Android phone mobile hotspot and firefox

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Ben Cartwright

Android phone mobile hotspot and firefox

Post by Ben Cartwright »

I realize that this may very well not be an issue with firefox itself but I don't know where else to turn for some help. (other than the android forums where I have made an inquiry)

Background:
Phone = HTC Incredible, android based, mobile hotspot capable. Verizon is the provider and I am paying for the mobile broadband connect/mobile hotspot feature for this phone on my plan.

Laptop: Dell latitude 6400 running win xp pro and using an Intel wireless card. Laptop works fine on my home wireless network.

Firefox: Can't remember the version and I'm not near the laptop right now but I think it is set on auto update.

Tried to use the 3G hotspot deal tonight and almost but not quite got it working.

Turned on the hotspot/mobile networking on the phone. Phone says it was broadcasting and gave me the device name, password, etc.

Turned on my laptop which connected to our home wireless by default as it always does with everything working fine, able to surf the web and all.

Used the Intel connection management software that is associated with the Intel wireless card in the laptop to disconnect the home network signal and search for new networks. It found the HTC network right away and after some password tweaking I got it to connect to the HTC network. Said it was fully connected, full signal strength, full speed, just like our home network shows up. The mobile hotspot management program on the phone reported that the HTC network was broadcasting and that one user was logged onto the HTC network (there is a limit of 5 devices).

But when I went to use firefox to get to some websites firefox reported that it could not connect to said sites.

Tried rebooting a few times, tried opening and closing firefox, but no joy. Same situation, HTC network is connected, strong signal, full bars, but I can't get to the net. Haven't tried IE yet, maybe it's some setting in FF? This is all really new to me so I'm hopping it's something simply that I'm missing.

Thanks
Daifne

Re: Android phone mobile hotspot and firefox

Post by Daifne »

Does the same thing happen in IE?
Ben Cartwright

Post by Ben Cartwright »

Daifne wrote:Does the same thing happen in IE?

Well, my apologies, looks like it is working correctly now this morning with both IE and FF.
cycleman321

Post by cycleman321 »

Ben,
I have nearly the same set up and problem you had. But I cannot connect to Firefox. My wireless connections indicate that I have full strength HTC connection. When I try to connect to the internet, I get a pop up that says cannot connect, the connection is lost and the device is no longer available. Yet I still see the signal strength and connection information in the wireless available networks window. Any suggestions?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »