Firefox hangs while opening Tools -> Options menu

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
GTryder

Re: Firefox hangs while opening Tools -> Options menu

Post by GTryder »

FWIW: I have noticed that enabling certain elements of Spybot S&D's browser "Immunize" feature, for Firefox, can result in extreme lags in accessing Options menu.
[Edit] Clarity of terms.

Also have noticed that 'download folder items' residing in Spybot's Download "Directories" (feature under "Settings") tend to react slowly.
[It appears to function perhaps somewhat like a sandbox.]
I cannot recall the experience of any download refusal, to my download folder; though, this too may bear looking into, if you have Spybot installed.
Ab subabsurda numquid ad veritas. "From the somewhat absurd possibility to reality."
alexpro

Post by alexpro »

GTryder: My Firefox is clean like a new born baby. That means it has no add-ons, no themes, no plugins installed. So, any add-on related bug is not the problem here. And I do not have Spybot on my computer.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Nowadays there is a lot of software that installs extensions globally by default, so a clean install or a new profile doesn't necessarily mean that there are no extensions installed. Most plugins are found via a registry scan and installed (enabled) automatically. So you need to check and disable all add-ons in Tools > Add-ons > Extensions and Tools > Add-ons > Plugins to be sure of that.
GTryder

Post by GTryder »

alexpro wrote:GTryder: My Firefox is clean like a new born baby. That means it has no add-ons, no themes, no plugins installed. So, any add-on related bug is not the problem here. And I do not have Spybot on my computer.

While I'm happy to know that your Firefox is squeaky clean, I find absolutely no reference in my previous posting, whatsoever, to anything "add-on related".
It was, and is, a simple FWIW; in relating my experience with the well known/used Spybot S&D program, and the resultant correlation with your problem.
Ab subabsurda numquid ad veritas. "From the somewhat absurd possibility to reality."
alexpro

Post by alexpro »

dickvl: Yep, that's the spot where I checked that no add-on messes with my bug.
mtPockets

Post by mtPockets »

dickvl wrote:Try to delete prefs.js and downloads.sqlite and other downloads.* files if they exist in the http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Firefox Firefox Profile Folder

Deleting those files worked for me. FireFox 3.6.10
Thanks
mtPockets

Post by mtPockets »

I need to recant. FireFox still hangs when I click any downloads. However i can now open the blank download list. FWIW
Bertrandes

Post by Bertrandes »

I have the exact same problem as alexpro and trenisih, it has been present for about 3 months but I have only just gotten around to trying to fix it. I was running Firefox 3.6.2 at the time it happened. I noticed that downloading any file (or selecting a link which initiates a download) hangs Firefox. I also can't select tools\options - immediate hang.

I don't often make changes to this system, and I don't recall installing anything new and definitely did not change any drivers etc at the time this problem occurred. BTW it's a tower case PC running WinXP SP3, with an ABIT SG-71 motherboard about 6 years old (2.6GHz Celeron, 2 Gigs RAM, audio / video etc all on the motherboard). A very simple "office" system.

I tried overinstalling the same version of Firefox, with no change. Thinking that something in Windows might have become corrupted, I performed a Windows Repair (boot from install disc, go through to the install screen where it detects a previous version of XP, select Repair) - no change. I then Googled around, got the standard advice to delete prefs etc - no change. Uninstalled Firefox, deleted _everything_ manually - registry keys, program files, profile folders; installed v3.6.6 - no change.

As for alexpro, I can't download anything or even select tools\options - this leads to an immediate hang and I have to use Task Manager to exit Firefox. I think that alexpro is correct in concluding that Firefox has changed something in XP that is now preventing it from running correctly. Would be grateful for any advice as it seems the only cure will be a hard disk format / XP reinstall and I would rather avoid that as I have quite a few applications installed.
GTryder

Post by GTryder »

What you relate could be caused by malware:
Daifne wrote:Install and run these free programs.
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
SuperAntispyware
AdAware
Spybot Search & Destroy

If these don't find it or can't clear it, post in one of these forums for specialized malware removal help:
http://www.spywarewarrior.com/index.php
http://forum.aumha.org/
http://www.spywareinfoforum.com/
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum79.html
bernardw

Post by bernardw »

hi,
As Alexpro, I have the same problem came after FF update one month ago.
Today I have updated to:Firefox/3.6.10 and the problem is always the same!
I am using windows XP sp2 and have try every things I know (and more) to try to solve but without positive result.

Post by Guest »

bernardw wrote:hi,
As Alexpro, I have the same problem came after FF update one month ago.
Today I have updated to:Firefox/3.6.10 and the problem is always the same!
I am using windows XP sp2 and have try every things I know (and more) to try to solve but without positive result.

Same problem with windows XP SP3...

Post by Guest »

If you are having problems after making a new profile in Firefox, please post what your antivirus and firewall are and confirm that you do not use any cleaner / immunize program like ccleaner or spybot. Also scan for viruses and malware as above.
bernardw

Post by bernardw »

Hi,
Firewall is Sunbelt and Avast as antivirus.

Problem is same with new profile.
And same with or without CCleaner and Adblock.
After scan as above no virus foud.
bernardw

Post by bernardw »

Hi,
Just an UP to expect any news.
droace

Post by droace »

Since a new profile does not work and no virus was found, the next things I would try are:
make sure there are NOT any ask toolbar, google toolbar, bing toolbar, etc in add/remove programs - if they are, uninstall them
in tools -> addons (not tools -> options) disable all plugins except for flash and disable all extensions you did not choose to install (java, .net, real, etc.)
uninstall entirely your firewall and try again
and/or disable any "web shield" component of your antivirus or switch antivirus programs (Microsoft Security Essentials seems to be trouble free) and try again
and/or uninstall firefox and delete the program files \ mozilla firefox directory and reinstall (do NOT choose the "delete data" option when uninstalling without having a backup of your profile or bookmarks)

If you don't want to do the above another possibility is to try the Firefox 4 beta instead, it has many things fixed.