MozillaZine

same firefox version, different results??? (Mac)

Discuss how to use and promote Web standards with the Mozilla Gecko engine.
patrick99e99

Post Posted August 10th, 2010, 3:38 pm

Howdy everyone,

I just came across a situation that really baffled me, and am wondering if this makes sense to anyone?

So... I am a web developer, and a recent application I've been working on, I tested and worked great... On one particular section, I uploaded an mp3, and woo hoo.. It was successful... I'm using 3.6.8, on Mac OS X 10.6.4 btw...

My client then goes to try it out, and uploads an mp3.. and.. failure... Well, failure in the sense that it doesn't pass mime-type validation. He's using 3.6.8 also, except he's on OS X 10.5.8...

I look and when I upload an mp3, it shows up as 'audio/mpeg'

My client uploads the exact same mp3, it shows up as 'audio/x-mpeg' ...

So, the solution was to allow x-mpeg, but I was so confused as to why they would be different.

--------

Ok, so then the next thing I discover.. I have a page with a select field, and there's a javascript observer on it, waiting for it to fire a 'change' event... Works perfectly for me...

Fails for him. With firebug, it doesn't even report an error, it just simply doesn't work. It appears all the javascript was failing on that page in fact.......

So, I do some poking around and I am utilizing a script that uses the prototype.js library, called 'TabEvent.js'.. It basically allows you to hook into textareas and when you press tab, it inserts 4 spaces... So, when I disable TabEvent, the select observer works on his system. On mine though, it works regardless.....

So, I was just sitting here going, can it really just be 10.5 vs. 10.6?!??! How can that be???????

Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks.

-patrick

DanRaisch

Post Posted August 10th, 2010, 4:52 pm

Moving to Web Development.

jscher2000

Post Posted August 11th, 2010, 12:46 pm

patrick99e99 wrote:So, I was just sitting here going, can it really just be 10.5 vs. 10.6?!??!

To compare apples to apples (at least with respect to Firefox), you would need to both test with a default profile. You can create a new blank profile per the directions in this article: Managing profiles.

Frenzie

Post Posted August 11th, 2010, 1:28 pm

So, I was just sitting here going, can it really just be 10.5 vs. 10.6?!??! How can that be???????
If the mimetype is taken from the OS I suppose that could be a possibility. But as has been said, you would need to test with a clean profile.
Intelligent alien life does exist, otherwise they would have contacted us.

AlfonsoML

Post Posted August 11th, 2010, 2:45 pm

Using mime types to validate uploads is not a good idea. Each system might have a different configuration, so it's better to just check the extension and let the server set the proper mime type.

Return to Web Development / Standards Evangelism