plugin-container.exe

User Help for Mozilla Firefox

Re: plugin-container.exe

Post by Guest »

This update has made firefox unbearably slow.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Have you tried any of the suggestions listed?
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
Dr Mike

Post by Dr Mike »

July 8, 2 weeks later....
Hard to find any more info on when the damage will stop with plugin-container than when that *other* big disaster (in the Gulf) will be fixed!

I began having occasional crashes with 3.6.4, but for the past few days (post 3.6.6) I am getting at least one, sometimes 2 crashes per day. No notice, I turn around and see the Mozilla crash notifier. Sure enough, noticed this nasty-looking plugin-container in working processes (even after FF is crashed and burned) and in general browsing has become a challenge, not a seamless and reliable means of viewing web pages, with or without Flash. (I don't play Flash games but use the BarTab app and leave several tabs open, some with FB or [stopped] YouTube pages.)

"Wait til 3.6.6" doesn't do it for me, any more than uncapping the oil spill helped get that under control.

Like others, I am reluctantly forced now to think about alternative browser(s)... Tabbed IE is ok, but slow. Chrome seems too much a hog for my not-new (but til now happy) computer. Maybe Opera?

Then again, it would be a wonderful thing if Mozilla actually "unfixed" what wasn't broken, or comes up with something which *works*!! Reliably. This is the first time FF has been so bad for me (and others), and that's a shame if they drive people away or send them off to the sandbox, never to come back with a solution. ;-)
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Did you try any of the suggestions listed?

Also, this is a user to user forum that isn't part of Mozilla.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
1uhcbj

Post by 1uhcbj »

Thanks for the speed. I "get" the forum, which actually has more useful info than Mozilla itself (though I'm scratching my head on seeing the url, and concluding Mozillazine is more IND).

Tried all which applied. Not looking for a total online lifestyle change, though. All was fine, and still is on my laptop, which I just checked: FF3.6.3. [The problem is with 3.6.6 ! ]

I actually have hardly ever (since the beginning of FF) had a complete browser crash &/nor appearance of a Bugzilla crash notification. Servers and codes change, but my use of the web browser has not, other than embracing the multiple-tab display so I have many sites not hogging memory simultaneously, and whatever I may need during the course of work/play "at my fingertips".

So, I guess (as a social scientist) I conclude that the general sense of web users (from the skewed sample I've read on the forums) is that FF/Mozilla are working towards a wonderful 4.0 but have little to suggest or acknowledge in terms of the very-prevalent problems with the "improved" plugin-container scheme. So bad, it seems very big longtime fans of FF (which includes me) are despairing of any true "fix" or workaround.

There's one "fix" I've not tried, but will (re-setting config). Other than that the various work-arounds seem daunting or indirectly getting at the root cause. Conclusion: It just plain is not "user friendly" and the prevalence of problems is agitating the fan club itself (like me), whose only reason for hope and patience is that the other browsers are (maybe) much worse!

Thanks. A useful forum, and I was able to google my way to this issue being discussed in real-time, so I'm grateful it exists. But still a bit steamed at FF for "fixing" something so well it's now broken. ;-)
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

For most people it works fine. I, for example, haven't had a problem. If you are searching for help with your problem you are naturally going to run into a lot of other people with the same bitch. Once 4.0 is released it will also be called the worst Firefox ever.
Post wrangler
Dr. Mike

Post by Dr. Mike »

LOL... I'm sure you're right about the imminent raves and razzes!
And I'll use your fork now, to eat my words (that no easy solution was in sight)...

I just changed that one filter and suddenly the various tabs (including FB and its various scripts) are all quite speedy, with no apparent down to turning off the flash outsourcing-to-container. I just did a quick test, some flash-based chat and display pages - all good. (Maybe even better-than-new?!) If I'm not back.... you'll know the 1-2 crashes a day have stopped. Curious what will happen to plugins-container.exe working as a process now, but so far so good.

Thanks!

Post by Guest »

i get more crashes now that i have 3.6.6 and plug-in container is always part of it. i know the container is supposed to crash without bringing down firefox but in my case that isn't happening. the whole damm lot keeps coming down
Andrewturbo

Post by Andrewturbo »

I agree that something is wrong with plugin container. !EVERY TIME! it loads, my internet connection gets knocked off line until I end the process. I don't appear to have any bad plug-ins either. What gives?
mfvoep

Post by mfvoep »

If you have lag with plugin-container, Firefox has only had a few weeks of testing of released versions with the plugin-container and it may need some optimizing. Future versions may be better.
But if you have crashes, it is almost certainly because you have a third-party firewall. If, like most users you have a hardware firewall or NAT built into your router, temporarily uninstall your software firewall and see if the problems go away. Or see here: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firewalls
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

It might also be an extension. Try safe mode. http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
Post wrangler

Post by Guest »

mfvoep wrote:But if you have crashes, it is almost certainly because you have a third-party firewall.

Please don't give out wrong information on this Support forum.

If someone has plugin internet connection problems, then it will be 'almost certainly' the third party firewall not allowing access to plugin-container.exe. The firewall can not crash Firefox!

Crashes of plugins will be related to Firefox extensions or the plugins themselves, especially the new version of Flash that came out- at-the-same-time-as-Firefox's-plugin-container-exe.

Post by Guest »

i don't exactly know the advantages of this container but at least for flash it's killing me, good to know i can turn it off

i have two pcs, one of them is very old so memory is not exactly something i can take lightly with it, that said i always watched regular flash videos (from youtube and whatnot) without problems, with this new container they become unbearable when they are loading (stuttering), which means every time i wanted to watch a movie i had to let it download till the end and only then hit play

eventually i searched for a solution and came here, disabled the container and now everything is back to normal... i'm not gonna say this container sucks but my pc manages the memory A LOT better with firefox instead of multiple applications

at least for these flash movies...
realityOfMYSituation

Post by realityOfMYSituation »

I usually have more than one window open , all with multiple tabs. ( of course , practically every tab has flash somewhere in the page )

Before plugin-container.exe
My browser crashed about once or twice a month.
I never really noticed the crashes. Took up about 0.00001% of my time using FF. ( also the tabs/windows opened again on restart) ( if FF hanged , I used TASK MANAGER to end process )

After plugin-container.exe
My browser crashes about once or twice a day. plugin-container ""crashes"" ( well all the flash objects) maybe 5-10 per day.
OK ...granted..... I don't have to restart FF USUALLY , sometimes I do( makes plugin-container.exe useless).
BUT the number of FF crashes has went through the roof. FF still hangs/freezes occasionally when I load a new page.

Am I just unaware of how many times my flash objects where crashing before plugin-container.exe ?

Does this AUTOMATED crash/freeze protection , do a better job , that let's say a possible "" panic button app.exe "" ( eg.. an app that ends the ff process minus -last opened page ?

Before I blamed the , BAD WEB PAGE that ,I just started to load.
NOW I blame FF plugin-container.exe

Post by Guest »

realityOfMYSituation wrote:Before I blamed the , BAD WEB PAGE that ,I just started to load.
NOW I blame FF plugin-container.exe

Why not just disable it NOW and move on with your life? -

viewtopic.php?p=9531425#p9531425