows update on june 9th
these are the installed updates:
kb980218
kb980195
kb979906
kb979559
kb982381
kb978695
kb979482
kb975562
kb982168
though, it didnt install the one with the toolbar
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

New programs, not windows updates.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
bb_EcKo

Post by bb_EcKo »

none
mart44

Post by mart44 »

bb_EcKo wrote:well, this might have been a totally different thing in the first place for me.
i dont indeed have/had this extension installed, but my location bar still get hijacked.
e.g :
if i type getfirefox (without "www." or ".com"), i still get redirected to bing, instead of going directly to the site, which annoys the crap out of me.

Don't know if you saw this:

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=1921265
bb_EcKo

Post by bb_EcKo »

mart44 wrote:
bb_EcKo wrote:well, this might have been a totally different thing in the first place for me.
e.g :

Don't know if you saw this:

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=1921265

that's the exact problem i'm having.
however typing 'bing' in the filter box show up nothing and keyword.url is at default

Post by Guest »

seems i should complain in m$ forums since it's happening in other browsers on the same pc too, but not on other pc's on the same network.
minnouu

Post by minnouu »

I have the same problem as bb_EcKo, no extensions, files, whatever, that I can find. Also, I've noticed that the url search only redirects to bing if I type one word, if I type two it will go to the right place.
emarkay

Post by emarkay »

Yes. boys and girls, another reason to consider looking into Linux... It really has caught up with, and for configurability and security, exceeded anything Microsoft has to offer.
Not a PR person or in anyway connected - other than a long time user, but check out Ubuntu (Google it) and run the live CD - you can even go online with it - that's correct the while OS is less than 600Mb!
Free yourself from your software!
Firefox 3.6x & Thunderbird 3.x - Ubuntu 10.04 LTS & Windows XP-SP3
(1) 2.8 G/2G RAM/ATI HD2600,512VRAM/SIS AC97 OB Audio (2) 2.9 G/3G RAM/NVIDIA 9500GT,1024VRAM/SB AudigySE Audio (3) 2.3 G/2G RAM/NVIDIA FX1500M,256VRAM/Sigmatel HD Audio