what the heck is superfish??

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
patrickjdempsey

Re: what the heck is superfish??

Post by patrickjdempsey »

I don't really understand why any extension developer would be tempted to add this trash... or why Mozilla permits it's distribution on their website. It really hurts the reputation of both the specific extension developers and the entire Firefox project.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
Manzomanen

Post by Manzomanen »

Hi there,

although I haven't read the whole thread, maybe it hasn't been mentioned yet: FastestFox 4.6.4 (this is my current version I use) uses superfish.com, too, in its standard configuration. However, one can turn it off quite easily by: "properties of fastestFox" (I mean in the Addo-on Manager) -> "search results" and then disable "similar product search".
GEOFFRETIRED

Post by GEOFFRETIRED »

To get rid of the superfish that shows up briefly at bottom left of start up screen I removed the mozilla program using the control panel and the add and remove program feature.
I forgot to back up my favorites so I lost the list.
Luckily I had backed them up few weeks ago so that has not been too much of a problem
The mozilla firefox now runs normally. it had recently been running very slow
GamRGrrrl

Post by GamRGrrrl »

So, I was having this problem as well, and was getting very frustrated, because I didn't have ANY of the extentions, add-ons etc that you all mentioned. I finally figured out how to remove this from my browing. I use an Interactive Theme for my Firefox, that was made by Brand Thunder. To get rid of those annoying "see similar" tabs that always came up, and the stupid superfish redirections that it always did, I opened my "add-ons manager", went to "extentions", clicked the "options" button under the "Default Theme Engine- Personas Interactive", went to the "Search" tab, and I unchecked EVERY damn box that had the words "WebSearch+" in it. Then I refreshed all my tabs, and it was GONE!!!!!! It was great. I was extremely happy. Hope this helps someone else as well!!!
patrickjdempsey

GamRGrrrl wrote:I use an Interactive Theme for my Firefox, that was made by Brand Thunder.

Which is a marketing tool masquerading as a theme. I'm not surprised if they are Superfish partners. Money is money right?
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
Walla2

Post by Walla2 »

Its bundled with the calculator add-on. When I disabled the Calculator, superfish went away.
Wheatandoats

Post by Wheatandoats »

It was also bundled with calculator 1.1.26 for me. Luckily you can remove it by going to options and deselecting similar product service.
Anoniem 222

Post by Anoniem 222 »

The Awesome Screenshot addon includes this too. Fortunately, it's disabled by default - though it pops up a bar asking you if you want to enable it the first time you visit a shopping site.

You can disable it via the Options screen.
guest757

Post by guest757 »

Don't know what it is, but Foxfire addon: Better Privacy blocks it.
Click on the options when it comes up. Look for Untrusted tab and Mark Superfish untrusted.
From then on it is blocked.
Also very interesting to see how much other junk is trying to access your computer via the browser.
Hope that helps.
Shalom
Guest757
patrickjdempsey

Personally, I wouldn't count on relying on another extension to block it. Any extension you've downloaded that has installed this without your express permission SHOULD NOT be trusted IMO.
txgeekygirl

Re: what the heck is superfish??/GOT RID OF IT!!YAY!

Post by txgeekygirl »

I have gone NUTS trying to find the source of this CRAP on my computer.Even DISABLED IE-even though I don't have the tabs plus I didn't have the calculator NONE of what has been mentioned so far. Downloaded and ran every reputable spyware program available.As you can see by my name I am not beginner when it comes to computers.This had me BAFFLED. I could not find a TRACE of it on my computer not in the registry ....NOWHERE FOUND IT. IT was bundled secretly into the YOUTUBE LIGHT SWITCH add-on!!The way I found this out-was when I allowed it to unfurl on an amazon button and clicked the little "i" in italics-THERE IT WAS -powered by YouTube light switch.This is how anyone plagued by this browser parasite may find where its coming from and be able to disable it..Its like someone just unchained my FF again. I hope this helps someone. I removed that add-on and the problem is G O N E . =D>
patrickjdempsey

Glad you found it... the people who make and distribute this junk need to be flogged.
adc237

Post by adc237 »

From their website:

"If WindowShopper does not appear on your list of add-ons or programs, you are probably receiving our functionality through one of our distribution partners. Look for add-ons such as Surf Canyon, FastestFox, Conduit, Converter, Calculator, IETab Plus, Fox Lingo, , FB-Timer, SmartSuggestor, Special Savings, or Similar Web and go into their respective Options menu to disable the price comparison feature."
hugh234

Post by hugh234 »

in your add ons go to "window shopper" and remove.
ShnizmuffiN

Post by ShnizmuffiN »

You can add Awesome Screenshot to the list of addons that tack on superfish.
Last edited by DanRaisch on August 4th, 2012, 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited for language.