>1 Profile Managers

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
FoxFox

Re: >1 Profile Managers

Post by FoxFox »

GREAT .. thanks .. it's now working!!! :D
I had downloaded "Microsoft Visual C 2010 Redistributable Package", but i thought why install the whole thing, when i just need 2 of its DLLs?
It looks really good... =D> :-k
L.A.R. Grizzly

Post by L.A.R. Grizzly »

FoxFox wrote:GREAT .. thanks .. it's now working!!! :D
I had downloaded "Microsoft Visual C 2010 Redistributable Package", but i thought why install the whole thing, when i just need 2 of its DLLs?
It looks really good... =D> :-k

You're welcome! I don't know why the devs didn't include them in the build, since it won't work without them! :-k
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 33.0.2, Epyrus Mail 2.1.2, Firefox 115.8.0esr, Thunderbird 115.8.1, and SeaMonkey 2.53.18
L.A.R. Grizzly

Post by L.A.R. Grizzly »

I just noticed that they released Mozilla Profile Manager 1.0 Beta 1. It still doesn't include the 2 needed .dll files. Once I copied them from my working version of 0.2, beta 1 works as expected.
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 33.0.2, Epyrus Mail 2.1.2, Firefox 115.8.0esr, Thunderbird 115.8.1, and SeaMonkey 2.53.18
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

FoxFox wrote:I forgot about all that stuff .. those Firefox hackers have been very busy haven't they!
I have been focussing on extension-based security (AdBlock+, NoScript, FlashBlock, BetterPrivacy (deletes Flash cookies), LeechBlock), but i now see that they only cover the most-common, or maybe the most basic, forms of malware.

Not to mention the fact that in order to properly run Firefox 2.0, you are probably using out-of-date plugins... which means that even when you run your separate profile with a more up-to-date Firefox you could still encounter some rather nasty plugin exploits that are out in the wild. And because 2.0 doesn't offer some of the anti-spoofing/phishing technology that 3.6 does you could easily stumble into a spoof/phishing site that could have easily been avoided. I think you will find that there are conquerable replacements for the most popular 2.0 extensions, and in some cases extremely old addons may still run with minor modifications. There are several threads on this topic sprinkled throughout mozillaZine if you search around.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

patrickjdempsey wrote:Not to mention the fact that in order to properly run Firefox 2.0, you are probably using out-of-date plugins... which means that even when you run your separate profile with a more up-to-date Firefox you could still encounter some rather nasty plugin exploits that are out in the wild.

Good point. The plugins may be even more vulnerable than the old browser. I wouldn't consider running with old plugins. They're a huge target. I'm not even sure about the new ones.
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

VanillaMozilla wrote:I'm not even sure about the new ones.

There's a reason my browser runs with only Flash enabled... it's easy enough to turn Java back on when I need it.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/