FF defaults to manual proxy: 127.0.0.1

User Help for Mozilla Firefox

Re: FF defaults to manual proxy: 127.0.0.1

Post by Guest »

Hello. I was having the very same problem for months after getting rid of a fake anti virus. Exactly the same it seems and everything I did to try and fix it failed.
I just accomplished it though by completely uninstalling Firefox and exporting my bookmarks and passwords, and then reinstalling. The problem no longer exists. I don't know what was causing it, but it was very annoying. :|
Alex 3459:43534:rr:2

Post by Alex 3459:43534:rr:2 »

I had the same problem and found out that in prefs.js were about 5 settings named something like fiddlerhook. Couple days ago I updated fiddler so looks like my issue caused by it.

Post by Guest »

Thanks for the info :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Guest, you did not solve a problem by uninstalling and reinstalling. That procedure does not affect your configuration. You did, however, mess around with your profile, and evidently made a new profile. That is what solved your problem.

Post by Guest »

But before, just deleting the profile and letting it create a new one did nothing to fix my problem. It would still default to proxy. I eve deleted the lines for the proxy settings and they still reappeared in the new one. I even went to about:config and reset the proxy lines a zillion times, but it would reset to proxy as soon as firefox was closed and opened again. I really don't think the profile in this case was making it default like it was.
Yuval

Post by Yuval »

I encountered the same problem.
It is not because of FF, but because of the Fiddler add-on.
This problem occurs when switching Fiddler settings to "Force traffic to Fiddler".
Apparently, when Fiddler is set to "ForceOn" mode it forces a change in the manual proxy settings. I can understand this - the manual proxy is changed so that Fiddler could listen to it.

In short - simply change the Fiddler mode to "Do not send traffic to Fiddler" (Disabled).

Hope this helps.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Guest,
Is Fiddler a plugin? I don't see Fiddler as an add-on that is offered by Mozilla. That sounds risky to me, but that's your decision.

If it's an extension, a new profile would nuke it. If it's a plugin (not an extension), it would not be affected by your profile settings. You could, however, disable it from the Tools > Add-ons > plugins menu. If you can't do that, it's a really bad actor.

It's possible that you did not create a new profile correctly, but instead deleted the prototype profile that is stored with your program files.

In case you need it, there's a good explanation of the profile and how to manage it in the Knowledge Base.
Yuval

Post by Yuval »

Apparently, the add-on is called FiddlerHook -
http://www.fiddlertool.com/Fiddler2/addons/fiddlerhook/

It's a Web Debugging Proxy, which is probably why it is the cause for this behavior.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Yuval wrote:Apparently, the add-on is called FiddlerHook

Apparently not. If you read the description, you will see that it "points Firefox at Fiddler." There is also Fiddler Switch, which also controls Fiddler from Firefox (but is not Fiddler, and is not available for the current version).

According to the Fiddler Web site, Fiddler is some sort of proxy control. Who would think? You add some proxy control software to your system and your computer uses a proxy. Imagine that!

Post by Guest »

I don't believe I even have Fiddler... let alone heard of it. And I still had this problem. So.... I don't think Fiddler was causing my problem.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

You can start Firefox in Safe mode to check if your problem is caused by an extension or theme (switch to the DEFAULT theme: Tools > Add-ons > Themes).
If starting in Safe-mode works then disable your extensions (Tools > Add-ons > Extensions) or use the option in the Safe-mode window) and re-enable them one by one until you find which one is causing it.
Close and restart Firefox after each change.
See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Standard_diag ... ion_issues
betabeta1

Post by betabeta1 »

I looked for files modified at the time I thought a similar Malware acted on my PC.

Found 3 lines added to the:

C:/users/xxxxxmyprofile/appdata/roaming/mozilla/firefox/profiles/xxxxx.default/extensionsfoxmarks@kei.com/default/preferences/prefs.js

I removed them, and I saved the prefs.js file again. They were like: user_pref("network.proxy.http", "127.0.0.1"); user_pref("network.proxy.http_port", 58505); user_pref("network.proxy.type", 1); More or less.

My suggestions: Check all *.js files in firefox/ subfolders, plugins included (in my case, as you can see, it was in foxmarks subfolder).

Took me a while, finally solved.
SimonTemplar240

Post by SimonTemplar240 »

I was able to solve the Firefox Mozilla defaulting to the manual proxy configuration problem by examining my add ons. In my case, It was Password Exporter that changed the setting. Disabling the add on fixed it!

Good news is that you can always enable it to do what you need to do, but be prepared to disable it as soon as you have exported or imported whatever info you require.

I hope this helps somebody out there!
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Thanks for coming back with the solution.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
ricox

Post by ricox »

Thank's!!! In my case it was addons -> server spy...