How can I print grocery coupons? (Linux)

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
DanRaisch

Re: How can I print grocery coupons? (Linux)

Post by DanRaisch »

Easy there. I didn't say ANYONE was being mean. My post was only intended to try to keep this from turning into a Windows bashing, OS vs OS session. I'm sure you didn't intend anything of the sort but there are those who will jump on any such opportunity to push their personal views on the matter.
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

And part of what I was wondering was if the person that did switch her to Linux was still around and supporting her. As much as I like Linux, there are people who I would never recommend it to. It really does need a certain level of computer knowledge.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

I think installing Ubuntu for a newbie an interesting idea. Ubuntu is certainly MUCH easier to protect, and I think the record in this case suggests that Windows would have needed a lot more support. :) Ubuntu is mostly fairly easy if everything works. Hopefully Zebra45 will not need any advanced stuff.

Zebra45, I you do need more help with your computer, if you can't get help from the person who installed it, I encourage you to try
viewforum.php?f=37 on this forum (they should be pretty knowledgeable and helpful).
Also try the Ubuntu forums:
http://ubuntuforums.org/
and https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu .
VanillaMozilla

Re: Help - I know nothing!

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Zebra, does your printer work for other stuff on the computer? For example, will it print a test page or a letter? If it will, the problem is not in your computer.
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

Off topic for the OP with Linux.

IIRC, there are two coupon printing plugins that I have seen listed in Installed Plugins listing for OP's in at SUMO. I was able to grab this plugin / XPI.
Coupon Manager 5.0.0.4 - Coupon Printing Agent from SmartSource.com - News America Marketing Inc.
GUID is {0C7E3F01-99E9-4095-9BDC-F84724960B57}

The install.rdf file is dated 08-28-2008 (like what, 2 months after 3.0 was released and long before 3.5?) and the maxVersion is 3.*.* - it won't be flagged as incompatible in Firefox 3.6, but it won't install the "plugin" either. In 3.0 and 3.5 the NPCpnMgr.dll file is dropped in to the \plugins\ folder; Firefox 3.6 doesn't allow that to happen. That "extension" needs to be updated for Firefox 3.6 with a correct method of installation for the DLL, at least.

Now when I extracted that DLL and placed it in the \plugins\ folder myself (Firefox 3.6 allows that to be done, an XPI install can't drop a DLL into that folder) it shows as an installed plugin, but it doesn't work on the two coupon websites I tried it on. I suspect that the API that plugin uses was removed from later versions of Firefox - just speculation on my part, no investigation done as to why it doesn't work in Firefox 3.6 versions.

Ed
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

It might be good to remember that the OP says he is a complete computer newbie.
junmoses

Post by junmoses »

You can download some add-ons for your browser to enable you to print coupons. If you can’t install the add-ons, then you need to create a new profile in your Firefox. That will help you print your grocery coupons.

by:
Last edited by junmoses on October 23rd, 2010, 9:22 am, edited 3 times in total.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

junmoses wrote:You can download some add-ons for your browser to enable you to print coupons. If you can’t install the add-ons then you need to create a new profile in your Firefox. That could let you print coupon codes.

But only if the addon can somehow print under an operating system that the coupon website's printer driver is not designed to work with.