plugin-container.exe

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Jc18

Re: plugin-container.exe

Post by Jc18 »

i didnt get any crash with ff 3.6.4, but flash videos/games started to lag, now that i updated to ff 3.6.6 it is a little bit better but still lag :(
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

I don't use Flash much so there might be an easier way to do this. You likely need to turn off hardware acceleration with Flash. Again, there might be a faster way to do this.
1) Start a flash movie
2) Right click on the video
3) Click on the tab that shows the monitor with the eye in it.
4) Uncheck Hardware acceleration
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."

Post by Guest »

after reading roughly through this discussion, I've just updated to ff 3.6.6 from 3.6.4 but my flash videos/games still lag badly.
i believe that the memory is not a big issue since the plugin-container.exe only taking around 80K ~ 90K when i viewed in the task manager. the problem is the CPU % - up until 70 - when i switch back to the tab where my flash videos/games are.

question is if i follow the LoudNoise's advice tweaking the About:config , will there be any downside doing it?
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Did you try the suggestion right above your post?
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."

Post by Guest »

thanks! it's working for me.
Guest222

Post by Guest222 »

Ever since I updated (never never never update) my flash applications are lag-lag-lagging.

The plugin-container is using 72,000Kb memory and 18% cpu resources just posting this.

I'm disabling it on the task manager but I wish there was a more permanent method...
Bluefang

Post by Bluefang »

Did you try LoudNoise's suggestion a couple posts up?
There have always been ghosts in the machine... random segments of code that have grouped together to form unexpected protocols. Unanticipated, these free radicals engender questions of free will, creativity, and even the nature of what we might call the soul...
roryh

Post by roryh »

So I noticed that after I updated to 3.6.6 my Firefox crashes now and my plug ins decide to stop working too.

Now a few times I have received a message saying "Plug-In Contained has stopped working" and the whole of Firefox crashses.
I also noticed that on my Process Bar on my Windows Task Manafer, one of the processes is the Plug In Container which I never noticed before.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Kill off the Plug-ins container process and firefox will continue working after a crash.
Post wrangler
avoidz

Post by avoidz »

Thanks, LoudNoise. I used your about:config configuration since I've not had problems with Flash or other plugins, and don't see the need for the plugin-container process to be running in my situation.
LAPTOP: XPS17 Intel i7-2630QM, 8GB RAM, GeForce GT 555M, Windows 7 64bit
ooEagleOneoo

Post by ooEagleOneoo »

Here is a Fix l tried and it worked.

For ppl like me with only single cpu all facebook games and flash games period un playable now jurky and slow as hell the plugin is using more than FF without plugin was using when in a flash base game pc unworkable this suks.

but l tried this solution you can turn it off by typing About:config in the address bar, filter for dom.ipc.plugins.enabled.npswf32.dll and change that to false. Flash will run in the program proper. and it seems playable now.

Thanks to LoudNoise for the fix :D :mrgreen:

Post by Guest »

Memory usage in Firefox is the same with plugin-container.exe; and, yes, response time is miserable. Since all plug-ins run within this container, there must be threads within the process. The ideal would be to separate each plug-in into its own process space. I must check how Linux/sMac OS X versions are handling this before judging FF as "evil" design because it could be the OS layer and implementation of threaded apps holding back performance.

Also, multi-player games in Flash--Windows goes into hyper-swap mode ("thrashing") as it attempts loading graphics, code and data. Three or more tabs of Flash games overwhelms 1GB of RAM and T1 Internet. :idea:
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Did you try this?

LoudNoise wrote:I don't use Flash much so there might be an easier way to do this. You likely need to turn off hardware acceleration with Flash. Again, there might be a faster way to do this.
1) Start a flash movie
2) Right click on the video
3) Click on the tab that shows the monitor with the eye in it.
4) Uncheck Hardware acceleration
Post wrangler
john9999

Post by john9999 »

gone back to IE till it gets fixed
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

You can set the prefs dom.ipc.plugins.enabled.* to false on the about:config page to disable the plugin-container process.
dom.ipc.plugins.enabled (currently false by default)
dom.ipc.plugins.enabled.npswf32.dll (Flash)
dom.ipc.plugins.enabled.npctrl.dll (Silverlight)
dom.ipc.plugins.enabled.npqtplugin.dll (QuickTime)