What are "System proxy settings?"

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
allizomeniz

What are "System proxy settings?"

Post by allizomeniz »

I have FF 3.6.8. In Options>Advanced>Network>Connection>Settings, where it says "Use system proxy settings," what settings is it referring to and how do find them in Vista? Appreciate it! :)
makaiguy

Re: What are "System proxy settings?"

Post by makaiguy »

A proxy server is basically another computer you go through to make your connections to the internet. Many corporate users are required to go through their corporate proxy server. If you ARE going through a proxy, you need to get the proxy parameters from your IT department. Here's a Wikipedia article on the subject: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proxy_server

This could also be a program on your own computer that you've set up to act as a proxy between you and the internet. In such cases, your Firefox connects to the proxy and the proxy connects to the internet. Any such program should come with detailed instructions regarding any needed proxy settings.

For most of us, there are no proxy settings used so you don't have to worry about it.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 115.0.02 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 115.2.0/115.0.1 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
allizomeniz

Post by allizomeniz »

Thanks makaiguy.

I have a web accelerator. Before I installed it my FF proxy setting was set to "No proxy." After I installed it, it changed the setting to "Use system proxy settings." I asked my ISP about it and they said to just leave it there. It's working okay so I assume the proxy settings are as they should be, but when it says "Use SYSTEM proxy settings" I'm assuming by "system" it means Vista. Does anyone know if I'm correct in this assumption? It sounds like Vista should have the proxy settings on it somewhere. If so, I'd like to know where they are. If not, does anyone know what it means by "SYSTEM?"
andy06

Post by andy06 »

Control Panel>Internet Options>Connections Tab.

LAN settings, that is what you are looking for. Chrome and Internet Explorer use this directly, Firefox gives you the option of customising it our using the system one like the others.
allizomeniz

Post by allizomeniz »

Yes andy06, that's it. Spot on. Very much appreciated! :)