FF 3.6.4 update underwhelming

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
malliz
Folder@Home

Re: FF 3.6.4 update underwhelming

Post by malliz »

KWierso wrote:
Jim Pivonka wrote:
malliz wrote:So you break security features because of lack of understanding and stubbornness.

Applications acting as servers is NOT a security feature, it is an insecurity problem, unless the function of the service is well defined and disclosed - as is the case with myNetWatchman.

I'm not satisfied with the level of disclosure or definition of the bytemobile optimization proxy's need for server authorization; I am willing to wait until I've researched it before blocking it, as it is presented as an integral part of my network access.

The same can not be said of other applications requesting authority to serve information from my computer to the internet.

So what's the difference between having firefox.exe handle plugins' network connectivity versus having plugin-container.exe handle it?

Don't confuse him with logic. It may be one step too far :wink:
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
Jim Pivonka

Post by Jim Pivonka »

KWierso wrote:So what's the difference between having firefox.exe handle plugins' network connectivity versus having plugin-container.exe handle it?

I don't know the source of the difference in the behavior of the computer; optimally it should not matter which of the two handle the plugin's network connectivity. But when plugin-container.exe is given the opportunity to do so, it causes unusual slowdowns in response of the machine to user input - keystrokes, cursor movements, etc. This has been associated with heavy processor & memory usage and apparently with an increase in the use of memory by Firefox itself.

I could speculate that when plugin-container.exe handles an error in a plugin it fails to do so efficiently and gracefully, and as a result bogs the machine down in its ungraceful failure mode, while when Firefox handles the error it does so with less impact on the responsiveness of the machine.

Net: the difference is the great contrast in the behavior of the machine which results from the choice. Plugin-container.exe is not ready for prime time.
~hammer

Post by ~hammer »

if FF crashes, i just let it, and restart. there's no need for the 'boxing of flash apps/addons my side, so i really could do without another .exe hogging my limited ressources.
and hint to getting rid of it without downgrade would be greatly appreciated.
trolly

Post by trolly »

Open about:config from the address bar, find the entries with ipc in them and set them to false.
Think for yourself. Otherwise you have to believe what other people tell you.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Constitution says: One man, one vote. Supreme court says: One dollar, one vote.
~hammer

Post by ~hammer »

did that, 3.6.8 runs by 30% smoother here now, what i'm looking for would be kind of an opt-out during updates/install, else i would have to check manually after every update, on every computer.
it does get annoying with older hardware which i start to become the singlemost caretaker around
in this town lately. some people don't buy a new PC just 'cause the one they have is 5 years old.
trolly

Post by trolly »

User changed settings are not overwritten during updates. And you can just copy a user.js file into the profile if required.
http://kb.mozillazine.org/User.js_file
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
netomax

Post by netomax »

I would like to follow you on these ideas, but my problem is a step before this all started.
When I upgrade from 3.6.3 to 3.6.4, 3.6.6 or 3.6.8 the firefox process starts, goes up to 31800 kb and stops working. I have to kill the process and reinstall 3.6.3

I have BitDefender security 2010.

I already fully uninstalled and deleted all sub-folders in AppData, and Application Dara, I have also cleaned the registry and reinstalled FF, started in Safe Mode, created a new profile without any plugins, and still everything is freezing.

This means I cannot access the about:config from 3.6.8 and I have checked in 3.6.3 none of this strings exist.

Please help me fix this problem. I am on it since a week now

Thanks
trolly

Post by trolly »

These settings do not exist in Firefox before 3.6.6 (i guess).
Remove all settings for Firefox from BitDefender and then try again. Sometimes security software screw up too.
netomax

Post by netomax »

I forgot to mention that I disconnected the firewall and the AV software, and also I delete all the firewall rules and still not working.
I really don't see what can happen

Thanks for your help
pbg1969

Post by pbg1969 »

Bluefang wrote:In about:config try setting dom.ipc.plugins.enabled to false and see if that helps with the crashing.

sorry i do not know much about computers, but i have been suddenly been getting the plug in container.exe error that you have been talking about

could you please tell me where i on my computer i need to go in order to set the dom.ipc.plugins.enabled to false

thanks

pbg
Bluefang

Post by Bluefang »

There have always been ghosts in the machine... random segments of code that have grouped together to form unexpected protocols. Unanticipated, these free radicals engender questions of free will, creativity, and even the nature of what we might call the soul...
pbg1969

Post by pbg1969 »

trolly wrote:Open about:config from the address bar, find the entries with ipc in them and set them to false.

all of them?

right now only

dom.ipc.plugins.enabled is set to false

all the rest...

dom.ipc.plugins.enabled.npctrl.dll

dom.ipc.plugins.enabled.npqtplugin.dll

dom.ipc.plugins.enabled.npswf32.dll and

dom.ipc.plugins.enabled.nptest.dll

are set to true

except

dom.ipc.plugins.timeoutSecs which is set to 45

thanks
netomax

Post by netomax »

My 3.6.8 stay stuck in the task manager and I cannot get it to load fully.

I have already described the whole processes I have followed since a week from now.

I really would appreciate some help

Thanks
Alice

Post by Alice »

pbg1969 wrote:
trolly wrote:Open about:config from the address bar, find the entries with ipc in them and set them to false.

all of them?

All of them! The ones that are now set to "true" should be set to "false", like this:

Ref:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Plugin-container_and_out-of-process_plugins
Alice Wyman

Post by Guest »

netomax: If checking your firewall does not fix the problem, start a new un-cluttered thread describing your problem.
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firewalls