How to disable plugin-container.exe

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
doftl

Re: How to disable plugin-container.exe

Post by doftl »

If the plugin-container was making flash slower, that might be normal. If it was making the whole computer not work, even when Firefox was closed, about the only way to explain that is that you had a firewall. If you have a firewall and don't know how to control it, you'll be lucky if any browsers work. Most users should have a firewall built into their router and not use software firewalls, because most users are not capable of configuring their firewall or can't answer questions asked by the firewall correctly.
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

lamenerds Man, the arrogance of some of the know-it-alls on here is breathtaking. Here's what I know: before disabling this my computer did not work. I was pricing a new computer. Since disabling it: computer works as well as it used to. From completely unusable even when firefox was closed to perfectly fine. Clearly, I'm no computer nerd. However, this IS my experience and obviously many others are experiencing the same thing. Frankly, this issue combinmed with the over the top d!ick headedness of some of the 'respected' posters on this board have me shopping for a new browser.

So reading this thread has fixed your problem... You're welcome! And you are right, the name calling and arrogance really is childish! It's also good to know that you admit you don't know much about computers but you have successfully diagnosed this very complicated issue. I think ignoring any other possible causes and just hanging a sign on the door that says "Out of Order" is a good way to fix things. I fixed my bathroom toilet once by doing that, I use the one upstairs now, no more problems! You are also so right that it is arrogant for people who read about, test, and help people solve problems in Firefox every single day to assume they know more about it than people who do not, or get frustrated with people who refuse to follow directions, I mean, what kind of lame nerds follow directions?
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/

Post by Guest »

lamenerds wrote:Man, the arrogance of some of the know-it-alls on here is breathtaking.

I guess if someone has as big an inferiority complex as you have, then somebody even saying 'hello' to you is going to be misinterpreted as breathtakingly arrogant. Normally, we also get 'patronizing', 'supercilious' and 'sanctimonious', but they spell them all wrong, which is pretty funny.

I often feel people would be much happier if they had to pay for Firefox, like they would a pair of trousers. Something wrong with them and people know what to do - shout and scream usually and demand their money back. It is a system that people understand.

But this free stuff is a problem, eh? Many people have difficulty just asking for help when things go wrong and just relying on people's good nature to help them. It is because they have no leverage and feel powerless, as you do. So, they resent the help they get and all too often, as you did, try to put a little leverage in there, by saying that they will use another browser if they are not helped/fawned over. Can you imagine just how much other users of Winamp would care if some guy stamped his feet and said he was going to user Windows Media Player? Exactly the same with Firefox users here, they couldn't give a ****.

lamenerds wrote:Here's what I know: before disabling this my computer did not work

Wasn't it one of those arrogant regulars here that suggested how you disable it, in the second post on this thread?

You have much growing up to do, I'm thinking.
satyr

Post by satyr »

st4rdog wrote:Adding my support to get rid of this.

I just updated to a version of FF that includes this. It takes up a ton of memory, and I don't like seeing it in my processes list.

It takes the same amount of memory as before "firefox.exe" process was using (which now of course uses that much less) for these plugins. /EDIT: OK, or a little bit more, but is that even important if you have plently (or better yet, enough) of RAM installed?

Secondly, why exactly you "don't like seeing it in your processes list"? Any particular/rational reason?!
If you want to, please check out my site: tadej-ivan.50webs.com, and enjoy reading my computing-related discoveries, hints, principles, and rules.
satyr

Post by satyr »

lamenerds wrote:Since disabling it: computer works as well as it used to. From completely unusable even when firefox was closed to perfectly fine.

I have a very old and low-spec computer (i.e. 1.6 GHz AMD Athlon XP2000+ processor from 2001 or 2002, actually running on just 1.3 GHz because of overheating, and only 768 MBs of RAM) and I have no problem whatsoever!

Secondly, how is it possible that you think that Firefox has something to do with your problems if as you said yourself: "even when firefox was closed"? You know, "plugin-container.exe" is also closed when you exit Firefox!

doftl wrote:If the plugin-container was making flash slower, that might be normal. If it was making the whole computer not work, even when Firefox was closed, about the only way to explain that is that you had a firewall.
Most users should have a firewall built into their router and not use software firewalls, because most users are not capable of configuring their firewall or can't answer questions asked by the firewall correctly.

Great and very meaningful/well-thought post!

Best regards to all, satyr
If you want to, please check out my site: tadej-ivan.50webs.com, and enjoy reading my computing-related discoveries, hints, principles, and rules.
Beowolf

Post by Beowolf »

All I know is this: Before, while watching videos on blip, loading the videos would make my computer unusable, and watching the video would crash my crappy computer.

Since disabling the stupid thing my computer runs fine (I call 'Not stalling my friggen computer' fine.) and I can load videos.

Now, I keep seeing people bashing others down for saying almost the exact same thing. If YOU are not having these problems, kindly shut up. You have no experience here, and your 'help'( besides the kind mod who told us how to turn it off), isn't helping.

Also, the person who said that flash wouldn't run if this was off....HA...you best be trollin'.

Post by Guest »

What was probably said is that if your firewall blocks plugin-container.exe, most flash won't work. Disabling the plugin-container - if it works for you, do it.

I don't think anyone is bashing anyone for disabling it, what is scorned is people saying "the developers should have never tried to make the browser more reliable, I wasn't having problems." Statistics prove that most crashes used to be from plugins. One of the number one advantages Chrome used to have over Firefox was that it contains Flash crashes. If in the future it proves to be impossible to make Flash fast on old hardware while running in the plugin-container , it may be worth making the interface more complicated and adding an on off switch for OOPP. Or, Adobe may be able to help out and make their software run better in the container.
Flash running under Chrome (for me) is much slower than in Firefox, and is still slower than Firefox even when Firefox uses the plugin-container.
Jmcguireiii

Post by Jmcguireiii »

What a pain. I had to disable

Post by Guest »

Hey, why don't we just dump this plugin thing? I for one wish I could do it...
I can't really stop using Flash, so many sites now use it wholly or partially.
But for PDF I stopped using plugins a while ago, had the browser plainly start the reader whenever it needs to, and never ever regretted it :D
Also, when I'm done reading I close the reader and that process is done with, which is something this plugin-container idea still fails to deliver. No?
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

So turn it off. We are not Mozilla, we are a user to user forum.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Beowolf wrote:Now, I keep seeing people bashing others down for saying almost the exact same thing. If YOU are not having these problems, kindly shut up. You have no experience here, and your 'help'( besides the kind mod who told us how to turn it off), isn't helping.

Hiding the problem does not fix it. The problem is still there, whatever it is. Since apparently *almost everyone* who is having this and similar problems have taken the attitude that the symptoms of problems *are* the problems, and decided that disabling this feature is easier than finding the source(s) of their problem, and that insulting the people who want to actually find the cause(s) makes them feel better, we may never actually know the true source(s) of these problems. THAT isn't helping anyone.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
Beowolf

Post by Beowolf »

patrickjdempsey wrote:
Beowolf wrote:Now, I keep seeing people bashing others down for saying almost the exact same thing. If YOU are not having these problems, kindly shut up. You have no experience here, and your 'help'( besides the kind mod who told us how to turn it off), isn't helping.

Hiding the problem does not fix it. The problem is still there, whatever it is. Since apparently *almost everyone* who is having this and similar problems have taken the attitude that the symptoms of problems *are* the problems, and decided that disabling this feature is easier than finding the source(s) of their problem, and that insulting the people who want to actually find the cause(s) makes them feel better, we may never actually know the true source(s) of these problems. THAT isn't helping anyone.

The problem is GONE when disabled. It doesn't hide anything, the program was the problem. Since disabling, my computer can run flash and not crash, so where in the world are you getting the idea that the problem is STILL THERE?

You make me ashamed to live in NC. 1 hour away no less.
Bluefang

Post by Bluefang »

Yes, it's gone when you disable it, but that does not mean that it is the source of the problem.

Since it seems to be working fine for the majority of other people (or they're just not complaining about it), that seems to suggest there is something else that is actually causing the problems for you.
There have always been ghosts in the machine... random segments of code that have grouped together to form unexpected protocols. Unanticipated, these free radicals engender questions of free will, creativity, and even the nature of what we might call the soul...
Gingerbread Man

Post by Gingerbread Man »

I don't see the point in arguing. Some people simply have no interest in submitting crash reports or troubleshooting. I am sure that even posting here (or on support.mozilla.com) is a rarity. A common reaction I often see is to reflexively downgrade to a previous version of Firefox. And that's probably a better-case scenario -- some are more likely to switch browsers altogether.

I think this thread boils down to this:
  • If you'd like to disable plugin-container, read the instructions.
  • If disabling plugin-container solves the problem, you have the option of asking someone here to help troubleshoot the issue. Doing so may reveal a bug in Firefox, which could then be reported on Bugzilla and potentially fixed in a future release.
  • If Firefox crashes, please be sure to submit a crash report so Mozilla can have a look at the problem.
  • If you'd like to send general feedback to Mozilla, go to feedback.mozilla.com.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

And with that complete round up I am locking the thread. If you have a problem please start a new thread listing what you tried.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."