(Solved-Mac) Uninstall "Adobe Acrobat Create PDF 1.0" addon

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Nanotech

(Solved-Mac) Uninstall "Adobe Acrobat Create PDF 1.0" addon

Post by Nanotech »

I recently installed Adobe Acrobat X on mac, and when I opened up firefox I noticed that I got a new addon titled "Adobe Acrobat - Create PDF 1.0." The uninstall and disable buttons are not greyed out, but when I try to uninstall the addon and restart firefox it's still there. I could not find a settings in adobe acrobat to disable this addon, but one peculiar point was in preferences under "internet" the "display pdf in browser using" option was checked and greyed out. However, I do not know whether this is pertinent to this problem. How do I get rid of the addon? Adobe acrobat x did not install any additional plugins. Any help would be appreciated.

Edit: Never mind, I figured it out. I went to Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/Mozilla/Extensions and looked through the strings of random numbers and letters. In one of the folder there was one named "web2pdfextension@web2pdf.adobedotcom" and I deleted it. When I reopened firefox the addon was gone.
Anonymous Cairn

Re: (Solved) Uninstall "Adobe Acrobat - Create PDF 1.0" addo

Post by Anonymous Cairn »

How do you do the same for PCs? I'm looking at C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\Default\ but haven't seen anything resembling a folder like that.
KWierso

Re: (Solved) Uninstall "Adobe Acrobat - Create PDF 1.0" addo

Post by KWierso »

Anonymous Cairn wrote:How do you do the same for PCs? I'm looking at C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\Default\ but haven't seen anything resembling a folder like that.

Check in Firefox's folder in the Program Files folder (or wherever you installed Firefox to). (So... something like C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\)

There should be an "extensions" folder in there that can be used by outside programs to install extensions directly. The web2pdf extension folder would probably be in there.
Anonymous Cairn

Re: (Solved-Mac) Uninstall "Adobe Acrobat Create PDF 1.0" ad

There are three folders in that directory, but they are empty.

The only add-on I can access from either the \Roaming or the \Program Files Mozilla folders is my Greasemonkey. I can't seem to tough my AVG one either.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi,
I suppose you've tried removing it via the Addons screen?
Is it in Control Panel > Add & Remove?
See > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Uninstalling_add-ons
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
Anonymous Cairn

There was a seperate install to remove a ZoneAlarm plugin, but I don't see anything separate for Acrobat or AVG. The installed files for Acrobat are:

Adobe AIR
Adobe Acrobat X Pro
Adobe Flash Player 10 ActiveX
Adobe Flash Player 10 Plugin
Adobe Reader X

I already removed Adobe AIR. I'm not sure if the plugin is what I should be considering.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

May I ask, why are you referring to ZA or AVG?
The Adobe Flash Active X & Flash 10 are needed for running Flash in IE (Active X) & Firefox.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
KWierso

Post by KWierso »

The plugin is used to open up pdfs inside of Firefox. I don't think that's anything to do with saving web to pdf. (Although the "pdf in Firefox" plugin has never given me anything but trouble, so I always disable it and open them externally.)
jaknudsen

Post by jaknudsen »

LIMPET235 wrote:Hi,
I suppose you've tried removing it via the Addons screen?
Is it in Control Panel > Add & Remove?
See > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Uninstalling_add-ons

Apparently that is not possible:

(the screenshot is in Norwegian, "Slett" means Delete, "Slå av" means Disable.)

The Adobe Acrobat and Mozilla Feedback are the only addons that can not be removed. I can understand that Feedback shouldn't be deleted, but installing and removing an addon from an external, commercial actor should be voluntarily.
Anonymous Cairn

LIMPET235 wrote:May I ask, why are you referring to ZA or AVG?
The Adobe Flash Active X & Flash 10 are needed for running Flash in IE (Active X) & Firefox.

I was drawing comparisons. Zone Alarm, upon install, had a browser add-on that couldn't be removed from Firefox, but could be uninstalled in the Add/Remove section of the control panel, as it was listed seperately from the standard Zone Alarm install.

AVG has similarly installed an add-on, but I can't remove it in the same way. I felt the Adobe's Create Web PDF might be analagous to the AVG case.
KWierso

Post by KWierso »

Maybe you can remove it from within Acrobat itself?
jaknudsen

Post by jaknudsen »

I asked Adobe on their getsatisfaction.com support page: http://getsatisfaction.com/adobe/topics ... in_firefox

Chime in there if you've got the same problem.
Anonymous Cairn

jaknudsen wrote:I asked Adobe on their getsatisfaction.com support page: http://getsatisfaction.com/adobe/topics ... in_firefox

Chime in there if you've got the same problem.

Amazing...thank you.
jaknudsen

Post by jaknudsen »

No problem. They've answered my question, I'll paste it here for convenience:

The reason you can't remove it in the way you were expecting is because it loads via a plug-in instead of as an add-on extension.

There are a few methods of removing it from Firefox, depending on what degree of removal you want:

- Turn off the toolbar in Firefox.
1. Choose View > Toolbars.
2. Click to uncheck Adobe Acrobat - Create PDF.

- Disable the plug-in in Firefox.
1. Choose Tools > Add-Ons.
2. Click the Plugins tab/section.
3. Locate and then click on the Adobe Acrobat - Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox.
4. Click Disable. Restart Firefox for the change to take effect.

- Uninstall the plug-in.
1. Open the Add Or Remove Programs (Windows XP) or Programs And Features (Windows 7/Vista) item in the Control Panel.
2. Locate and then click on Acrobat X.
3. Click Change (or Uninstall/Change).
4. Click Next.
5. Click Modify.
6. In the list, expand Create Adobe PDF.
7. Expand Adobe PDFMaker.
8. Locate Mozilla Firefox.
9. Click the install options button to the left of Firefox and choose This Feature Will Not Be Available.
10. Click Next, and then click Update. Once the installer finishes, the plug-in should be removed.
gobarron

Re: (Solved-Win7) Uninstall "Adobe Acrobat Create PDF 1.0" a

Post by gobarron »

How to get rid of Adobe Create PDF Extension IN Firefox Win 7

This worked for me.

(I) Navigate to "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 10.0\Acrobat\Browser\WCFirefoxExtn\components"
and create a new temp folder. Move the following files from the components folder to your new "Temp" Folder.
1. WCFirefox4Extn.dll (For newer Firefox browsers)
2. WCFirefox3Extn.dll (For older Firefox browsers)
3. IWeb2PDFComponent.xpt

(II) C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins and create temp folder there
Put the following in the new temp folder along with any other Languages that are there.
nppdf32.dll
nppdf32.DEU
nppdf32.FRA

(III) Open RegEdit and Search for "web2pdfextension@web2pdf.adobedotcom"
1. Select or "highlight" the "web2pdfextension@web2pdf.adobedotcom" entry.
2. Click on File and select "export" and export (backup) the "web2" entry to a safe storage folder on your computer.
3. Right click the "web2" entry and select delete!

(IV) Start Firefox and see "Create PDF" no More!