User Help for Mozilla Firefox
LIMPET235

Re: what the heck is superfish??

Post by LIMPET235 »

Re; the Converter extension > viewtopic.php?p=10026665#p10026665
& it's IE Tab Plus.
Not the others.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
GuestNumberOne

Post by GuestNumberOne »

VERIFIED!

It's "Converter." The ba$tards slipped it in.
It doesn't work anyways.

Deleted, destroyed, and the smear campaign for "Converter" begins.
houdini65

Post by houdini65 »

wanamaker wrote:What if you don't have IE Tab? There's some other way these schmucks are getting into the browser. How do I delete this?!?!

Check the privacy policy of each addon that you have installed. I'm sure it's listed in one of them.

For a quick fix, edit your HOSTS file so that http://www.superfish.com is aimed at 127.0.0.1. This prevents it from loading. The line would look like this.

To learn where & how to edit the file, search for "edit HOSTS file", there are many sites that will help show you how. One I like is http://www.kickenhardware.net, very friendly and smart people there. Here is a link to the topic of editing your HOSTS file, but I recommend signing up first.
Edit HOSTS file
GTryder

Post by GTryder »

Spybot S&D is also capable of adding a rather comprehensive list to the "hosts" file.
Ab subabsurda numquid ad veritas. "From the somewhat absurd possibility to reality."
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

GTryder wrote:Spybot S&D is also capable of adding a rather comprehensive list to the "hosts" file.

Which slows Firefox way down & is just another reason I dumped it. ;)
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

GTryder

Post by GTryder »

LIMPET235 wrote:
GTryder wrote:Spybot S&D is also capable of adding a rather comprehensive list to the "hosts" file.

Hadn't considered that it's hosts file might slow down Fx; though, I am certain that Spybot's "Immunize" feature has to be used quite selectively.
It took me some time to figure out that certain aspects of 'this' was what had been virtually locking Firefox's Tools menu; and definitely negatively affected performance, otherwise.
Ab subabsurda numquid ad veritas. "From the somewhat absurd possibility to reality."
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

LIMPET235 wrote:

Yep, things seemed to go pear shaped here when I.5 came out, back then on W2k that huge hosts file slowed things to a crawl, also with Spywareblaster installed it never found a thing.
@Interesting that 1.6, the last non Beta Spybot release came out in July 2008!
On a positive note, if one knows how to use the advanced options, I've witnessed it doing some pretty impressive nasty cleaning.
FYI here: http://blakehandler.wordpress.com/2005/ ... 5-spyware/
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
Gopher John

Post by Gopher John »

I'm using SpyBot Search & Destroy and SpywareBlaster's full immunizations. I've experienced absolutely no slowdown at all. However, I've never used SpyBot S&D's TeaTimer. I scan my machine occasionally with MalwareBytes Free and SuperAntiSpyware Free also. None have ever found anything.

That said, SpyBot S&D 2 has been in beta darned near forever.
The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them. - Albert Einstein
GTryder

Post by GTryder »

mightyglydd wrote:@Interesting that 1.6, the last non Beta Spybot release came out in July 2008!
On a positive note, if one knows how to use the advanced options, I've witnessed it doing some pretty impressive nasty cleaning.

Yeah, I've noticed that the 'base program' looks like it might want to upgrade just about any Wednesday, soon.
Must be he is relying on those weekly updates to the definitions; though, I do seem to recall some minor program updates.

The program interface can be quite a challenge, as well; it seems in many ways to be designed as such, so people become familiar with it, first. He more than encourages reading the manual...
And there are a ton of features in those Advanced Options. Many of them fairly well hidden. It was not all that long ago that I discovered "File Sets" options; which displays (top-center section of GUI) upon an actual scan, and basically selects the depth of scan. The default setting did not seem to be "All", either.

The actual "Host File" (%SystemRoot%\system32\drivers\etc\) additions do not seem to cause any issues on this system. I am not certain as to "how" it technically could/would, as 'all' it does is to set a localhost loopback address.

That "Immunize" feature can be a killer, though. After some research, it was observed to be a fairly well known issue, though I can't recall specifics.
I have the notion that it was designed for IE, and functions added for Firefox as more of an afterthought.
Of these four Immunize options for Firefox:
Cookies
Images
Installations
Pop-ups
I have found that only enabling "Pop-ups" seems to keep things smooth.

SpyBot S&D's TeaTimer, it's "real-time" scanner, has a few times caught less than desirable changes to the registry. Although, on a cold start, it does seem to take a while 'to get over itself'.
houdini65

Post by houdini65 »

You really don't want a HOSTS file over 150k, in my experience, that's when things started to slow a bit.
notsohandy

Post by notsohandy »

I had the same trouble and it was really annoying, especially when I was on eBay. Thanks to you people on this board, I fixed the problem this morning by going to IE Tab Plus and resetting it to Basic. Cleared up immediately. Thanks a lot; really appreciate this forum. :P I do not have SpyBot and, after checking on the internet, decided not to install it in the first place. :wink:
boersenfeger

Post by boersenfeger »

IE Tab Plus offers a new Version v1.96.20101021 without the Crap. :D
viewtopic.php?p=10065737#p10065737
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:65.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/65.0.1
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:67.0) Gecko/20190219 Firefox/67a1
Visit the German Firefox-Forum wwx. camp-firefox.de/forum
jimmyRRpage

Post by jimmyRRpage »

Hi. I'm not a new member, but I don't post that often.

It was Converter for me, too, which really depresses me because I LOVE Converter.

Is there a similar Firefox addon that doesn't include Superfish or any of that crap?
billb1970

Post by billb1970 »

Here is the fix for Firefox the superfish problem. You don't have to delete any files and you don't have to edit the registry. Follow the steps below.
1. Select Tools
2. Select Add-ons
3. Find IE Tab Plus under Extensions
4. Select the IE Tab Plus options
5. Select Basic Mode
This will disable Windows Shopper that uses superfish. Worked fine for me
Bill
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

I think, if you re-read this thread, ^^^, you'll find that IETab Plus has been updated/fixed.