what the heck is superfish??

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
beingspaceman

Re: what the heck is superfish??

Post by beingspaceman »

I discovered that it was the Firefox add-on IE Tab(Internet Explorer Tabs) that was causing all of the trouble with the Superfish buttons popping up all the time. I uninstalled it and the problem ceased. Give it a go!
smudgie

Post by smudgie »

snapster wrote:If you have the IETab plus addon, check its settings, if you select anything but basic mode, it will add the price comparison. I guess this is the root cause

This solved the problem for me. I wouldn't have figured this out without your help, thanks so much!
Walter34.be

Post by Walter34.be »

+1 ! :D

Set to Basic Mode, no more superfish !

Thanks again
travelingpiercer

Post by travelingpiercer »

i would just like to say that the addon NoScript doesnt allow ANYTHING to come/go through unless u allow it. i noticed superfish.com was starting to show up on every single webpage so i googled it and it brought me here. for those of u who are NOT advanced users, DO NOT GET THIS ADDON. it can be quite confusing if u dont know what ur doing. for everyone else, NoScript is an amazing addon. you will have the option to block/allow any scripts running on a webpage. it pretty much lets text come thru but nothing else. ok, enuf about noscript... thanks to everyone for figuring out ietab plus was my culprit. installed new version and POOF! superfish is no more :D =D>
Helpful

Post by Helpful »

Bring up your control panel and you click on it - then click remove - You should be free of the nightmare
cyberneo

Post by cyberneo »

IE TAb Plus Removed. No problem, no superfish.com

IE Tab Plus eklentisi sürekli olarak superfish.com ile gizliden bağlantı kuruyor. Eklentiyi kaldırın, kurtulun.
rob64rock

Post by rob64rock »

The IE TAB PLUS Add-on developer now states on Mozilla AMO page that it's bundled with the Superfish-Window Shopper plugin so he can pay for the cost of maintaining the Add-on's development. For those of you who want a (Clean version, with NO Window Shopper plugin) go here: http://coralietab.mozdev.org/installation.html

Post by Guest »

i stopped superfish changing the option of ie tab plus 1.95. in general option tab i selected "complete" but not other 3 options (especially the 3rd option) and superfish stop annoying, i hope this help, sorry for my bad english

diasble in options did it for me...

Post by Guest »

it tab plus, general settings and uncheck support price comparison.

i use adblock and i would see this listed in the box that showed links not starting up. i too googled and it got me here. long time user of mozilla and lurker of these forums...

for me just unchecking the box "support price comparison" prevented this from trying to run. did not have to do anything else...
Jus sayin

Post by Jus sayin »

Superfish started popping up today on my google homepage. Had Surf Canyon on the page, too. I went through add ons to see if it was there, removed surf canyon (where did that come from?) and got rid of superfish at the same time. To me, NOTHING is harmless when it comes up unbidden, adds on without my request, and presents a mystery when you try to get rid of it!
mcramer

Post by mcramer »

Jus sayin wrote:Superfish started popping up today on my google homepage. Had Surf Canyon on the page, too. I went through add ons to see if it was there, removed surf canyon (where did that come from?) and got rid of superfish at the same time. To me, NOTHING is harmless when it comes up unbidden, adds on without my request, and presents a mystery when you try to get rid of it!

I work for Surf Canyon and our add-on is never installed without the express consent of user. Also, the Superfish functionality is not activated unless you go to the Surf Canyon options page, turn it on and then save your preferences. We have also disabled Superfish for Google, so you shouldn't be seeing anything on your Google homepage. Lastly, the Superfish pop-over has a "more information" link that take you to a page that explains how to remove it. Perhaps something different was going on in your situation or I'm not understanding correctly, but I hope this helps. Please feel free to contact us using http://www.surfcanyon.com/contact.jsp and we'd be more than happy to provide any additional assistance!
kdp

Post by kdp »

I found superfish.com on my computer also runing Windows Vista with Internet Explorer, which hijacked my IE browser when I did Google searches.

I removed it from Internet Explorer browser by going to Tools > Manage Add-ons and disabling Surf Canyon. I uninstalled Surf Canyon from my compter, then I removed the Surf Canyon folder at located at "C:\Program Files (x86)\Surf Canyon".

I also removed it from my registry by running "regedit" from my Windows command prompt (regedit.exe). I selected Edit > Find and did a search on Surf Canyon. I deleted every occurance of Surf Canyon and the problem has gone away.

If anyone has other suggestions, please feel free to provide them to me and others.

Sincerely,

KDP
WIZARD SLEEVE

Post by WIZARD SLEEVE »

Just found this way and it worked...

start menue
my computer
local disc (c)
program files
look through program files for a folder called "surf canyon" then delete it....Badda Bing
disino

Post by disino »

Too many users are getting Surf Canyon without knowing it or wanting it. That is a clear sign it is distributed with other programs as opt-out, with sneaky check boxes that default to install it. It is getting to the point that I have to warn novice windows users to never install any new software at all, because I know they won't be able to figure out all the boxes to uncheck to prevent malware.
mcramer

Post by mcramer »

Surf Canyon is never installed without the user's consent, and there are no sneaky opt-out check boxes. All of the functionality is transparent and optional. Furthermore, it's very easy to uninstall. Instructions are provided at http://www.surfcanyon.com/faq.jsp#q4 as well as on the AMO download page. We're easy to contact and very responsive should anyone require any assistance.

Most people are delighted by the intelligent search recommendations we provide. [remove blog link-ln] offers a wealth of information regarding media feedback, user testimonials and industry acclaim. However, we recognize that some people do not appreciate the fruits of our labor, so we make the software as easy to remove as possible.