LoudNoise

Re: How to disable plugin-container.exe

Post by LoudNoise »

Hate to say this but Chrome does the same thing. However,
In the address bar, type about:config
Filter for dom.ipc.plugins.enabled.npswf32.dll
Set it to false and Flash will not use plugin-container
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
Bluefang

Post by Bluefang »

I don't want an executable that runs whenever you visit a site with flash and demands internet access on my computer.

So instead you want the executable to be run as part of Firefox and automatically get permission anyways..... right, makes a whole lot of sense.

For the record, it is the plugin, not the plugin-container.exe, that is trying to connect to the internet.

... but am going to check out Chrome.

Chrome was the first browser to do out-of-process plugins. It also does out-of-process tabs as well.

In fact, Firefox is using some of Chromes code in their own implementation.
There have always been ghosts in the machine... random segments of code that have grouped together to form unexpected protocols. Unanticipated, these free radicals engender questions of free will, creativity, and even the nature of what we might call the soul...
Hiper

Post by Hiper »

I don't like it, Chrome remember me windows product so invasive, so much integrations, so much crap, I like firefox for the same so transparent, easy and configurable but now start with strange hacks... maybe the plugin converter need in the future run as a service or another unnecessary things to resolve problems on dummy users PC.

I hate when some program change my configuration without advice...

Firefox 3.5 for my is ok!
Hiper

Post by Hiper »

Ok I found how to disable in other forum

disabled the plug-in-container exe in Firefox,and removed its entries from Sandboxie start/run and access internet permissions.

All of the media I have tried,so far,plays well with no error messages.

I really never had a problem with player crashes cascading to crash the browser anyway,and as near as I can tell,plug-in container exe served
no security function,so no loss.

work for me!!
Bluefang

Post by Bluefang »

We've told you how to disable it in this very topic. It's not difficult, but it also doesn't give you any advantage.
There have always been ghosts in the machine... random segments of code that have grouped together to form unexpected protocols. Unanticipated, these free radicals engender questions of free will, creativity, and even the nature of what we might call the soul...
ccrashh

Post by ccrashh »

Bluefang wrote:We've told you how to disable it in this very topic. It's not difficult, but it also doesn't give you any advantage.

Sure it gives us an advantage when we disable the plugin-container using About:Config - see, it stops slow downs and total freezes in FF. At least, those were the symptoms I was seeing with it turned on. Now that I have it turned off, no issues - smooth sailing.
Alice

Post by Alice »

Frank Lion wrote: To disable, see here - viewtopic.php?p=9530495#p9530495

Frank, that post says,
search for ipc in the seachbox at the top of the about:config page.
Right click those top 5 entries and toggle them to the opposite of what they are now

To disable plugin-container.exe for all plugins, all 5 dom.ipc.plugins.enabled.* preferences must be set to "false" in about:config ... like this: (Firefox 3.6.6)

The first dom.ipc.plugins.enabled preference is already set to "false", by default. You don't want to set it to "true" since that would enable plugin-container for all other plugins! More information here:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Plugin-container_and_out-of-process_plugins
Alice Wyman
underscoreTom

Post by underscoreTom »

BERToo1 wrote:I don't want an executable that runs whenever you visit a site with flash and demands internet access on my computer. I went back to version 3.6.3 for the short term, but am going to check out Chrome.

REPEAT: I don't want an EXECUTABLE that runs whenever you visit a site with flash and DEMANDS INTERNET ACCESS on my computer.

I DON'T KNOW WHAT IT'S DOING OR WHAT INFORMATION IT'S SENDING.... OR WHAT IT WILL BE USED FOR IN THE FUTURE....

What's the difference between a separate process doing it and how it worked in previous versions of Firefox? It still does the same things.
avoidz

Post by avoidz »

Hiper wrote:I really never had a problem with player crashes cascading to crash the browser anyway...

Same. I always got the impression it was more to do with certain add-ons, too many add-ons or a combination of some add-ons that caused FF instability.

At least if it's bothersome, it can be disabled.
LAPTOP: XPS17 Intel i7-2630QM, 8GB RAM, GeForce GT 555M, Windows 7 64bit
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Alice wrote:
Frank Lion wrote: To disable, see here - viewtopic.php?p=9530495#p9530495

Frank, that post says,
search for ipc in the seachbox at the top of the about:config page.
Right click those top 5 entries and toggle them to the opposite of what they are now

To disable plugin-container.exe for all plugins, all 5 dom.ipc.plugins.enabled.* preferences must be set to "false" in about:config ... like this: (Firefox 3.6.6)

The first dom.ipc.plugins.enabled preference is already set to "false", by default. You don't want to set it to "true" since that would enable plugin-container for all other plugins! More information here:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Plugin-container_and_out-of-process_plugins

Alice, the complaint is about flash. There is no reason to burn the barn when shooting the rooster appears to solve the problem.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."

Post by Guest »

For me, crashes in past versions were almost always from Flash (or Adobe Reader when I used to use the reader plugin) - but I don't use hardly any addons other than Adblock Plus.
Alice

Post by Alice »

LoudNoise wrote:Alice, the complaint is about flash. There is no reason to burn the barn when shooting the rooster appears to solve the problem.

LoudNoise,
Sorry, the original question was how to disable plugin-container.exe. It didn't specify Flash.
Guest wrote:The new plugin-container.exe is a resource hog like I knew it would be. Is there a setting in about:config to disable it and make everything run in one process again?

I case anyone just wants to disable plugin-container.exe for Flash, all you have to do is toggle the single preference, dom.ipc.plugins.enabled.npswf32.dll to "false". However, Microsoft Silverlight and Apple Quicktime plugins (if installed) will still run in a separate plugin-container.exe process, if you encounter a site that uses those plugins.
For more information see http://kb.mozillazine.org/Plugin-container_and_out-of-process_plugins
Alice Wyman
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Sorry, you are right about this thread. However, the one you pointed to was about flash. Hence my confusion.
Post wrangler
satyr

Post by satyr »

foxfrog wrote:External executables to solve internal problems are always crap. This is bad programming. Please abandon this idea in the next release. It sucks.

And on what exactly do you base this statement?!

/EDIT: Actually, if you read what says on this support page you'll see that it provides much benefit (i.e. it isolates plugins from the main browser's process, so that if one of the plugins crashes the whole browser does not).

Cheers, satyr
Last edited by satyr on July 10th, 2010, 7:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If you want to, please check out my site: tadej-ivan.50webs.com, and enjoy reading my computing-related discoveries, hints, principles, and rules.
satyr

Post by satyr »

BERToo1 wrote:I don't want an executable that runs whenever you visit a site with flash and demands internet access on my computer. I went back to version 3.6.3 for the short term, but am going to check out Chrome.

REPEAT: I don't want an EXECUTABLE that runs whenever you visit a site with flash and DEMANDS INTERNET ACCESS on my computer.

I DON'T KNOW WHAT IT'S DOING OR WHAT INFORMATION IT'S SENDING.... OR WHAT IT WILL BE USED FOR IN THE FUTURE....

Please, tell me that you're joking! I mean, you say that you don't want an executable that runs whenever you visit a site with flash and demands internet access, right?

And what are all the programs that use use when you browse the web (e.g. e-mail client, browsers, instant messaging programs etc., not to mention MS Windows programs) other than EXECUTABLES DEMANDING INTERNET ACCESS? Ahh OK, the point is in "whenever you visit a site with flash", right? But what about Chrome's (and IE8's if I am not mistaken) handling of tabs (i.e. each tab a new process/job)? What do you say about that?

Uhhhhh, seriously dude, rather learn a bit more about computers (i.e. how things work on a process/executable lever), and then use ALL CAPS to yell at members here on this forum!

satyr
Last edited by satyr on July 12th, 2010, 1:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
If you want to, please check out my site: tadej-ivan.50webs.com, and enjoy reading my computing-related discoveries, hints, principles, and rules.