MozillaZine

Lorentz OOPP

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
LorenzoC

Post Posted June 22nd, 2010, 6:06 am

I have installed:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.9.2.4) Gecko/20100611 Firefox/3.6.4

In about:config I see:
dom.ipc.plugins.enabled;false
dom.ipc.plugins.enabled.npctrl.dll;true
dom.ipc.plugins.enabled.npqtplugin.dll;true
dom.ipc.plugins.enabled.npswf32.dll;true
dom.ipc.plugins.enabled.nptest.dll;true
dom.ipc.plugins.timeoutSecs;10

When I open a page with some Flash object embedded, I DO NOT SEE any separate process.
What is the problem? OOPP does not work on Windows 2000?

Bluefang

Post Posted June 22nd, 2010, 11:14 am

1. Firefox 3.6.4 has not been officially released yet.

2. The plugin process is called "plugin-container.exe". Are you sure you don't see it?
There have always been ghosts in the machine... random segments of code that have grouped together to form unexpected protocols. Unanticipated, these free radicals engender questions of free will, creativity, and even the nature of what we might call the soul...

4td8s

Post Posted June 22nd, 2010, 8:28 pm

Bluefang wrote:1. Firefox 3.6.4 has not been officially released yet.

it is now.

I'll try to test FF 3.6.4 out on my relative's Win2k SP4 computer tomorrow morning and see if plugin-container.exe will load when viewing Flash based content.

patrickjdempsey

Post Posted June 22nd, 2010, 10:22 pm

I don't think I've seen plugin-container on Win2000 machine at work, but I might have turned it off. It's certainly *possible* that OOPP does not support Win 2000.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/

T0morrow

Post Posted June 22nd, 2010, 10:32 pm

Just set
Code: Select all
to "true"

Had the same problem initally.Odd that it was disabled although it's a stable version 3.6.4

FatJohn

Post Posted June 22nd, 2010, 10:32 pm

Also, using winders 2000 is not a good idea anymore.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_20 ... ical_flaws

Post Posted June 23rd, 2010, 3:56 am

See this bug: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=563188

So basically it doesn't work, because one of the lead developers doesn't think it's important enough to use one minute to reserve a patch that always disables OOPP for Windows 2000. Even though there is no technical limitation that would prevent OOPP from working on Windows 2000.

Bluefang

Post Posted June 23rd, 2010, 4:39 am

Last year there was discussion among the developers about removing support for Win2k and WinXP SP1. So Win2k will likely be an unsupported platform before too long. It doesn't make sense to put in the effort adding features to a platform that is on the chopping block. There are more important things to be working on.
There have always been ghosts in the machine... random segments of code that have grouped together to form unexpected protocols. Unanticipated, these free radicals engender questions of free will, creativity, and even the nature of what we might call the soul...

LorenzoC

Post Posted June 23rd, 2010, 6:35 am

It depends on how much effort is needed.
If it is 10 minutes MAYBE it would be worth it, considering IF somebody is still using Windows 2000 PROBABLY it is not by choice.

PLUS, I do think this kind of things SHOULD BE included in the release notes.

Thanks anybody who provided useful feedback.

Mozilla downhill

Post Posted June 23rd, 2010, 6:53 am

And it is nice to know Mozilla takes decisions depending on MS policies and not in the interest of their user base.
Regardless how many people are using OS "x", it is dropped no for technical reasons but because MS does not provide updates or support. This will lead to people either using outdated versions of FF or using another browser.

Vectorspace

Post Posted June 23rd, 2010, 7:47 am

T0morrow wrote:Just set
to "true"

Had the same problem initally.Odd that it was disabled although it's a stable version 3.6.4

Looking at that list of preferences, I think OOPP may be restricted to a subset of plugins - those with their own prefs. I have dom.ipc.plugins.enabled set to false, and when I load a flash video I do see plugin-container.exe in task manager.
"All things being equal, the simplest answer is usually the correct one" - Occam's Razor
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:5.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/5.0
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:5.0) Gecko/20110624 Thunderbird/5.0

Post Posted June 23rd, 2010, 11:30 am

When XP loses support in 2014, if Firefox drops support for it, there is NO WAY I'll upgrade to another O/S. If Firefox drops XP support I'll switch to Opera or Chrome.

FatJohn

Post Posted June 23rd, 2010, 12:10 pm

:badgrin:

T0morrow

Post Posted June 23rd, 2010, 6:05 pm

Vectorspace wrote:
T0morrow wrote:Just set
to "true"

Looking at that list of preferences, I think OOPP may be restricted to a subset of plugins - those with their own prefs. I have dom.ipc.plugins.enabled set to false, and when I load a flash video I do see plugin-container.exe in task manager.

Yep actually it is.Flash and few others.I have also manually added some of the others i have or may have like:
dom.ipc.plugins.enabled.NPSWF32.dll
dom.ipc.plugins.enabled.np32dsw.dll
dom.ipc.plugins.enabled.npFoxitReaderPlugin.dll
dom.ipc.plugins.enabled.npdeployJava1.dll
dom.ipc.plugins.enabled.npesteid.dll
dom.ipc.plugins.enabled.npjp2.dll
dom.ipc.plugins.enabled.npnul32.dll
dom.ipc.plugins.enabled.nppdf32.dll
dom.ipc.plugins.enabled.nppl3260.dll
dom.ipc.plugins.enabled.npvlc.dll
dom.ipc.plugins.enabled.npwlpg.dll

ibewlu

Post Posted October 17th, 2012, 6:32 am

Before I make a bunch of changes to about:config, will these settings work for ver 16.0.0.1 - the most resent version? thanks...
It would be better for him if a millstone were hung around his neck, and he were thrown into the sea, than that he should offend one of these little ones.

Return to Firefox Support